Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return overpaid standing order

Options
  • 29-06-2015 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi

A standing order left my account this weekend for our old landlord after we moved house

Bank basically useless we couldn't even find out if the SO is now cancelled. The landlord set it all up. He's on holidays and can't help us till he's back. Meanwhile our current rent is due and we don't have it

Is there any SEPA legislation that allows me to immediately return the standing order to me. There's legislation for DD'S but can't see one for SO'S

Please if you know, quote the legislation as I can't go back to the bank and tell them someone on boards said it was all good. The bank say talk to LL, but I'd like a second opinion. SEPA can do it for DD'S so maybe there's something

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

SOs don't have any such legislation because they're under the control of the account holder. I'm confused as to how your LL could have set up a SO from your account and how the bank can't tell you if it's still active. Something doesn't add up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I presume the landlord gave you a form to fill out? This is an instruction from YOU to pay from your bank to his account. The landlord cannot cancel it, only you can.

The bank will not undo it, you will have to ask the landlord to return it.

Advertisement