Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grangebrook, Rathfarnham

Options
  • 29-06-2015 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

We are looking at a house here but have absolutely no info on the area. Just wondering if anyone has any info or experience of the estate, area and schools in the area.

In addition we have read some things on here about Whitechurch, just up the road, which is making us think twice however this all seems to be from a good few years ago so any insight here would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭MayBea

I have friends living in Grangebrook for the last 7 years. All I can say they are quite happy there, their child attends Rathfarnham Educate Together which is an excellent national school.
    It's a quiet family friendly estate, with plenty of green spaces. Also, St Enda's park is just around the corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 westport2015

Hi TomFun,

We are thinking of buying a house in Grangebrook and we also have the same concerns you had. Did you purchase the house? If so, what is the estate like and the neighboring estate, Whitechurch, like? Also do you know what the bus service is like to get into town?

Thanking you in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TomFun

Hi TomFun,

We are thinking of buying a house in Grangebrook and we also have the same concerns you had. Did you purchase the house? If so, what is the estate like and the neighboring estate, Whitechurch, like? Also do you know what the bus service is like to get into town?

Thanking you in advance..

We bought and moved in in November. We are delighted with the area. There have been no issues so far. Neighbours have told us there was some anti-social behaviour 15+ years ago but all is grand since.
    We have only used the 15 service so far (5-10 min walk) as it is more frequent than the 61. It goes every 10 to 15 mins and takes 30 to 40 mins to Dame St.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Small little bit isolated and you need a car for shops. Footpaths are not brilliant so walking outside the estate is best done in daylight.
    Not a big fan of the houses themselves. Cold, cookie cutter builds with tiny gardens.

Whitechurch next door is not great but there's walls between the two. Just leave over a visit to The Furry Bog unless you feel up to some amateur UFC.

gaius c wrote: »
    Small little bit isolated and you need a car for shops. Footpaths are not brilliant so walking outside the estate is best done in daylight.
    Not a big fan of the houses themselves. Cold, cookie cutter builds with tiny gardens.

Whitechurch next door is not great but there's walls between the two. Just leave over a visit to The Furry Bog unless you feel up to some amateur UFC.

Would only agree with avoiding the furry bog bit of your post. Not sure you should pay too much attention to the rest of that westport.

• Advertisement

TomFun wrote: »
    Would only agree with avoiding the furry bog bit of your post. Not sure you should pay too much attention to the rest of that westport.

Not sure trying to censor views at odds with your own is going to help westport that much.

Not sure trying to censor views at odds with your own is going to help westport that much.

Sorry if that came across as censorship. No censorship here, just placing a value on your views from my point of view. I happen to live there. Do you?

I had concerns which were expressed earlier in the thread and have given westport an honest answer as to how I find the place now that we have bought. As someone who has bought recently I know how important it is to get info from those who live in the area when evaluating it.

Your comments on the estate aren't very accurate or helpful IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

TomFun wrote: »
    Sorry if that came across as censorship. No censorship here, just placing a value on your views from my point of view. I happen to live there. Do you?

I had concerns which were expressed earlier in the thread and have given westport an honest answer as to how I find the place now that we have bought. As someone who has bought recently I know how important it is to get info from those who live in the area when evaluating it.

Your comments on the estate aren't very accurate or helpful IMHO.

Mod note

That's enough folks. Please leave the modding to the mods. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I live nearby and I'd have to agree with all of the above. I'm pretty sure there is no footpaths in certain parts of that road although I have only driven by it so I could be wrong.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned how close to Marley park it is. I would have thought that was one of the main attractions of the estate.

Edit - sorry I was thinking of another estate Grangehill.

Dearg81 wrote: »
    I live nearby and I'd have to agree with all of the above. I'm pretty sure there is no footpaths in certain parts of that road although I have only driven by it so I could be wrong.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned how close to Marley park it is. I would have thought that was one of the main attractions of the estate.

Edit - sorry I was thinking of another estate Grangehill.

There's a good footpath between Grangebrook and Whitechurch estate but outside of that, there's a narrow and need of repair footpark going both directions on Whitechurch Road with very poor quality street lighting. Footpath is only on one side of the road and is frequently blocked by parked cars. The road itself is also narrow and very busy.

See for yourself.

Once you navigate that footpath though, you're at Endas park, which in my opinion is nicer and more compact than Marlay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement