Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run in the Dark 2015 - Cork, Dublin, Belfast - 5k or 10k - November 11th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Times are up now

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

duckmusic wrote: »
    Times are up now

Can you provide a link? Can't see them!

Edit: found them: http://results.runinthedark.ie/?event_id=20&_ga=1.211299669.1146591702.1447252422

I had low expectations for this. I was never taking it seriously. It was a light fun run with friends and that's it.

Because of the delay, I was dying to pee for the entire race - it was so bad i considered running to a toilet mid race but decided to wait. I was in pain!

There was no need for the delay at bag collection though - when you eventually got up there, there were loads of people free and waiting to hand out the goodie bags. The queue was unnecessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Pink11 wrote: »

Yes, still no results as far as I can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

http://results.runinthedark.ie/?event_id=31

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Are the 5k results listed the 5k times or the 5.5k times? I suspect the latter.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

No, they are the 5k times

Green&Red wrote: »
    No, they are the 5k times

So those times are not from the finish line but from the mat long before it? Interesting; the first 4 or 5 guys look to have been close, most of them were probably racing to the line. The placings might very well have been different at the finish I imagine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

The most dangerous thing about the race last night was the headphone wearers despite the warnings not to wear them. There were so many obstacles to contend with as is was, it made it ten times worse.
    I saw a girl lined up at front row wearing them. Crazy stuff.
    But am I surprised? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

menoscemo wrote: »
    So those times are not from the finish line but from the mat long before it? Interesting; the first 4 or 5 guys look to have been close, most of them were probably racing to the line. The placings might very well have been different at the finish I imagine?

What a bizarre set up! And not even an official 5.4Km PB for their troubles :rolleyes:.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    What a bizarre set up! And not even an official 5.4Km PB for their troubles :rolleyes:.

And nobody was even let know where the 'actual' finish line was :pac:.
    I knew this was going to happen just by looking at the map yesterday. There was just no way that the finish line could possibly be at 5k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Ososlo wrote: »
    The most dangerous thing about the race last night was the headphone wearers despite the warnings not to wear them. There were so many obstacles to contend with as is was, it made it ten times worse.
    But am I surprised? No.

This is petty. There are basic fundamental problems with the organisation of this event and people wearing earphones is so far down the list its not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

It sounds like many of the same issues as that disastrous Samsung Night Run

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Peadar_85 wrote: »
    It sounds like many of the same issues as that disastrous Samsung Night Run

Didn't do the Run in the Dark myself as I was working late. Would it be a case that maybe Dublin city centre is just not a safe or suitable place to run a night race?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Ososlo wrote: »
    But am I surprised? No.

I was wearing headphones but no music on them - i just needed it for pacing - the nike app gives the time per km. Some may have been in the same boat.

Is there anywhere u can see pics if you type ur bib number?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

10k results
    4041Laura TRAVOSI00:34:10Female141996Jessica DAVIES00:34:37Female2116068Elaine BRICK00:35:24Female3

Anyone aware of these 'Athletes' in any clubs ...if times are genuine, someone has slipped up badly ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Totally, so who is the winner, the guy over 5k or 5.6k? Was it a 5k race or 5.6k race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

This thread should be stickied, it was the same crap last year when I did it. Did you not all read last years thread? These people have no idea how to put on a race. I have a basic rule, I never go back to races I don't enjoy first time. Works for me. The overriding problem is there should be a limit of about 5k people in total and no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

I agree with many of the posters above. This was my first run in the dark race. I got to the start area about 7.40, wanted to p but decided to wait, goddamit it was around 8.25 before the race started!
    I was doing the 10k and soon realised that alot of people paid little attention to the instruction for 10k runners near the start and 5k to the rear. There were people walking in pairs as I crossed the start.
    So it was bedlam trying to work my way past people who were clearly slow and just jogging/walking. Also alot of people with headphones taking no notice of what was going on around them. very frustrating.
    Getting to the Point Depot area I saw a few people crossing over the plastic tape/cones to the other side of the road so they gained probably a half km and joking that they cheated the system. After the 10k parted with the 5k it became a lot less conjested and was able to race the rest of the way to the finish. The ques for the baggage pickup were huge also. I know this race was for charity and was considered to be a fun race also but I doubt i'll do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

And nobody was even let know where the 'actual' finish line was :pac:.
    I knew this was going to happen just by looking at the map yesterday. There was just no way that the finish line could possibly be at 5k.

Yea, it was a bit confusing alright. I was in fourth and the guys in second and third stopped at the mat seeming to know to score but it was just 2 mats in the middle of the road with no indication that this was the 5k point/finish or whatever they were calling it. The finish positions are the time at the mat. I jogged back to the finish to collect my bag but the official result was from the mat.

The most dangerous things about the race was that they couldn't effectively separate the people going out on one side of the road from the runners coming back on the other side of the road. Not only was everybody going out on both sides of the road but they were on the paths too so there was literally nowhere to go. A lot of the runners were in their own worlds too (head down listening to music) so it was really dangerous too. Had to come to a stop a few times.

Anyway, I was expecting a bit of a mess and it was a bit of a mess. With 9,000 people expected to run down one lane of traffic, I don't think you could have expected much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Is anybody seeing a relatively big difference in chip vs. watch time for the 5km (and not 5.4km :-)) time? I'm seeing approx. 30 seconds which is sizeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Didn't do the Run in the Dark myself as I was working late. Would it be a case that maybe Dublin city centre is just not a safe or suitable place to run a night race?

Yea there may be an argument to make on that. They definitely seem to oversubscribe on these city centre events anyway but the major problem for me with them is people starting in the complete wrong section and choking the life out of any momentum you try to build up. Anyway I didn't participate last night so don't mean to hijack the thread and take away from what I'm sure is a well intended good cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

You guys have to remember this was for a very worthy cause - Mark Pollock's Trust. Both raising funds AND awareness. It's a fun run in my eyes. I wasn't racing last night personally but I wouldn't advise anyone to use this as a race to PB in. It's only fair to classify this is a fun run.

Pretty sure I slowed down thinking i had gone passed the finish line before realising I hadn't passed the proper one. D'oh! My chip time is slower than my watch too. It was tough trying to navigate through the 5k walkers to the finish line (I was a 10ker!)

The Samsung one was very similar in problems/route/time etc but theirs was purely a money racket. (the long sleeved tech top is fab though I use it all the time so I've gotten the value out of that reg fee by now I think:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

I agree with many of the posters above. This was my first run in the dark race. I got to the start area about 7.40, wanted to p but decided to wait, goddamit it was around 8.25 before the race started!
    I was doing the 10k and soon realised that alot of people paid little attention to the instruction for 10k runners near the start and 5k to the rear. There were people walking in pairs as I crossed the start.
    So it was bedlam trying to work my way past people who were clearly slow and just jogging/walking. Also alot of people with headphones taking no notice of what was going on around them. very frustrating.
    Getting to the Point Depot area I saw a few people crossing over the plastic tape/cones to the other side of the road so they gained probably a half km and joking that they cheated the system. After the 10k parted with the 5k it became a lot less conjested and was able to race the rest of the way to the finish. The ques for the baggage pickup were huge also. I know this race was for charity and was considered to be a fun race also but I doubt i'll do it again.

I did the 10 k last night...the ping issue got to me too..arrived 730 decided to force a p at 740 .. by time race started at 830 I kinda wanted to go again as cold had gone through me..ran about 8k looking out for a portaloo...none in sight..:(

To be fair it wasnt a 'race' .. simply a 'fun run' ..enjoyable enough and will do it again..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You guys have to remember this was for a very worthy cause - Mark Pollock's Trust. Both raising funds AND awareness. It's a fun run in my eyes. I wasn't racing last night personally but I wouldn't advise anyone to use this as a race to PB in. It's only fair to classify this is a fun run.

Pretty sure I slowed down thinking i had gone passed the finish line before realising I hadn't passed the proper one. D'oh! My chip time is slower than my watch too. It was tough trying to navigate through the 5k walkers to the finish line (I was a 10ker!)

The Samsung one was very similar in problems/route/time etc but theirs was purely a money racket. (the long sleeved tech top is fab though I use it all the time so I've gotten the value out of that reg fee by now I think:D

Yes it was a fun run but safety comes first and this didn't happen last night

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

there are safety issues every year. farce of an event, ran it 3 years ago and vowed never again, saw up to 5 people on the deck with injuries a few hundred meters from the start line. just because something is for charity doesn't give some automatic entitlement for it to be an absolute pile of shįte event no questions asked. also, be in doubt some people are making a packet out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

If they continue to run this with 9000+ entrants they need coralls at the start with estimated finish times, and at least 2 or 3 staggered waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Alicano

Haven't posted in A&R forum in ages. So nice to be back!
    I ran the 5K. Was in early and positioned myself about 10-15mts back from the front. This meant no issue from the get go. I have to say I wasn't so keen on the turn left at the point depot with bollards etc. Marshall's were clearly warning of them and I had no issue as there was light traffic. But I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be taking that turn amongst the main pack!
    Delayed start was a tad annoying. As naturally, we time our pee and any warm up to coincide!. I started to get a bit bored and cold.
    In fairness I was finished early on the 5K so had no queue at all for goodie bag etc.
    Would I run it again? Probably not. Far better 5k's available. Although for me, it was quite a novelty to be in the city running.
    But thanks to marshall's for standing around in windy cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

I think the problem with this event is that it's trying to do too much within the limitations imposed by Dublin city centre - both 5k and 10k distances and trying to attract runners and walkers of all abilities.

The failure to ensure proper separation of lanes near the start was appalling - the leaders in the 5K heading for the finish were faced with crowds of joggers and walkers spread the whole width of the road.

The fact that it's for charity doesn't excuse sloppy organisation. Darkness Into Light manages to get it right. Maybe just having a 5K and not bothering with chiptimes helps. At the other end of the size scale, Marathon des Escargots is a well-organised event that gets the basic things right (for 3 distances!) and also has the nice trimmings like good tops and medals, all at a very reasonable entry fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

This was my first run in the Dark and I probably will do it again.
    I did the 10km and I'm fierce slow (74:34 last night) but even I found it hard with some of the joggers/walkers stopping dead in front of me and having to do some rather uncoordinated leaps about the place.I did find the turn at the point quite tight aswell.I was back further than the barriers on the thinking I was giving enough room but judging by the thousands of people overtaking me that might not have been enough.

Once the split happened I was a lot more comfortable and found my pace steadied.I'd no que for the goodie bag or bag drop but considering how far behind everyone I was I'm not suprised

I did enjoy it though and found the breeze quite refreshing after a few km.Not so much when I was waiting for almost an hour outside the customs house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Did my first run in the dark this week. Won't enter this again. Those low granite bollards were very dangerous and the marhalls gave no warning. There were steps out of nowhere again without warning. The delayed start was a bit annoying considering i was there and getting very cold for at least 35minutes before the start.

All the above and i didn't even mention the walkers who were way out in front of me. I can't really blame them as the marshalls gave no assistance to people to try and get them positioned correctly.

Oh and then collecting the bag from the bag drop..... solid disaster. Actaully got dangerous for a while given the narrow space that people were being crammed into.

Good cause. Poor organisation in general which, as other have said, put saftey at risk in some circumstances.

Advertisement