Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - to an English language teacher in Japan

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

get a place at a cheap hostel

^ Just to add to this, hostels in Japan are amazing. I had a fantastic time staying in hostels and they are nicer than a lot of hotels in other countries. I thought it's worth mentioning, because people have an idea of hostels being not particularly nice places, but the ones in Japan are pretty different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Thank you very much Sensei for answering all these questions! I spent three weeks at a Japanese language school in Tokyo myself about seven years ago, staying with a family in Setagaya, and I absolutely loved it.

Hopefully I'll get to go back in the next few years, maybe bring my son when he's of an age to appreciate it (it's a great place for kids apparently).

Meanwhile it's great to read your impressions of the place. I can identify with a lot of it, particularly the brilliant train system and absolute lack of rough scumbag types. The food there is wonderful, but I did find that I missed the holy trinity of coffee, milk and pastry, and had to visit Starbucks every few days to scratch that particular itch.

One question: I was lucky enough that there were no earthquakes while I was there, however there was that huge one that caused the tsunami, and since then there have been a good few fairly big ones centred down the east coast of Honshu from the north down to Tokyo. The lady in whose home I stayed said the big one was the scariest one she'd ever experienced, and the whole family, while fine, had been scattered all over the city and unable to get in touch for hours. What have your experiences of earthquakes been like?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Links234 wrote: »
    ^ Just to add to this, hostels in Japan are amazing. I had a fantastic time staying in hostels and they are nicer than a lot of hotels in other countries. I thought it's worth mentioning, because people have an idea of hostels being not particularly nice places, but the ones in Japan are pretty different.

+1. We stayed in a Ryoshan in Tokyo and it was amazing! We were a group of 4 in a 5-person room and they only charged us for 4!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Company Representative Posts: 32 Verified rep I'm an English language teacher, AMA

fricatus wrote: »
    One question: I was lucky enough that there were no earthquakes while I was there, however there was that huge one that caused the tsunami, and since then there have been a good few fairly big ones centred down the east coast of Honshu from the north down to Tokyo. The lady in whose home I stayed said the big one was the scariest one she'd ever experienced, and the whole family, while fine, had been scattered all over the city and unable to get in touch for hours. What have your experiences of earthquakes been like?

I wasn't in the country for the March 11th earthquake. I was due to fly to japan with my family about 10 days later. In the end I moved by myself and my family arrived about 6 weeks later.

I have never experienced one that really scared me. The two that I remember best are:

One that happened at about 5am. It woke me up and remember lying in bed thinking 'Maybe it's time to get out of the apartment, I'll have to if it gets a bit stronger' but in the end, I didn't even get out of bed.

The other was one that wasn't so strong, but went on for a long long time. I was in a class with three students, and when it started, the three of them looked at me, waiting to see my response. (There is a rule that if there is a strong earthquake you should open the doors as soon as possible so that if the wall gets damaged/buckled, you won't be trapped in the room behind a door that can't open) I decided I wasn't going to be the one to give in and rush to the door, so I just looked back at them, and eventually one of them jumped up to open the door.

The extremely simplistic rule of thumb is 'side to side shaking is no problem, but if you are bouncing up and down, get out right away.'

Kids get training in what to do, and there are specific zones designated as evacuation centres, and roads designated as priority roads in the event of an emergency. They are about as well prepared as they can be (which isn't much at all if the quake is big enough). It seems like everywhere you go, though, the locals love to tell you just how many years a big earthquake is overdue in their town/area.

If you watch the first three or four minutes of this video, you'll get an idea of the March 11th earthquake and aftermath (skip to about 0.35):

• Company Representative Posts: 32 Verified rep I'm an English language teacher, AMA

Coincidentally, there is a BBC article today about Japan, highlighting the suicide rate, social pressures, decreasing job stability, and hikikomori.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-33362387

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Thanks for the interesting AMA.

Are there any common questions or misconceptions about Ireland/the West that you've noticed? Is there a cultural aspect to your classes, or are they purely language orientated?

Similarly, had you any preconceptions about Japan or the people that turned out to be false once you'd started living there?

How's the sense of humour, or are things strictly formal and polite among colleagues/students?

Are your wife and kids enjoying their time here, or is their list of things they miss about Japan longer than yours? :)

Thanks for the interesting AMA.

Are there any common questions or misconceptions about Ireland/the West that you've noticed? Is there a cultural aspect to your classes, or are they purely language orientated?

Similarly, had you any preconceptions about Japan or the people that turned out to be false once you'd started living there?

How's the sense of humour, or are things strictly formal and polite among colleagues/students?

Are your wife and kids enjoying their time here, or is their list of things they miss about Japan longer than yours? :)

As I mentioned before about Ireland, very few people know much about it. Most misconceptions would come come confusing it with Iceland, England (even New Zealand once).

As for 'The West', yes, there are planty of misconceptions. The one on which all others are founded is that there are really only two places in the world, 'Japan' and 'The Rest', and that people from 'The Rest' will share many similarities in the way that Japanese people do.

I met Japanese people who didn't know that people living in France, and Germany, for example, have their own languages, rather than English. There seems to be an assumption that everybody eats chips everyday, that most people are aggressive, and that everywhere is dangerous. Also, people were surprised that not all Europeans they met in Japan were tall and blond.

Again, I want to point out that there is so little immigration and even tourist numbers are pretty low compared to a country like France, so apart from television, movies, etc, there is not much exposure to or education about The Rest. Still, I am not sure if I met proportionally more people with a lack of some fairly basic geographical and cultural knowledge than I have met in Ireland. You can bump into people who don't know stuff you thought everybody knew anywhere and everywhere.

Classes were mostly language-focused, although students are very often keen to learn about the culture (I think their awareness of how much there is to learn is being raised). It would be introduced informally though, in my experience, apart from classes to prepare students for a study-abroad program in a particular country, which would focus on culture and day-to-day life for obvious practical reasons.

EDIT: These days, many textbooks, and particularly those designed for the Japanese market, address this by making some of their units about specific cultural/geographical topics. It wouldn't be unusual for a textbook to have a unit about Food of the World, or something like that, with activities/projects for students to work together to research and share information about the food in a country of their choice. There might be a unit on capital cities with the same tasks also - even if it is not explicit in the textbooks, most teachers will use the unit as an opportunity to get the students learning about the wider world.

Perhaps I was naive, but I didn't expect the place to be so damn crowded. The size of the buildings, the numbers of people, everywhere. It shocked me. I expected stuff like electronics to be cheaper. I had no idea baseball was so massively popular. And I had to learn to recognise how Japanese students respond to teaching - how they express confusion, how to give feedback, how to understand when they are not happy with something. But you need to learn that in any new teaching environment.

Most of my colleagues have always been teachers from the countries where English is spoken as a mother tongue. In language schools, those colleagues were mostly young people, just out of university. It was all very relaxed and great fun - the problem was getting people to stop drinking in time to be able to get up in the morning. At university, the jobs are better, so the staff tend to be a bit older and more serious about teaching as a career. Still, the foreign teachers' table was usually the most realxed and lively one in the communal prep area.

The students' English is often so low that jokes go down a bomb - humour is something that often has a shared cultural understanding, and the students are not familiar with it at all (think of what is needed to understand 'So this blond girl walks into a library', for example). Also, punchlines often are a play on words of some kind, or perhaps reading between the lines, while the students are still struggling with the literal meaning. I would still suffer from much the same problems in a Japanese language conversation - a slightly pained expression on my face knowing there must have been a joke, but not quite getting it.

My wife and kids love it in Ireland. We just spent the day at my parents' house in the countrywide, with their dog and cat and big back garden. We went for a walk down the country lanes, found some frogs, saw an empty bird's nest made of moss, ate some wild blackberries. Stuff that is a million miles removed from Japan.

Sure, they miss stuff. My wife misses certain foods/ingredients she can't get here, and she really missed 100yen shops (I can't believe I forgot to mention these treasure troves earlier in my list of things I missed), and also laments Ireland's range and quality of restaurants. My kids mostly miss some of the friends and the zoo we used to go to pretty regularly. But they are making friends here also.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I have learned loads of things in this AMA, I think I'll be adding Japan to my list of places I'd like to visit soon.

Thanks so much I'm an English Language Teacher, AMA, this has been really informative and interesting. I can't believe nobody asked about geisha's or tea houses (can you tell 'Memoirs of a Geisha' is one of my favourite books? :pac:)

I'm going to close this one up now, thanks for all the great questions and answers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement