Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it dodgy to pay a deposit in cash without a contract/lease?

Options
  • 29-06-2015 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Summary: moving into a shared flat in Galway, just met the owners yesterday, seem like nice people, they want a deposit but there's no contract/lease.

I know I'm probably being paranoid, but what's to stop them from scamming or doing me, when there's no paper trail?

Is there some proof or guarantee I should ask from them in writing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Get something written down even if its just a receipt saying deposit paid, the amount then get them to sign and date it. Its not much but at least then you can prove you have paid them. Its not that much to ask I don't see why anyone would refuse to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are you moving in with the owners? If so it would be almost standard not to have a lease as you would be a licensee

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why not pay with a bank draft, rather than cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Use bank draft or online transfer.

Its par for the course in shared accommodation not to have any contract or lease. Rooms rented separately with one months notice required to move out, generally a turn over of people over time etc so it suits both tenants and LL's to keep it simple.

In these situations the deposit is often sorted out by giving it to the person vacating the room and then in turn if you move out you get it from the person taking your place but obviously the LL is dealing with it in your situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

athtrasna wrote: »
    Are you moving in with the owners? If so it would be almost standard not to have a lease as you would be a licensee

Not the owners, as far as I know. The owner is a landlord who lives elsewhere. So I guess I should ask for a rentbook at least?

Apparently the guy prefers cash (which spurred me to write this post...), though I could insist on a bank draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Its par for the course in shared accommodation not to have any contract or lease. Rooms rented separately with one months notice required to move out, generally a turn over of people over time etc so it suits both tenants and LL's to keep it simple.

In these situations the deposit is often sorted out by giving it to the person vacating the room and then in turn if you move out you get it from the person taking your place but obviously the LL is dealing with it in your situation.

Cheers, that makes sense. I don't know the involvement of the LL, all I know is we are supposed to give the money to one of the guys who then pays the LL.

I just want to ensure there's some documentation and everything is above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I wouldn't accept a bank draft. Cash or electronic funds transfer

ted1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't accept a bank draft. Cash or electronic funds transfer

Why? It's effectively a bank-guaranteed cheque, made out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why? It's effectively a bank-guaranteed cheque, made out to you.

Because it's a lot of hassle and are often involved used in fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

are you sure that the "owners" you talked to are actually the owners? It wouldnt be the first time that somebody who wasnt the owner took a deposit in cash and did a runner.

ted1 wrote: »
    Because it's a lot of hassle and are often involved used in fraud.

Eh? I've never heard that before.

To get a bank draft, you need to give the bank cleared money, ie it cannot be from a cheque or transaction that has not yet fully cleared. I cannot see how that can be linked to fraud.

And hassle? You just have to deposit it - worse case, you post it to your branch with a deposit slip.

Electronic transfer may seem safe, but they can be reversed if the bank later find that the funds used to do the transfer weren't cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭mid

Eh? I've never heard that before.

To get a bank draft, you need to give the bank cleared money, ie it cannot be from a cheque or transaction that has not yet fully cleared. I cannot see how that can be linked to fraud.

And hassle? You just have to deposit it - worse case, you post it to your branch with a deposit slip.

Electronic transfer may seem safe, but they can be reversed if the bank later find that the funds used to do the transfer weren't cleared.

I think they mean a fake bankdraft, sometimes these can even be accepted by your bank (eg fake BOI bankdraft lodged to your AIB account) but once AIB realise its fake the amount will then be removed from your account.

Though I think this is unlikely with rental deposits (long term accommodation) as within a week you should know that it was fake and you could report the tenant to the gardai for fraud.

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/garda-warning-criminals-buying-and-selling-cars-privately-in-car-parks-with-fake-bank-drafts-30365141.html

Advertisement