Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashes 2015

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

bilston wrote: »
    England's batsmen were pathetic yesterday. Unless there is a turnaround in their attitude then this won't make a 4th day.

Aside from Root and some wagging from Moeen their batting has been pretty soft all series. Excellent bowling in the 3 tests they won masked the fact that their batting line up is on rag order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Every game this year has been so one sided

Eng thrash Aus
    Aus humiliate Eng
    Eng thrash Aus
    Eng humiliate Aus
    Aus thrashing Eng

I guess one swallow never made a summer but you'd wonder if Eng & Aus batsmen are losing the skill and patience to bat in adversity against a big total.

Counter attack seems to be policy in force and when batsmen counter attack all the time, the balance of power inevitably shifts to the fielding side.

Is it the effects of limited overs cricket or just the present mindset?

I suppose Clarke has made Eng follow-on with one eye on the weather. They have today and some of tomorrow to get the ten wickets before the rain enforces a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

BarryD wrote: »

Is it the effects of limited overs cricket or just the present mindset?

Bit of everything. Very few batsmen would you say are better limited overs batsmen than test batsmen. The likes of Cook, Lyth, Ballance, Rogers, Clarke, Voges, Nevill and Bell have made their money playing test cricket in the last few years.

Bairstow ? Played a lot of 4 day cricket in the last few years, can't blame limited overs cricket.

Buttler and Mitchell Marsh have looked out of their depth batting and yeah both of them could have done with having more 4 day experience at times this series.

Root however has played all white ball for cricket for England and he has been superb, heck the ability to keep the runs ticking a skill which is crucial in white ball cricket has really hurt Australia when he batted.

Warner is Warner, a player like that can only bat one way.

Who are we left with then?

Smith?

Has bombed a few times, but another who played a lot of shield cricket before he was brought back for Australia and to be fair has done well in every test tour before this.

Shaun Marsh I suppose you could point a finger at, he strikes me a lazy so and so, made his money in the IPL and has been to lazy in his test career.

Only two wickets left to take - wonder if there'll be enough breaks in the rain for Aussies to finish this off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

And so a very strange series comes to an end. Both teams showed far too much tendency to self destruct.

If this report is correct, BT Sport have won the rights to broadcast Australia's home matches (including the 2017/18 Ashes). That's a big blow to Sky subscribers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-3208147/BT-Sport-grab-2017-18-Ashes-TV-rights-rivals-Sky-Sports-80m-coup.html
    England’s cricketers were not the only ones celebrating an Ashes win on Sunday night — so were BT Sport, who have seized the rights to the 2017-18 series Down Under from arch-rivals Sky in a major coup.
    In a move that demonstrates BT will challenge Sky strongly on the cricket field as well as on the football pitch, the network have secured the UK contract for Aussie home matches from Cricket Australia for the next five years.
    It is believed to be costing them around £16million a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Cricket just loves ******* the fans at every chance it gets doesnt it?

I think it's called churning the market :)

DP

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2015/content/story/913013.html#all

Dire comments by Clarke moaning about the pitches, Australia need to learn how to bat outside their comfort zone. Its called home advantage. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BT getting involved is wonderful for sports moneymen, play them and sky off against each other and swim in the money.

Crap for fans though.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I don't have any pay TV so I couldn't give a flyer who gets the coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

Somethings gotta give at some point. Least before you paid one expensive sub for all the cricket you could ever want, now you need two unless you want to put up with streams.

And I'm having nightmares of Michael Owen commentating test cricket...........

Owen will be amazing.

"Mitchell Johnson has bowled a ball, it was a bad ball. Joe Root the batsman has hit it for 4 runs which he is happy with " etc

Imagine that at 4am along with Vaughan and Swann doing their banter act:(:D

Also

Top work by Kimber on Cook.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2015/content/story/913001.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Definitely a series to have had tickets for - but only the first three days, even first two!

Strange Ashes all round really, every victory/defeat was emphatic so its fair to say neither is terribly good or bad but definitely lacking stickablilty in any depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,805 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Rjd2 wrote: »

Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Morgan and Ali going nuts in the T20

Go Smith! :)

I didn't even know this was on today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rjd2 wrote: »

I'm a big fan of Kimber, but I found that a struggle to read through. It was just the same point over and over in short bursts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Morgan in great form at the moment, but what is the real talking point is Stokes given out for obstructing the field

and the law
    Law 37 (obstructing the field) states: "Either batsman is out Obstructing the field if he wilfully attempts to obstruct or distract the fielding side by word or action. In particular, but not solely, it shall be regarded as obstruction and either batsman will be out Obstructing the field if while the ball is in play and after the striker has completed the act of playing the ball, as defined in Law 33.1, he wilfully strikes the ball with (i) a hand not holding the bat, unless this is in order to avoid injury. See also Law 33.2 (Not out Handled the ball). (ii) any other part of his person or with his bat. See also Law 34 (Hit the ball twice). "

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Can't quite believe the reaction to this. he basically stuck out his hand and stopped himself being run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It seemed like a harsh decision when you look at it in real time. I don't think Stokes could really have been thinking about protecting his stumps in the split second he had to react.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its the extension of the arm away from the body that does for him tbh, and he can have no complaints really. Shocking of course that skys expert panel disagreed with the decision, ahem. When you see it in real time it happens so fast you can feel for him, but moving his hand away from himself, toward the ball to block it is a justifiable wicket in my eyes.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Can't quite believe the reaction to this. he basically stuck out his hand and stopped himself being run out.

Flip he must have some reactions if that was his intention

I see England are struggling a bit at 247/4 at 43 overs - seemed to start brightly but runs hard to come by at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Convincing win for the Aussies today to win the one day series,they looked on top all match. Fair play to them after a very long time on the road. Morgan is OK now apparently after getting hit on the head.

Advertisement