Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashes 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Finely balanced still imo, England need to get to about 350 ahead, but leave enough time to bowl Australia out and get the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,805 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Finely balanced still imo, England need to get to about 350 ahead, but leave enough time to bowl Australia out and get the win.

England are heavy favourites now. The only thing is that there is still half a test match left so as you say England will want a lead of well in excess of 300. If Australia bowl England out for less than 200 then they are still in with a shout. Scoring 300 batting last isn't easy though and rarely happens.

bilston wrote: »
    England are heavy favourites now.

22/2

22/2

Are you saying they aren't strong favourites?

Even at 22/2 they were 144 ahead.

Now 63/2 and 185 ahead on a deteriorating wicket.

Barring a batting collapse this is England's to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah England must be massive favourites. Of course England can collapse at any time but if Australia can get 300+ batting fourth then they deserve to win.

• Advertisement

Great catch from Clarke and a big wicket for Australia.

73/3

England 195 ahead though.

Barring a batting collapse this is England's to lose.

This is my point. :)

I don't think time is an issue. England are already 250 ahead with almost two and a half days left. If they're still batting at lunch tomorrow Australia will be looking at needing 450 in five sessions. Even with the dodgy forecast on Sunday that should be enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I still think they need to post a target of 400+ here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Inquitus wrote: »
    I still think they need to post a target of 400+ here.

I'd agree. There's way too much time left in the game but you'd hope England can manage 400+ from here. I reckon Clarke or Smith will go big second dig.

• Advertisement

Game on

It would still be some chase

Some good batting from Wood here. Past the psychological 400 barrier as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Some good batting from Wood here. Past the psychological 400 barrier as well.

Aye will be a world record run chase shortly.

So Australia need 412 to win. If they get it they will deserve it.

Draw is 30/1. Weather on Sunday looks dicey and there's no team in the World more keen to throw away a win in these circumstances. I've stuck 20 on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Strange that today BBC has right restrictions on radio coverage via internet! Last 2 days were fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

snaps wrote: »
    Strange that today BBC has right restrictions on radio coverage via internet! Last 2 days were fine

Try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khy7FCSehEY

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Draw is 30/1. Weather on Sunday looks dicey and there's no team in the World more keen to throw away a win in these circumstances. I've stuck 20 on that.

Definitely would have stuck money on this if I'd seen it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Huge wicket to get just before lunch. That is mahoosive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

England will have this wrapped up by stumps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

A bit of pocket talk here but I have been disappointed with Australia's effort at the run-chase - a lot of wickets gone cheaply to inadvisable shots. They had 2 full days and could afford to play conservatively. Still, good bowling (and captaincy) by England, in particular Broad, who loves to take on the Aussies. He'll deserve his glass of champagne tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Haddin has not got runs since the last ashes and his glovework is ****e, his drop of Root was critical in the first innings. I'd bring in Nevill.

It also would be great to see Haddin arguably one of the most odious cricketers binned for good.

What on earth Watson is playing for bar comedy reasons instead of Marsh is baffling.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Haddin has not got runs since the last ashes and his glovework is ****e, his drop of Root was critical in the first innings. I'd bring in Nevill.

It also would be great to see Haddin arguably one of the most odious cricketers binned for good.

What on earth Watson is playing for bar comedy reasons instead of Marsh is baffling.

Yeah, agree with all of that. Dropping Root on nought (a simple catch as well) was a disaster - 134 less runs to chase would have been much easier for Australia! He missed another easy catch (can't remember the batsman) by not jumping to catch a bouncer that caught an edge. Definitely not worth his place at the moment.

Fair play to Mitchell Johnson - 70 n/o at the moment. He has worked his arse off with both bat and ball. What price was he to be top Aussie run-scorer in the 2nd innings?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

All over. England win by 169 runs.

Good result for the series, England played better and deserved the win.

All over - Australia all-out for 242, England win by 169 runs. Root takes 2 late wickets and the final catch, what a bloody glory-hunter!:pac:

byronbay2 wrote: »
    All over - Australia all-out for 242, England win by 169 runs. Root takes 2 late wickets and the final catch, what a bloody glory-hunter!:pac:

Handy player that Root lad.

Actually. I was thinking earlier him and Smith could have quite a rivalry over the next few years both as batsmen and I suspect as opposing captains.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Really was not expecting such a big win for England, could be a very good series now if the Aussies perk up a bit

• Advertisement

Australia have to win at Lords. If they don't then I think they are toast. They have a good record there (as most visiting teams do), however if they lose or even draw then it could become a very long six weeks for this ageing side.

In saying that they will surely bring Mitchell Marsh in and maybe even Nevill and I think Marsh will strengthen them. Don't know that much about Nevill but can he be worse than Haddin?

Will Starc be fit?

Advertisement