Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syncing iPhone 4S - settings.

• 29-06-2015 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

When I sync my iPhone 4s with my computer, it copies everything on my phone including photos - making an exact copy of the contents of my phone.

Now, if I delete some photos from my phone and sync again, my computer deletes them too.

Can I change the settings on my computer so that syncing is always cumulative and nothing is ever deleted from the computer?

The reason is, I want to keep everything I transfer across from my phone on my computer, but I then want to delete things from my phone to make memory space. (Only 16Gb 😳)

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you want to save space and save yourself the hassle of manually managing your photos and connecting to iTunes all the time, I think the best solution is iCloud Photo Library. You’ll have to pay for extra storage as the free 5GB isn’t enough, but it will simplify things considerably. Changes will be synced across all devices including the cloud, but only low resolution versions are kept on your phone which will save a lot of space.

But if don’t want the expense and/or insist on going the backup route, then maybe Dropbox. You can import photos directly from the phone into your photos library, like you would with a regular camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the reply.

I don't really want the expense of paying for storage. I'm a photographer, so I have tons of storage in my office. That's why I'd simply like to have a way of backing up without losing (from my computer storage) what I'd backed up previously.

Possible?

Thanks.

D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As I suggested above, then your best bet is probably to import directly into your photo library, just like you would with a DSLR.

Or it might be possible to import from iTunes without syncing, I’m not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

iCloud Photo Library is brilliant. Currently I have 6.7gb there but only 939mb used on the phone.
    I pay €10.99 a year for 20gb

Advertisement