Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cathedral Bar & Grill - Maynooth

Options
  • 29-06-2015 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Anyone been to the new Cathedral Bar & Grill in Maynooth? What's it like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its still Mantra, just warmed over a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Was in there last night for one. Very underwhelming. Pints were ok. Staff were ok. Toilets stank to high heaven. The kicker was when I was coming out of the loo the corridor was lined with lots of food stuffs from the kitchen - sauces, pasta and other things. Right outside the toilets. I won't be eating there that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

The story I repeatedly heard was that "I can't see where they've spent 2 mil!"
    I'm not sure what they expect 2 mil to get you, but I can see a lot of work has gone into the place, and haven't been upstairs yet.
    I actually like the changes in it, more room and better atmosphere IMO. Outside space hasn't changed a whole lot, but better use of it by opening up the booth seating.

We went to try the food despite the reports, but having met someone there who was eating at the time in a party of 4, they weren't impressed in the least! They'd waited 40 min to get their starter, the chips were definitely greasy/soggy looking and one person who was having a steak suspected the steak had been microwaved (most likely not, but that was their feeling on it!!) another good friend suffered an unfortunately bland burger at the weekend also.
    I've seen the various facebook reviews and didn't pay too much heed for various reasons including writing the whole review in text speak, and others bitching about not being admitted with VIP passes, but it's more likely the bouncers just didn't like the look of them!!
    But I'd like the place to succeed so I really hope they pull their socks up in the food department to give yet another option. Maynooth already has so many has so many great options for food and far better priced as well, so it has some way to go yet unfortunately it would seem.

Stone Haven got our business in the end which was a visit to the 80's in décor, and prices were late 90's.

Pint of Lager was €5.30 during the day in Cathedral by the way!

Stone Haven's decor is basically The Orange Tree unchanged as far as I remember - which is from quite a while ago... (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/mixed-bag-at-the-orange-tree-1.257390)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 1800

SQ2 wrote: »
    Pint of Lager was €5.30 during the day in Cathedral by the way!

Was charged the same, utterly scandalous price in this day and age. The sooner Weatherspoons takes over here and knocks some reality into pub pricing the better. Its certainly different to Mantra, but then again different isnt always better. Its early days so I'll give it a chance but already the Bouncers are acting up from accounts I've heard and seen.

The locals and students are its bread and butter so they need them onside. Its not a high end New York nightclub, this is a small college town in Kildare were talking about so all this exclusivity is not needed and pisses people off like Mantra did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

The toilets are the exact same as mantra. They havent been touched at all. Still have the same broken sinks and dodgy taps and asthmatic hand driers. Food is grand but service was slow the day we were there.

Having said that, the chicken wings are the nicest ones I've ever had. Ever. Anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MotorMike

Was in a week ago for food!
    Initially took 10 mins to be noticed and handed menus, Ordered drinks, Another 10 before they arrived.
    I ordered steak which took 40 mins for medium and it still came cold. Paying €26 for a fillet steak in Maynooth and getting 0 sides with it didn't sink well with me. Service poor, Food poor, Overpriced. Could eat in most places in Dublin for similar and not need a torch from your phone to see what you're eating (true story)

Back to the Avenue with me.
    Herself was proved correct on the night, Stick with what you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 1800

MotorMike wrote: »

Thats the thing with food, most people dont eat out regularly these days so when you do venture somewhere you want to know you'll get a decent meal and service especially considering the prices. I dont eat out often but while trying new places is fun I often find myself returning to the same reliable places.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭MickH503

SQ2 wrote: »
    Stone Haven got our business in the end which was a visit to the 80's in décor, and prices were late 90's.
    Haven't been in there in years, is it still good food?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Not great, pricey enough too. Service was good though. The mid week steak on a stone could be good though, I think it's €16-€17. But other than that I wouldn't see a return visit in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Rdwrer

Thanks for the replies. Might give it a miss so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

MickH503 wrote: »
    Haven't been in there in years, is it still good food?

I have to say I've never had a bad meal in Stone Haven. The midweek set menu is very good value and the service is always excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

MotorMike wrote: »
    Was in a week ago for food!
    Initially took 10 mins to be noticed and handed menus, Ordered drinks, Another 10 before they arrived.
    I ordered steak which took 40 mins for medium and it still came cold. Paying €26 for a fillet steak in Maynooth and getting 0 sides with it didn't sink well with me. Service poor, Food poor, Overpriced. Could eat in most places in Dublin for similar and not need a torch from your phone to see what you're eating (true story)

Why did you pay? Why didn't you send the food back if not up to scratch? Starving or not, paying that much for a terrible steak is crazy when you could walk across to O'Neills in seconds or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Is it just a bar and restaurant now and no nightclub? What time does it stay open until on a Saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

IrishAlice wrote: »
    I have to say I've never had a bad meal in Stone Haven. The midweek set menu is very good value and the service is always excellent.

I agree. I really like Stone Haven and find it very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Is it just a bar and restaurant now and no nightclub? What time does it stay open until on a Saturday night?

Didn't end until 3am last Saturday night. In terms of a nightclub, its much better making it one venue, having the stairs in the middle so you can go up an down instead of having two separate clubs like Mantra.

That's probably the only positive, pints were expensive, they pumped 2million into the place and didn't touch the toilets? That was one thing that badly needed doing up, half the dryers don't work, not enough urinals, half the locks on cubicles are broken. Very stupid not to do them up. The upstairs smoking area hasn't been ipen last 2 weeks, downstairs one is pretty much the same except for a new little mini, almost secret bar, not bad if you want a bit of quiet.

Have not been in for food, don't really intend on it. Mad that the pints are that expensive during the day, I can kind of understand it at night, a lot of clubs up the price after a certain time,but during the day? Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks tvnutz, I have a poker night every so often with a few lads over and we have headed to Mantra afterwards before, I was unsure if it still stayed open late on a Saturday night, thanks for the info.

Twenty to 1 on a Thursday and it's closed - it's gone beyond being just mantra to being useless mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Students away in fairness Maynooth is always a ghost town during the summer outside the weekends.

Agree with what most people have said, it's basically just the same as it was. Considering it was closed for three or four months I would have expected a bit more.

If anyone remembers the nightclub in the Setanta in Celbridge, 'The Crooked Steeple', it's almost identical. Gothic churchy theme, big rectangular bar in the middle, lots of wood and big wooden stairs beside the bar.

It's like stepping back in time to 2001, just waiting to hear R. Kelly Ignition for the timewarp to be complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Was in twice for food. The first time was their opening week for lunch. The food took nearly 90 minutes to come out and was bad. Really fatty chicken wings with no side. The second time was for dinner where I ordered their burger and pint special for 12.50. The pint was their own brew and by god it was horrible. Couldn't finish it. The burger was frozen in the middle. Its mantra with crap food. If they play to the student market (i.e cheap drink nights) then they will be grand. Unfortunately, they seem to have done a mantra and think that the place should be "exclusive" and "vip". Its a night club in a small Kildare town, get a hold of yourselves lads for jesus sake. I'd give it till Christmas, maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Could be a sign of reality kicking in, or trying not to fall flat.

Signs outside Cathedral today about an All New menu, €5 starters, €10 for Mains.

They got their marketing completely wrong to begin with.

€10 for a main isn't too bad but after all the reviews I've read I don't think I'd go there for food. It feels like it'd be a wasted treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rachel1122

I was in Cathedral last night, their prices for pints have gone down to €4.70 if im correct for Heiniken and €4.50 for guinness. They brand new staff in the kitchen AND all the starters are €5 and all mains €10. Food was great. At the start it may have been bad im just speaking from my experience!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.ticketstop.ie/view.php?id=537 Wheatus are doing a gig there:)

rachel1122 wrote: »
    I was in Cathedral last night, their prices for pints have gone down to €4.70 if im correct for Heiniken and €4.50 for guinness. They brand new staff in the kitchen AND all the starters are €5 and all mains €10. Food was great. At the start it may have been bad im just speaking from my experience!!

I'm not being smart but the fact that you joined boards specifically to post this really looks like you're connected to the place!

I am up looking for accommodation for college and i joined boards for the housing in maynooth threads. i went in with my mum for dinner after looking at a house. i dont care what you say about the place but my time was enjoyed

How do you know the prices have "gone down" if you've never been there before?

because.....Pint of Lager was €5.30 during the day in Cathedral by the way! <<<< this was said?!?! I dont even know maynooth but if this is what ye are all like i dont think i want to!! Im 18 and its my first time moving out of home!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

rachel1122 wrote: »
    because.....Pint of Lager was €5.30 during the day in Cathedral by the way! <<<< this was said?!?! I dont even know maynooth but if this is what ye are all like i dont think i want to!! Im 18 and its my first time moving out of home!!!

Well, I don't believe you for a plethora of reasons. I know Boards are very strict on shilling, personally it doesn't bother me and it's good to know the prices have come down.

What does bother me is people who lie when challenged.

You registered for the Accomodation at Maynooth thread but didn't bother to go there because you simply couldn't contain your opinion of a pub who according to your story you would never even have heard of before, so that was your only post until you were challenged, 3 and a half hours later you headed to the Accomodation at NUIM thread and posted the completely and utterly vague "I need a place too!".

Right....

• Advertisement

ok i dont care if you think that! i actually applied last night for a waitress job in cathedral so hopefully they will see this and hire me! good luck to you all. and by the by.......i got my viewing for accomodation from boards by seeing a phone number on here ;) peace out

Advertisement