Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashes 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Root century.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

looking forward to sky's highlights later. no doubt there will be discussion on some awful batting this series and is 20/20 or 50 overs to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    looking forward to sky's highlights later. no doubt there will be discussion on some awful batting this series and is 20/20 or 50 overs to blame

Does Peter Nevill play the big bash? Pretty sure for him to make it he had to do it in test cricket firstly, doesn't seem to be the type like BJ Watling who will thrive in the shorter formats.

The likes of Rogers, Clarke and Voges have lots of red ball cricket in their careers, all loads of experience in English cricket and Clarke and Rogers have shunned limited overs cricket for the most part in the last few years.

Its not the fault of t20 today's collapse.

**** batting is **** batting.

booth70 wrote: »
    Just switched on and can't believe the scores so far!!!!

Not just India then who can't play the swinging ball

TBH the writing was on the wall for the Aussies once they showed how clueless they were against the swinging ball at Edgbaston

Clarke and a few others have one more innings at prolonging their careers but hard to see Clarke playing the final test if Australia get thumped here

The Aussies have shown no fight whatsoever in the last few tests, to be fair India tailed off towards the end of their tours to England, but at least the likes of Dhoni who doesn't even like this format did try and fight.

They were somewhat hamstrung by not having a good enough bowling attack unlike Australia who supposedly have the best bowling attack in the world.

Clarke has been finished for a while now sadly. He should be at his peak now, but the back has sped up his demise.He is a walking wicket at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Quite liked the BBC scorecard on the BBC news channel there. Giving Australia's top two scores for their innings as Extras 14 and Johnson 13:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Can't believe how this Series has turned around since Lords. I kept thinking someone was going to swing a bat and make 40 odd for Australia, to make their score slightly less awful.

These games are finishing way too early, is there anything to be said for a three innnings a side Test? Although the way things are going, it would probably still finish by Day 3!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Skid X wrote: »
    These games are finishing way too early, is there anything to be said for a three innnings a side Test? Although the way things are going, it would probably still finish by Day 3!

Its a very good point. Test cricket is my favourite of all the formats, but we are seeing way to many one sided matches these days. The last 2 tests have been pretty much decided after day one, heck this was over in 30 minutes. :pac:

Dhoni and to a lesser extent Misbah have been criticised for poor away records as captains, Dhoni was to reliant on his batsmen as his bowlers for the large part have been rubbish.

Clarke? He unlike Dhoni has the bowlers and unlike Misbah he has players who have plenty of experience outside their backyard.

Assuming he loses here, that would make 1 win out 14 in England, and a grand total of zero wins the UAE and India.

Great player before the injuries took over, but his captaincy is incredibly overrated.

Rant over.:p

The Aussies are playing the ball like its a one day game, the art of leaving is being lost. Modern impatience is going to kill test cricket.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,478 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The Aussies are playing the ball like its a one day game, the art of leaving is being lost. Modern impatience is going to kill test cricket.
    Don't think so myself. Arguably Test cricket was on a steady decline but was probably brought back to life in 2005. The Ashes series never seem to fail to entertain nowadays and there have been so many swings in the fortunes of the 2 teams you can often struggle to anticipate the next twist.

One concern I guess is the Aussies seem to be struggling to bring new talent through at present, and maybe they need to send a few more guys over to learn a bit more via county cricket (as opposed to T20s/50 over cricket). The Aussies will be smarting after this series, but I think have a bit of time to re-build ahead of the next series in 2017/8 when I am sure they will be firing on all cylinders again

The Counties that host thee matches must be sweating on the refunds.

• Advertisement

The Counties that host thee matches must be sweating on the refunds.

They get insurance from the ECB if they lose 2 days so they should be ok.

I'd expect England will try and bat most of tomorrow and send them in for a few overs in the evening and try and nip a few out.

Although a few overs probably enough to knock this shower over.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its a very good point. Test cricket is my favourite of all the formats, but we are seeing way to many one sided matches these days. The last 2 tests have been pretty much decided after day one, heck this was over in 30 minutes. :pac:

Dhoni and to a lesser extent Misbah have been criticised for poor away records as captains, Dhoni was to reliant on his batsmen as his bowlers for the large part have been rubbish.

Clarke? He unlike Dhoni has the bowlers and unlike Misbah he has players who have plenty of experience outside their backyard.

Assuming he loses here, that would make 1 win out 14 in England, and a grand total of zero wins the UAE and India.

Great player before the injuries took over, but his captaincy is incredibly overrated.

Rant over.:p
    Beasty wrote: »
    Don't think so myself. Arguably Test cricket was on a steady decline but was probably brought back to life in 2005. The Ashes series never seem to fail to entertain nowadays and there have been so many swings in the fortunes of the 2 teams you can often struggle to anticipate the next twist.

One concern I guess is the Aussies seem to be struggling to bring new talent through at present, and maybe they need to send a few more guys over to learn a bit more via county cricket (as opposed to T20s/50 over cricket). The Aussies will be smarting after this series, but I think have a bit of time to re-build ahead of the next series in 2017/8 when I am sure they will be firing on all cylinders again

Some great points there....

The 2 greatest series of the last 20 years have both featured Australia - Ind v Aus 2001 and the Ashes 2005......Ind v Aus 2001 was the series which re-ignited interest in Test Cricket in India albeit briefly....was probably the last series that was played to packed houses in India before the short stuff took over.....Both those series stand out bcos it was won by 2 teams coming from behind to beat the best team in the world then by a country mile

All teams (bar SA probably in recent years) are now kings at home and crap when they travel abroad

Too many of the current Australian team are on the wrong side of 30..... Voges/Marsh/Clarke in current form probably make the worst middle order Australia have ever had.....

Hard to believe that for a nation with such cricketing pedigree that they don't have serious young talent pushing on the door and equally surprising that they don't seem to be able to adapt to English or Subcontinental conditions and have been found out every time the ball starts to swing or spin....

Starc five-fer, England 306/6, they can probably stick another 50 or 60 on that for a lead of 300ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Starc five-fer, England 306/6, they can probably stick another 50 or 60 on that for a lead of 300ish.

They'll stick on at least another 50/60 you'd think, perhaps more, Aussies then need to post 450+ to make a game of it. England lead of 350 or more and its a foregone conclusion you'd feel.

hmm, falling like flies at the moment though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Inquitus wrote: »
    They'll stick on at least another 50/60 you'd think, perhaps more, Aussies then need to post 450+ to make a game of it. England lead of 350 or more and its a foregone conclusion you'd feel.

Does that seem in any way likely to you?? I wouldn't fancy them to make 250. You can stick a fork in this one - it's done. Can't see England needing to bat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Moeen and Broad smacking it about

Edit: Moeen out next ball

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Does that seem in any way likely to you?? I wouldn't fancy them to make 250. You can stick a fork in this one - it's done. Can't see England needing to bat again.

Never mind 250, it was a struggle getting to 50 first time round.

This is done, done, done.

Decent knock by Moeen

I thought England should have declared as soon as Moeen was out. Let Broad have his 23* and let the bowlers go at Aus full tilt for a few overs before lunch.

• Advertisement

I thought England should have declared as soon as Moeen was out. Let Broad have his 23* and let the bowlers go at Aus full tilt for a few overs before lunch.

:)

Declared now. Don't know what the point of them last couple of overs was

What's the record for shortest test match without rain delays?

How did Warner survive that last over before lunch?? Broad is absolutely on fire!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

How did Warner survive that last over before lunch?? Broad is absolutely on fire!!

Ticking along nicely now the two openers. They're well on the way to passing their entire total from yesterday without losing a wicket today!

Yep, just passed 60. Well done Aus!

Bizzare test match so far!!

60 all out plays 391

Then the team bowled out for 60 are 91/0 batting again!!!!

60 all out plays 391

It will get even more bizarre if Australia get to 300/1 by close tonight!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

60 all out plays 391

They can still post some sort of target here, its meant to be sunny tomorrow with more swing expected Sun and Mon, if they get through to the end of today with only 2/3 down they will be close to level scores with 7/8 wickets in hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

Inquitus wrote: »
    They can still post some sort of target here, its meant to be sunny tomorrow with more swing expected Sun and Mon, if they get through to the end of today with only 2/3 down they will be close to level scores with 7/8 wickets in hand.

Wood with the breakthrough getting Rodgers but it's a no ball!!

Advertisement