Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashes 2015

• 29-06-2015 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Not long until the first match of the Ashes gets under way, Monday week in Cardiff.

The Ashes in 2005 was the tournament that properly got me hooked on Cricket, I'd always a passing interest, but I travelled to Australia that year and got caught up in it.

I loved that Aus team, Ponting, Gilchrist, Lee, McGrath but really wanted England to win it - I always do support England in the Test format.

Hopefully this summer is even a fraction as exciting as that one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

On paper both teams are very evenly balanced I think, but I feel the Aussies will win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If Australia's bowling line up perform well for their own standards, Australia will win it comfortably.

I think Cooks conservatism will turn any potential victories into draws and if they cannot deal with the bowling they will not have the style of counter attack that the likes of NZ possess.

I think an Aussie win and Cook standing down as captain will be good for England in the long run. I think there is a bad culture floating around the test team.

I usually cheer for England in the Ashes but this time I am in the Australian camp. I cannot stand Cook and the fact that his mate "Straussy" got the top job. Jimmy Anderson's constant brattyness with umpires has also turned me against him.

And finally, the way Kevin Pietersen has been treated has been appauling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I think KP brought some of it on himself, but that's a can of worms and probably not suited to this thread really.

There's been rumours that Cook will go after the Ashes irrespective of the result too, so an England win and Cook going is probably better than a Aus win, from that POV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

A good start in Wales for England and this could be a close exciting Ashes. But seeing confidence in the English test side is so brittle, an Aussies win and I think it's all downhill from there, to a convincing series win for the tourists, if not a whitewash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭markbrop

Yes I see the Aussies winning this comfortably. Any combination of Starc, Hazelwood, Johnson and Harris will be too strong for the English batting. Lyon will probably take a lot of wickets aswell. The only real weaknesses for Australia are Brad Haddin who has been hopelessly out of form in test cricket and Shane Watson who continues to underachieve at this level.

As for England Ballance is a walking wicket at number three , Moeen Ali is not a test spinner, Bell's record when Pietersen doesn't play isn't very good at all and Cook is a poor captain.
    And Richard is spot on about Pietersen's treatment - its nothing short of diabolical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jonny_Darcy

On paper Australia are streets ahead. England need a good start and momentum could lead to an upset. The NZ tour did English cricket the world of good after a disappointing series in the Windies - Wood, Stokes and even Rashid could play a bit part this summer. Cook got some form back, although Bells form is a serious concern.

That said England to win !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jonny_Darcy

Ryan Harris forced to retire through injury. Sad news . That first ball in the WACA to dismiss Cook was a thing of beauty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

I concur with most on here in expecting a comfortable Australia series win - beginning with the first test in Cardiff, starting tomorrow. England did well against NZ but the Aussie quicks - Mitchell Johnson in particular, of course - will pose an altogether tougher examination. I don't think the English batsmen (besides Cook and Root) will be able to stand up to the barrage and I can see England being dismissed for some pretty low scores, with the usual few collapses thrown in as well. I think England have flattered to deceive in the past year but am fairly confident that they will be shown up as mediocre by the best team in the world.

As for the first test, I strongly fancy Australia. The pitch should be fairly good for batting but suited to speed bowlers (there's talk of Australia playing no spinner) - advantage Oz. The weather is set fair (some showers tomorrow morning and Sunday, dry besides) and I reckon Australia are a great bet at around Evens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

only two things that can stop a whitewash imo, Lords or the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I went over for the last Ashes series and what happened, and the scapegoating of our only player who turned up and looked a cricketer, has really soured me on the England side. Even the New Zealand series didn't"5 turn home back round.

But, this last few days my heart has started to flutter whenever ai've seen an Ashes promo. I decided to work from home today and am now watching the coverage. It is such a special series, England vs Australia.

Ryan Harris is a huge blow for the Aussies. I know Johnson got the headlines but Harris was their best bowler last winter.

Will TMS be restricted online once play starts I wonder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Full TMS broadcast on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxB5vQb2nAc

Amazing, thanks
    Started on Jul 8, 2015
    This is a BBC Test Match Special Audio stream ONLY of the England v Australia 1st Investec Ashes Test Series, Day One, from the SWALEC Stadium, Cardiff. Not available to listeners in the UK, Sri Lanka, India, Australia, New Zealand, Pakistan and Bangladesh.
    This stream is delivered and managed by the BBC.

Which must mean it's available everywhere else.

That's brilliant.

sigh.

7/1 2 ov

England 16-1 after 5 overs. Tough batting conditions for England to begin with. They need to try and get through the first couple of hours and start making runs when conditions improve, in the afternoon. They certainly need to still be batting at stumps today or they are in big trouble.

Cook gonzo

and Bell

And almost Roooooooot

Haddin dropping Root on nought (easy catch) could be vital in this test. Root now on 111 and looking imperious. England 224-4, which is about par, I would have thought. Root and Stokes could add to the score very quickly if they can stay in together for a while.

• Advertisement

England all-out for 430. Decent knock, slightly above what I thought they would score, which was something around 400. Root, Ballance and Moeen got most of the runs with Moeen (in particular) providing a very valuable 77 at the end of the innings.

I think England will find it very hard to bowl out a strong Aussie batting line-up (currently 26-0 at lunch) on this slow, flat pitch. I may have egg on my face by 19.00 this evening but can certainly see them scoring 500+ and would certainly expect them to have a 1st-innings lead.

The pitch will deteriorate in days 4 and 5, so I still reckon we will see a result in this match - despite the draw being the bookies favourite now. England have an advantage with bowling last but if the Aussies can put up a big 1st innings score/lead (which I think they will), they still have a great chance to win this match.

Wonderful cricket so far and I'm delighted to see the new enthusiasm for aggressive batting from England - their paralysing fear of losing seems to be abating! However, I fear they will have a long 2 sessions today (and 3 more tomorrow!) in the field once the shine goes off the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Very evenly balanced so far. The morning session will be all important.. a couple of quick wickets for England and they are right into the tail.. However if The Aussies dont loose wickets before lunch it will solidify their challange somewhat. They still need somone to provide a solid lower middle order knock a la Moeen did for England though. Interesting test match although id prefer a quicker pitch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Fascinating test, it could well go down to the wire. Slight advantage to England just because they have the runs in the bank, however Australia are more than capable of getting a lead. Big session coming up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,808 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Good start by Emgland getting rid of Watson.

HOORAY!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

Great start to day 3 for England and the new ball due in a couple of overs

Lovely morning although Haddin & Big Mitch will be key. If England can take a 70 run first innings lead then they'll be huge favourites with Australia batting last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

A breathless first hour, Haddin gone when he was starting to look dangerous, Johnson now out! Get in!

Wow.... wasn't expecting this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

England knocking off the tailenders easily. What's going on?

Advertisement