Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run in the Dark 2015 - Cork, Dublin, Belfast - 5k or 10k - November 11th

Options
  • 28-06-2015 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to warn anybody who plans on doing this to sign up as soon as you're sure you want to do it. Last year it sold out really quickly and very early. I was on the waiting list for weeks and still didn't get a spot. I registered back in Feburary this year. Taking no chances :D

I'ts for a very good cause and anyone who is a fan of mid week races will love this. This year they announced that every entrant gets a free tech top (hear that aquinn!?). This is the first year we'll get a tee.

This event is on Thursday 11th November, 2015 in Cork, Dublin & Belfast.

Link: http://www.runinthedark.org/

Has anyone signed up for it yet? Did you enjoy it last year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I didnt enjoy it last year as I spent the first KM or two trying to get around walkers. It was a clusterf**k at the start line of the Dublin event.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Oh I'm treating it as a fun run. Nothing serious. It's for a good cause and a 10k mid week is always good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Based on the new course map on the website, the Dublin 10K route is much improved compared to last year's - no lap of Ringsend Park with its tight, slippery corners. And the merge with the back of the 5K field comes much later in the race, almost at the finish line.

The Belfast route is TOUGH! Up the hill of Stormont - once for the 5K and twice for the 10K!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

I swore I was never again doing Run In The Dark after last year. I lost count of how many walkers I nearly tripped over in the first 2K, some of the unlit streets were downright dangerous and the 5K course wasn't measured properly.

However, the course for this year looks a lot better, there's a long sleeve top for early entries and there aren't many other races in November that would suit me. So I think I might be tempted!

I'm dying to see the new long sleeve tech top we'll get this one. :p

• Advertisement

Calling all tech top collectors. Anyone who joins before August 31st gets a free long sleeve tech top!

Pink11 wrote: »
    Calling all tech top collectors. Anyone who joins before August 31st gets a free long sleeve tech top!

I've succumbed to the pressure of the RITD emails and signed up already. It was good fun last year despite all the organisational glitches.

I've succumbed to the pressure of the RITD emails and signed up already. It was good fun last year despite all the organisational glitches.

It's my post marathon fun run with a few friends. It'll be fun and it's for a good cause sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I did the great pink run yesterday and signed up for this today.
    Going to try make 10km a bit less painful by then :)

Yay for the free t-shirt

Collected my race pack today in Lifestyle Sports in Mary St.

If you entered early enough to get a tech top, be warned that the tops have been left out of some of the race packs. They sorted it out for me there and then but I suspect if there are a lot of packs without tops they'll run out of spare ones by Tuesday.

Top is long sleeved, deep blue with the RiTD logo and Lifestyle logo printed with reflective ink. Quality doesn't look that great but I've seen worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Pop up event in Limerick too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭jasonb

I signed up for the 5k one a couple of weeks ago, so the Dublin event at least hadn't sold out by then. After I signed up for it I read lots of bad reports about last year's race, but as people have commented here, some of the issues seem to have been addressed with the new course etc.

This is my first race since I start running again (after a 9 year break) and it'll be my fifth run in total. Just decided to do a race instead of 5k on my own to see what it's like and to run in the City at night. So I'm looking forward to it!

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I've signed up for this with a few people from work. Long time since I've ran a 5k on the road so interested to see how it goes.

My big concern with these city centre races is the course length. So often, I've seen them go wrong. You can get it officially measured and all that but you still have to lay out the course correctly on the evening. From stewarding at the Grant Thornton, I know there is very little time between road closures and the race start to get everything laid out so people need to know what they are doing. Hopefully they get it right on the night. Only one turnaround point so if they get this and the start/finish right then there shouldn't be any issues.

Collected my race pack today in Lifestyle Sports in Mary St.

If you entered early enough to get a tech top, be warned that the tops have been left out of some of the race packs. They sorted it out for me there and then but I suspect if there are a lot of packs without tops they'll run out of spare ones by Tuesday.

Top is long sleeved, deep blue with the RiTD logo and Lifestyle logo printed with reflective ink. Quality doesn't look that great but I've seen worse.

Also had the same issue, despite registering very early on, spent 15m trying and eventually getting the top.
    I think they entered the date in backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭raddo

My wife and I both registered for this in Cork, but somehow we got 2 large tech tops.
    I rang the organisers but was told that they couldn't help as she was registered for large and there wasn't enough spares.
    So just chancing my arm and wondering if there is anyone that would like to swap a Medium Tech Top for a Large one??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My local town is having a pop up Run in the Dark. Tempted to enter but would only be able to do the 5km as I'm working late all week and will only finish work at 7 on Wednesday evening. But just wondering does anyone else find the price for the pop up event a little bit steep at €25? It's not chip timed, you get a Run in the Dark buff (whatever that is) and a flashing armband, no technical t-shirt like the main events, and a bottle of water and a snack at the end. I know Darkness into Light is about the same price but you get a tshirt, a little candle light and some spread put on afterwards.
    On the plus side, Run in the Dark is on a route I would like to get a run on. But just not sure I can hand over €50 for myself and the son to run 5k...

Just got an email from RITD saying there's going to be 9,000 people at the Dublin event tomorrow. That's a lot bigger than I thought.

Also, I'm a little confused, does everyone get a t-shirt, or just the people who entered early? Or are there two t-shirt types, one for early entrants and the other for everyone?

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Collected my race pack last night and it contained my race number and 4 safety pins!!!!....Is that all you get for the €30?

Do you get a t-shirt or a medal at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Looking forward to all the giving out about this race tomorrow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Collected my race pack last night and it contained my race number and 4 safety pins!!!!....Is that all you get for the €30?

Needed to sign up early for your top

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Looking forward to all the giving out about this race tomorrow. :D

Its a fun run and not a race for a time, going by past reports

Did you not get a flashing led armband as well? The pack I got in the post had my number, 7 safety pins (!) and the armband.

As far as I know, there is some sort of 'goody bag' or something when you finish, but I don't think there's a medal as such, and as someone else said, I believe the t-shirts only went to the early registers...

J.

jasonb wrote: »
    Did you not get a flashing led armband as well? The pack I got in the post had my number, 7 safety pins (!) and the armband.

As far as I know, there is some sort of 'goody bag' or something when you finish, but I don't think there's a medal as such, and as someone else said, I believe the t-shirts only went to the early registers...

J.

I got 3 safety pins!!!!

Ha! You can borrow some of mine if you want... ;)

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Thanks!....Will swap safety pins for tech t-shirt(M) if anyone interested:)

Thanks!....Will swap safety pins for tech t-shirt(M) if anyone interested:)

It was actually a long sleeve techincal top!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I've signed up for this with a few people from work. Long time since I've ran a 5k on the road so interested to see how it goes.

My big concern with these city centre races is the course length. So often, I've seen them go wrong. You can get it officially measured and all that but you still have to lay out the course correctly on the evening. From stewarding at the Grant Thornton, I know there is very little time between road closures and the race start to get everything laid out so people need to know what they are doing. Hopefully they get it right on the night. Only one turnaround point so if they get this and the start/finish right then there shouldn't be any issues.

Looking at the map of the course(s) for dublin there is just no logical way both courses can be the correct distance. The 5 and 10k courses appear to split at a point just a few hundred metres away from the 5k marker on the 10k course, yet there seems to still be a long way to the 5k finish!!

Hopefully it's just a glitch in the graphic.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53a44202e4b01c88f6aaea8c/t/55781c09e4b0f3b4bae252dd/1433934865666/?format=1500w

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Quick question the missus is driving into collect me and maybe watch the finishers in Dublin. Where could she park? Not great with that area of dublin?

menoscemo wrote: »
    Looking at the map of the course(s) for dublin there is just no logical way both courses can be the correct distance. The 5 and 10k courses appear to split at a point just a few hundred metres away from the 5k marker on the 10k course, yet there seems to still be a long way to the 5k finish!!

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53a44202e4b01c88f6aaea8c/t/55781c09e4b0f3b4bae252dd/1433934865666/?format=1500w

I see what you mean, the 5k marker for the 10k runners does look a lot closer to the split point than the finish line for the 5k runners is. But I assume it is just a bad graphic, especially as the 6k then looks a little too far away from the 5k. I'd guess the 5k marker will be farther than the road tonight than it is on the map.

I did read about there being issues last year, with the 'joint' finish line actually being a couple of hundred metres farther down the road than the 5k distance, so that 5k runners actually ran 5.x km. But I believe this is a different course, and they've fixed that issue.
    Quick question the missus is driving into collect me and maybe watch the finishers in Dublin. Where could she park? Not great with that area of dublin?

Probably the closest car park that definitely won't be affected by road closures would be Fleet St or Andrew's Lane, which is only what, 10 minutes walk/warm up away. I know there is a Car Park at the Irish Life Mall on Abbey street, but I don't know if that might be affected by the road closures or not...

J.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »

Saw that, it was apparently 5.5k last year.

Advertisement