Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finish for a 60s/70s record cabinet

• 29-06-2015 9:24am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭

my FIL gave us this yesterday; would like to have a bash at restoring it; anyone know what finish i should use to keep it looking like something of its age?
    there's enough damage to the top that i reckon stripping it back to bare wood is in order, but that means i'll probably end up having to do the lot, as it'd be impossible to match the top to the rest.

353522.jpg

there are some shelves too, but they're veneered on chipboard, and i'm wondering if it was stained to give a consistent colour.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I would use 'ring remover' by Colron. Its available in Woodies and probably elsewhere. Rub with a washing up scourer ( not wire wool ) and wipe off. You could give it a spray of lacquer to spruce it up or just a coat of wax.
    The problem with stripping it, as you say, is that you have to do the whole unit and then restore it. It turns into a much bigger job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers; is that ring restorer designed to work when the finish is completely through? the rings seem to be due to the finish going milky, so possibly heat damage? but a lot of the rest looks like it may be the finish has lifted but not started to peel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

cheers; is that ring restorer designed to work when the finish is completely through? the rings seem to be due to the finish going milky, so possibly heat damage? but a lot of the rest looks like it may be the finish has lifted but not started to peel.

Yes, it is probably a nitrocellulose finish. It turns milky from heat and alcohol. The ring remover will get rid of the rings but you will then have some bare wood exposed. I would just sand very lightly to remove any loose varnish and use a mid- brown wax to refresh it. Trying to tint it with stain will leave it very patchy. You are not doing a complete restoration which would involve stripping it back and staining with dye and a lacquer spray.

Advertisement