Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cathedral Bar & Grill - Maynooth

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

This is too funny, things must be bad if they're getting someone to post on Boards about the new kitchen staff and cheaper drinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Noticed 2 other things today passing through town ;

The new prices are only til August 31st

There's a new Mexican restaurant opening next door soon (Fridas painted on old shop to right of Cathedral) , so yay another restaurant in Maynooth!! Never can have enough.

Also has anyone ever noticed how clustered all the pubs are? McMahons to The Roost is only about 200m but that's all 5 pubs walked by.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Patser wrote: »
    Also has anyone ever noticed how clustered all the pubs are? McMahons to The Roost is only about 200m but that's all 5 pubs walked by.

Mythology in the town was that they ensured there was a side of the road the seminarians could walk down without pubs on it - suspect that is just that, a myth. O'Neills is a very new (just over a decade) addition. The Roost is also less old than the original three (Bradys, LA/Cathedral and Caulfields/McMahons) so it must have been a case of them just opening very close to the town square.

Maynooth until the 1960s was a very small town hence everything on Main Street; and the first major development of houses outside the town - Rail Park, Greenfield Estate and Carton Court in the early 70s - somehow didn't spawn a pub. Newtown Inn was being discussed in the late 1980s but didn't open until the early 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

rachel1122 wrote:
    I am up looking for accommodation for college and i joined boards for the housing in maynooth threads. i went in with my mum for dinner after looking at a house. i dont care what you say about the place but my time was enjoyed

Did your mum have the pint of Guinness or did you Rachel? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Folks, leave the moderation to the mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

L1011 wrote: »
    Mythology in the town was that they ensured there was a side of the road the seminarians could walk down without pubs on it - suspect that is just that, a myth. O'Neills is a very new (just over a decade) addition. The Roost is also less old than the original three (Bradys, LA/Cathedral and Caulfields/McMahons) so it must have been a case of them just opening very close to the town square.

Maynooth until the 1960s was a very small town hence everything on Main Street; and the first major development of houses outside the town - Rail Park, Greenfield Estate and Carton Court in the early 70s - somehow didn't spawn a pub. Newtown Inn was being discussed in the late 1980s but didn't open until the early 2000s.

I remember reading this "fact" in The Liffey Champ. just before O'Neills was opened.
    It was said there couldn't be a pub or betting shop on this side of the street, to protect the seminarians from temptation.
    A nice little story whether it's true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

The Mulk wrote: »
    I remember reading this "fact" in The Liffey Champ. just before O'Neills was opened.
    It was said there couldn't be a pub or betting shop on this side of the street, to protect the seminarians from temptation.
    A nice little story whether it's true or not.

Well the Liffey Champion is the newspaper of record.

I vote we go with the story, it's one I've always liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The pint was their own brew and by god it was horrible. Couldn't finish it.

It's not their own brew - it's Rye River. I had to ask the barman three times before he admitted it was them. I don't like any of the Rye River beers - all sh1te.

Staplor wrote: »
    Well the Liffey Champion is the newspaper of record.

Shilling for the Champion now are we :D

Had the €5 wings earlier on, they were in my opinion, the finest I've ever encountered. It wasn't too busy, but I couldn't fault anything this time around, will definitely be giving them another chance. Main was really good too, will be giving that fillet a go next time around

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Macaroons are amazing.

They have Prosecco on tap!!

The food was nice too and while it is 5 years for a starter and 10 for a main,it is very good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The Macaroons are amazing.

The food was nice too and while it is 5 years for a starter and 10 for a main,it is very good value.

Jaysus, that's slow service!!:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Auto Correct:)

Euro

Sounds about right, time wise, though

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

I was in there a few weeks back and we got up and left. Service was atrocious and food was inedible.

Apparently they've new chefs in there since, but I'm undecided as to whether I'll give it another try.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Was in there Saturday--not really impressed.The beer garden is essentially the same and it closed at 2.00 am which was a bit of a downer.
    At least with the roost its open until 2.30 or so (that half hour makes all the difference and weve often fallen out at 3.30 if the door staff are in a good mood!!)

Ill stick with the Roost but whatever band was there on Saturday were absolutely useless.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Moonbeam wrote: »

McMahon's have that in over a year. Good to see them support a local company though. I believe he's from Straffan.

oooh \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paddythe goat

went to maynnoth for drinks and meal ,all four of us....drinks two pints and ladies were on minerals..no club orange..no 7 up....no cidona....bad bad start....soup for all our to kick off..soup came all cold..bread stale and butter was melting fast cos bread was heated to hide its staleness.....

sent it back.. soup returned hot..thank you...no apology..nothing.....
    move on to steak and chips..excellent.....battered onion gave great flavour....well done.....more staff training asap....check temp of soup before it leaves the kitchen....get fresh bread every day..order some quality minerals..forget that splash machine for minerals....décor nice..ceats nice ..good heat on.....hope it does well this time.....will return soon....

There were builders picketing outside last night about non payment. No idea if they were direct or subbies - if subbies, the venue is unlikely to be responsible for it at all, but it gives a terrible impression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭paddythe goat

sorry to hear about pickets in maynooth..cathedral pub....but I do agree if they don't pay.....bang on a picket every Friday nite and Saturday nite until they cough up...........I for one will not pass a picket line.............

for too long people who were wronged ran to legal people..who gladly took their business and the builders/developers could then hide behind legal action for 5 years........

direct action is best.....hit them in the pocket..irish people are too calm and too slow........

Pickets again today daytime for match / lunch traffic

Hearing that this place has hit the wall... may not be true, but it was from staff.

L1011 wrote: »
    Hearing that this place has hit the wall... may not be true, but it was from staff.

Hadn't heard that but not altogether surprised.

Heard this yesterday as well, facebook page gone too. Can remember very well when The Roost turned weekend ghost town for a long period of time because of Mantra... The tables are well and truly turned at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Not in the least bit shocked. Same owner and same style as Mantra, how he thought it would be successful after two previous failures is beyond me. I hope he paid the builders in the end, though I doubt as he seems a right shady character.

We drove by yesterday late afternoon and it looked closed. It left me wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Was closed last night. The talk from staff was backers pulled the plug on management(old owners) and looking to sell on.

Never went there, and only 4/5 times as Mantra. All I heard was how poor food service was etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Closed up last Wednesday. It was just too big to work with so many other places in the town. You'd be mad to buy it, you'd have to knock the whole thing and start again. The best thing about the little pubs is you can see a crowd in them every night. You wouldn't see 50 people in the cathedral, it was just too big. Too hard to fill 7 nights a week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

beertons wrote: »
    Closed up last Wednesday. It was just too big to work with so many other places in the town. You'd be mad to buy it, you'd have to knock the whole thing and start again. The best thing about the little pubs is you can see a crowd in them every night. You wouldn't see 50 people in the cathedral, it was just too big. Too hard to fill 7 nights a week.

Damn this just means the roost will be more packed than usual!!!

Never really liked the place anyway.

They did it wrong when it opened up again recently.They should have made it completely different than what Mantra was.It was basically Mantra with a new name.

Advertisement