Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I cook with stewing beef? (Not Irish stew!)

Options
  • 29-06-2015 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

So payday has not quite arrived and I have stewing beef in the freezer to be used but I cannot face anymore Irish stew (I may have overdone it!). Any ideas on what else I could do with it? I did do a search but it seems to be picking up beef stew all the time!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Massaman curry, chilli con carne (should always be made with stewing beef instead of mince), substitute it for lamb in any Indianan style curry dish... Tomatoey Italian style slow cooked beef like a version of bolignaise served with polenta, rice or pasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

English stew if you want to pretend to be a filthy sasanach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

As above thee are many currys that use stewing beef and these can be cheap and as simple or complicated as you wish. maybe beef stroganoff might please also.

if you're searching for recipes search using round steak or chuck steak or gulasch as your key word rather than stew beef, this may turn up better reaults.

also, i stand to be corrected though, but i believe this cut is best cooked slow and it liquid of some sort as otherwise it can come out quite tough. for example in my studentdays i tried it in a stir fry i think it was and i was like a cow chewing cud trying to eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I think you are right and I do have a slow cooker, just need to figure out what to put in with it :) Those all sound good tho so research needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Old Perry wrote: »
    maybe beef stroganoff might please also.

The beef in stroganoff is flash fried and removed from the pan, then the sauce is made in a matter of minutes, the beef added back and served.

Stewing beef is not suitable for this type of cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

There are any amount of curry dishes from fragrant to very spicy, just pick one and if you have a slow cooker, you are laughing. It will be even better the next day.
    Traditional Irish stew is lamb based, not beef.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hungarian goulash is a lovely slow cooked beef dish.

Ilb shin beef or stewing steak
    1 red pepper,sliced
    1 yellow pepper, sliced
    1 large onion, sliced
    2 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 tablespoon of tomato puree
    1 teaspoon of paprika
    Half a teaspoon of smoked paprika
    Chili powder to taste (I use half a teaspoon)
    Flour
    Half a beef stock cube
    200ml/half a pint of hot water
    Olive oil for frying
    Salt and black pepper

Put flour into a freezer bag and add the meat to coat it.
    Heat oil in a large pan and brown the meat.
    Move to the slow cooker.
    Add veg to the pan and fry until it starts to soften.
    Add garlic and paprika and fry gently for a minute.
    Add tomatoes, puree and stock.
    Stir well then add to the meat in the slow cooker.
    Season with salt and black pepper.
    Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

galljga1 wrote: »
    Traditional Irish stew is lamb based, not beef.

This x 100.
    I've even seen restaurants serving up brown beef stew as Irish stew. I mean, a thickened, browned beef stew isn't even similar to an Irish stew.

OP, a basic beef stew but with plenty of tomatoes (tinned), garlic, red wine and lots of fresh herbs is lovely.

This x 100.
    I've even seen restaurants serving up brown beef stew as Irish stew. I mean, a thickened, browned beef stew isn't even similar to an Irish stew.

OP, a basic beef stew but with plenty of tomatoes (tinned), garlic, red wine and lots of fresh herbs is lovely.

It may not be traditional Irish but it's what my mother served me :)

I think I have everything in the recipe above so I'll try that! Many thanks everyone, I've got a host of recipes suggestions to try over the next while. It's funny I've never even thought of trying anything else with stewing beef. Husband will be delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

It may not be traditional Irish but it's what my mother served me :)

I think I have everything in the recipe above so I'll try that! Many thanks everyone, I've got a host of recipes suggestions to try over the next while. It's funny I've never even thought of trying anything else with stewing beef. Husband will be delighted!

the issue with stewing beef is it takes at least 3 hours slow cooking in an oven to make the meat edible.
    Make a casserole and serving with mash is the best use of stewing beef, just decide if you wish to use stock or wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Made a beef rendang roughly following a John Torode recipe last week and it was delicious, even better the second day. Have a quick google, its easy found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

This x 100.

Irish stew was a peasant dish and made use of what was available. It was rarely beef but not unheard of. Sheep were actually a more recent import than cattle here if you go back far enough. Many of these hard and fast rules are more recent than the actual dishes.

As for the OP, carrot and onion over a low heat, brown the beef on another pan, add to carrot and onion, couple of spoons of flour, cook flour, deglaze pan with lots of red wine and add with beef stock. Leave on low heat for a couple of hours or more. Add diced potatoes and serve when they're cooked. Pretty simple and very tasty. Serve by itself or with mash, peas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I've no idea what you call this but here's what I do. It's definitely not Irish stew.

1. Marinate in small amount of red wine and olive oil in fridge over night.
    2. Fry some onions and shallots.
    3. Fry beef lightly to seal. Don't over do it as it becomes very tough.
    4. Combine beef and onions
    5. Add a lot more wine - simmer.
    6. Add chopped parsley, thyme and several bay leaves and season with a bit of salt and pepper. - lots of herbs.
    7. Add celery, carrots, mushrooms (lots of carrots) and optionally other veg (to taste)
    8. Either stew on hob or put in oven (in a covered ovenproof pot (Cook at about 150C) until veg is tender or, as long as possible. Longer the better - just don't cook too hot.

Serve with a lot more fresh chopped parsley and «les spuds»

il gatto wrote: »
    Irish stew was a peasant dish and made use of what was available. It was rarely beef but not unheard of. Sheep were actually a more recent import than cattle here if you go back far enough. Many of these hard and fast rules are more recent than the actual dishes.

Could well be true but probably wasn't termed "Irish Stew" at that stage of its development.
    And all that doesn't make a thickened, browned beef casserole/stew an Irish stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The beef in stroganoff is flash fried and removed from the pan, then the sauce is made in a matter of minutes, the beef added back and served.

Stewing beef is not suitable for this type of cooking.

Good point. You can't make a classic beef stroganoff with stewing beef. You can make a slow-cooked beef casserole with onion, garlic and mushrooms, fresh thyme and bay, a pinch of cumin and a cup of beef stock. Remove and reduce the liquor down at the end, add some beurre manié, cook to thicken and add sour cream then heat before serving.

Could well be true but probably wasn't termed "Irish Stew" at that stage of its development.
    And all that doesn't make a thickened, browned beef casserole/stew an Irish stew.

I don't disagree with that. Just that the use of beef would've been common enough before things were set in stone.

I don't disagree with that. Just that the use of beef would've been common enough before things were set in stone.

Goat too.

You could try Flemmish Carbonades

Involves soaking the beef in strong beer overnight to tenderise it.

Actually works exceptionally well on tougher cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

SpaceTime wrote: »
    You could try Flemmish Carbonades

Involves soaking the beef in strong beer overnight to tenderise it.

Actually works exceptionally well on tougher cuts.

does this reduce cooking time much?

• Advertisement

Goat too.

Indeed. It's reckoned the carribean dish goat water may have it's roots in Irish stew. I'm glad that died out here. Not a fan of goat.

Old Perry wrote: »
    does this reduce cooking time much?

Think so.
    Google it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

So payday has not quite arrived and I have stewing beef in the freezer to be used but I cannot face anymore Irish stew (I may have overdone it!). Any ideas on what else I could do with it? I did do a search but it seems to be picking up beef stew all the time!

Definitely not Irish stew! That's made with lamb or mutton..

OP here, I didn't mean to start a debate on what is/isn't Irish stew. As posted earlier I was just referencing what my mum called Irish stew. Thanks to everyone who gave recipes

QuinDixie wrote: »
    the issue with stewing beef is it takes at least 3 hours slow cooking in an oven to make the meat edible.

Worth the time. I stick the stuff in the slow cooker and leave it overnight. At least twelve hours. I made a gorgeous beef, Guinness and mushroom stew the other day; cooked it for about 15 hours. I was licking the plate.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Good point. You can't make a classic beef stroganoff with stewing beef. You can make a slow-cooked beef casserole with onion, garlic and mushrooms, fresh thyme and bay, a pinch of cumin and a cup of beef stock. Remove and reduce the liquor down at the end, add some beurre manié, cook to thicken and add sour cream then heat before serving.

Delia Smith has a recipe in her classic book for a stroganoff using cheaper steak. You don't flash fry it, it take a bit longer, but it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Steak pie - 4 hours in a pot and then into a pastry lined base in the oven for a half hour. You can add some tiny onions ,worchester sauce salt pepper etc .A gorgeous meal that cost very little !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Indeed. It's reckoned the carribean dish goat water may have it's roots in Irish stew. I'm glad that died out here. Not a fan of goat.

I don't like you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Put it a blender and mince it up and make so lovely slow cooked meat balls in tomato sauce with a few veg and spagetti. Mmmm:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement