Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There goes the minority sports

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Never realised Discovery owned Eurosport. Eurosports coverage of what they currently have is pretty good in fairness, they have a good track record and won't be sucked into showing the same stuff over and over, or missing half the events because they're having a chin wag in the student.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Pan-Europe too; BBC's red button coverage was fantastic in 2012:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Never realised Discovery owned Eurosport. Eurosports coverage of what they currently have is pretty good in fairness, they have a good track record and won't be sucked into showing the same stuff over and over, or missing half the events because they're having a chin wag in the student.

point is though most households don't have Eurosport and few I suspect would get it for the olympics.

(Okay I have it but thats for the cycling)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I thought it came with most basic packages? Haven't been with UPC in years for TV but when I last was we got it at no additional cost, is that no longer the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I thought it came with most basic packages? Haven't been with UPC in years for TV but when I last was we got it at no additional cost, is that no longer the case?

yup, its on higher end UPC ones or with sky sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

What proportion of households have a subscription though? Genuine question, have no idea. I've gone freeview myself and have taken up a eurosport player subscription to watch the cycling classics. I would say it is likely that RTE will strive to buy the majority of it for free to air. The BBC coverage last time with the 20 odd channels in parallel was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I'm glad I have eurosport for this. I know a lot of people that owuldnt have it though. Think the OH might try and hide the remote though. After the Giro and TdF theres a bit too much cycling in the house. Been enjoying the coverage of WTU on BBC lately in the comfort of a visit to the folks house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

tunney wrote: »

It would appear they are building an Olympic channel and that national tv will be offered rights .of 200 hours live tv during the games.
    So it would appear what they are trying to do is to have more oly games showings between the games which might not necessarily bad for minority sport .
    Of course likely the sponsors of the IOC will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

bte you can watch im frankfurt live this sunday for 6 hours on tv

and last 90 min live at the biggest ty staion in germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

As our national broadcaster and recipient of license fees there is no excuse for not rebroadcasting (under license) all the non-free to air coverage. Wait til the public outrage at having to get a Eurosport sub to see Katie Taylor in the gold medal fight.

Bet Joe is busy rubbing his hands together..... ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement