Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lower back issues and bike fit

Options
  • 29-06-2015 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on my situation.

Firstly, i have a lower back issue ( bulging discs / disc degeneration L1L2 and L5 S1) and it has got pretty bad. i can now barely hold 5km without discomfort. At kilkee it was 40km of pain.

I got a bike fit done about 12/18 months ago but fairly sure at this stage, it may be off and is irrelevant now, so i am looking to get another fit done on the TT before i look at maybe ditching the TT altogether.

So i'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation adn gone to a particular bike fit that addressed the issue ? if so, where ?

PS yes i know that the issue itself needs to be looked at and a bike fit wont fix my back - i am going back to physio etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭D33

Have a slight tear in lower L3 / L4 from last yr, got MRI first of all to diagnose.

Was crippled in IM last yr on an adjusted road bike, total disaster despite Retul bike fit before it. This yr, after more medical advice, took the plunge and bought new TT bike, got a fit out with Dom in B2R last week and it's like I've a new back:)

Did Oly tri over west yesterday and had a slight tweak towards 37k / 38k but otherwise I was fine.

Just sacrifice a bit of the aggressiveness in terms of set-up, get a new fit after making sure medically you're fine and it will hopefully respond. Also S & C / pilates really helps, be consistent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

D33 wrote: »
    Have a slight tear in lower L3 / L4 from last yr, got MRI first of all to diagnose.

Was crippled in IM last yr on an adjusted road bike, total disaster despite Retul bike fit before it. This yr, after more medical advice, took the plunge and bought new TT bike, got a fit out with Dom in B2R last week and it's like I've a new back:)

Did Oly tri over west yesterday and had a slight tweak towards 37k / 38k but otherwise I was fine.

Just sacrifice a bit of the aggressiveness in terms of set-up, get a new fit after making sure medically you're fine and it will hopefully respond. Also S & C / pilates really helps, be consistent

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

miller82 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any advice on my situation.

Firstly, i have a lower back issue ( bulging discs / disc degeneration L1L2 and L5 S1) and it has got pretty bad. i can now barely hold 5km without discomfort. At kilkee it was 40km of pain.

I got a bike fit done about 12/18 months ago but fairly sure at this stage, it may be off and is irrelevant now, so i am looking to get another fit done on the TT before i look at maybe ditching the TT altogether.

So i'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation adn gone to a particular bike fit that addressed the issue ? if so, where ?

PS yes i know that the issue itself needs to be looked at and a bike fit wont fix my back - i am going back to physio etc

Retire....

U will never find that 37 secs for a sub 10 with a dodgey back ;)

Retire....

U will never find that 37 secs for a sub 10 with a dodgey back ;)

i have you well and truly rattled !!!
    Lanza 2017.... the final showdown !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If you have disc degeneration and serious lumbar issues I'd question why you're engaged in a sport that puts so much pressure on this area of the body! A new bike fit might help slightly but it sounds like you need a medical consultation not just a bike fit session.

I have a few outlying issues in the same area too btw so I completely sympathise. For me run mechanics is the real culprit though.

• Advertisement

MojoMaker wrote: »
    If you have disc degeneration and serious lumbar issues I'd question why you're engaged in a sport that puts so much pressure on this area of the body! A new bike fit might help slightly but it sounds like you need a medical consultation not just a bike fit session.

I have a few outlying issues in the same area too btw so I completely sympathise. For me run mechanics is the real culprit though.

simply because i love it. if I was strongly recommended/advised to pack it in, i wouldnt be foolish enough to keep on going. But after MRI's etc and consultation, the consultant said that i wouldnt be able to maintain tri for too many more years, but didnt go much further than that. If i cant get comfortable through physio/bike fit etc i would pack it in, but i at least want to try.
    I would like to do Lanza 2017 and then would be happy to pack it in and just do aquathlons to get my fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭miked78

The big thing that you need to address first is what has caused the disk degeneration and bulging. If this is not pinpointed and resolved, your condition will always come against you. It is likely to be some previous injury in the past, not necessarily in your back that has caused a series of compensations resulting in this section of your spine taking a hammering. See a physio that looks past your painful area and can test your core sequencing in a proper manner rather than throwing you a set of generic exercises.
    FWIW I'm a physio and have also had bike fitting done in a variety of different places over the years. I can't recommend the guys out in Bike Fit Studio in Ballyboughal enough. They use the Retul system and its way more accurate than any of the others I've had previously. Have sent a few of my clients out who were having issues on the TT and have had nothing but good reports back from them.
    Good luck with your recovery.

miked78 wrote: »
    The big thing that you need to address first is what has caused the disk degeneration and bulging. If this is not pinpointed and resolved, your condition will always come against you. It is likely to be some previous injury in the past, not necessarily in your back that has caused a series of compensations resulting in this section of your spine taking a hammering. See a physio that looks past your painful area and can test your core sequencing in a proper manner rather than throwing you a set of generic exercises.
    FWIW I'm a physio and have also had bike fitting done in a variety of different places over the years. I can't recommend the guys out in Bike Fit Studio in Ballyboughal enough. They use the Retul system and its way more accurate than any of the others I've had previously. Have sent a few of my clients out who were having issues on the TT and have had nothing but good reports back from them.
    Good luck with your recovery.

Thanks for all this, much appreciated.

Advertisement