Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unfair 20 charge?

Options
  • 29-06-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I recently bought car insurance online from 25plus.ie
    Double checked all the info and signed up, expecting the insurance disc to arrive in a few days.

Two weeks later I contact them via web chat and query the delay. I'm told I will have to pay 20 euro to get it re-sent?!
    Bloody annoyed, and don't feel I should be penalized. Spent more then enough on the damned insurance! Vultures.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

CHEESE__IT wrote: »
    I recently bought car insurance online from 25plus.ie
    Double checked all the info and signed up, expecting the insurance disc to arrive in a few days.

Two weeks later I contact them via web chat and query the delay. I'm told I will have to pay 20 euro to get it re-sent?!
    Bloody annoyed, and don't feel I should be penalized. Spent more then enough on the damned insurance! Vultures.
    Ask them for proof that they actually sent the first one! It could be a money making scam!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Many discount insurers charge for administrative tasks (hence being often able to provide a lower headline price than the competition). The charges would generally be outlined in the documentation/purchase process. These are the risks you take when in a trade off for lower prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Many discount insurers charge for administrative tasks (hence being often able to provide a lower headline price than the competition). The charges would generally be outlined in the documentation/purchase process. These are the risks you take when in a trade off for lower prices.

In fairness though, sending out an insurance disc isn't an administrative task, it's a fundamental and legal requirement of the service.

I had to get an old No Claims cert reissued from a policy I'd had a few years previously, the company charged me €20 and I think that was fair enough, it was my fault for not having kept the original. This isn't the same at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Might be some help but I was with 25plus and they also provided a copy of details in PDF by mail

Might be an alternative to print it yourself. I did it before but there's still the issue of the cert

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

What do the Gards say to home printed discs? I wouldn't fancy that as an option.
    OP, I would go with asking the company when they sent the disc and what address they sent it to. I wouldn't let this go without some arguing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

What do the Gards say to home printed discs? I wouldn't fancy that as an option.
    OP, I would go with asking the company when they sent the disc and what address they sent it to. I wouldn't let this go without some arguing.

I was never stopped, cant recall if I went through a checkpoint. I would argue it doesn't matter how its printed, its valid and up to date.

suppose it could easily be faked but I guess, off topic, ANPR would be the solution to that

I was never stopped, cant recall if I went through a checkpoint. I would argue it doesn't matter how its printed, its valid and up to date.

suppose it could easily be faked but I guess, off topic, ANPR would be the solution to that

It is of course an option, but a bit of a bodge and I would not be happy with it. All it takes is the wrong Gard on the wrong day. They have been known to drag people to court knowing they don't have a case, simply to cause you hassle. Most of the time they don't even turn up, so the hassle is all yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

In fairness though, sending out an insurance disc isn't an administrative task, it's a fundamental and legal requirement of the service

Re-send implies they did send it originally (and there is no reason to assume they haven't, as it doesn't really serve their interests to not send discs, thus generating extra expense of dealing with customer queries about missing discs etc..) and as such re-issuing something they previously did is something they might legitimately charge for.

Having been insured with them a previously they do make thier charges pretty clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Re-send implies they did send it originally (and there is no reason to assume they haven't, as it doesn't really serve their interests to not send discs, thus generating extra expense of dealing with customer queries about missing discs etc..) and as such re-issuing something they previously did is something they might legitimately charge for.

Having been insured with them a previously they do make thier charges pretty clear.

I suppose the only issue is that the OP claims never to have received the disc and cert in the first place and has notified the insurer of this within a short time frame. Assuming all this is true, I don't think it's reasonable to charge him/her for something that isn't his fault.

You're assuming that everything in an office is fool proof and fail safe. It absolutely isn't. Very easy for someone to put a note in a ticket that say "sent disc" and then forget to do it.
    I would still request if they have any more concrete evidence that the disc was sent out other than "Yeah, yeah, sure, erm, we did absolutely send it!" and to doublecheck what address was on that envelope.
    Consumer rights advise in this country usually is along the lines of "Well, if that's what they're telling you, that's what you gotta do!" (personal experience), but I would definitely not just let this go and at least ask them to double check.
    Because it's not their €20, they don't care, but it's never wrong to ask someone to double check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Having a home printed insurance disc wouldn't be acceptable, for the very reason you mentioned above.

Unfortunately the Guardái are really not interested in what company ****ed up, you are responsible for ensuring all legal requirements for your vehicle are met while on the road.

This also includes the myth, that having a booking email copy, exempts you from having an NCT cert. All this changed in 2014, where you can receive a Fixed Penalty, and penalty points for not having the correct discs for your car displayed.

Granted it depends on the Guard involved, and I've driven while waiting on my tax disc or insurance disc to arrive, I'm doing so with the knowing risk involved.

In terms of the issue, I had a problem with Chill insurance who mis-sent two instances of my Insurance package for me to sign off and return, wasn't charged either time to have it re-sent as they seemed to accept liability.

Sounds like a way for a cu-price insurer to recoup some costs, but I wouldn't be having them charge me for what (taking OP's word) is their own clerical error, or an issue with An Post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Interesting, maybe the shape of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I'm waiting a month for an insurance disk from Carole Nash, they have sent it 3 times now and no extra charge. I suspect the regular posty is on hols and replacement doesn't know where I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

JoeySully wrote: »
    I'm waiting a month for an insurance disk from Carole Nash, they have sent it 3 times now and no extra charge. I suspect the regular posty is on hols and replacement doesn't know where I am.

Well thank God that will soon be a thing of the past:
    https://www.eircode.ie/

A system that will easily identify every house and therefore make it easier to find addresses like "The Bog, past the stick in the mud, continue for 3 miles and take a left at the dead badger, well it was there last week, who is going to move it?, You? So it's should still be there"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Mod: @Posters, let's stick to the issue and not get into comparing various positioning/location/postcode systems. Off-topic post deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Was it made clear if stuff is lost in the post you will have to pay? I can't recall ever seeing anything like that in anything I signed up to.

And are all the charges listed? like specificially saying €20, or just "a charge" which could just as easily have been €200

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭travellingbid

I think 25plus are the same group as its4women. I had the exact same issue last year with them. Tried to charge me to resend but I never got it in the first place. I was advised to quote some piece of consumer legislation to them by someone who works in the insurance industry and sure enough I had it within a couple of days without having to pay. It has completely put me off dealing with them ever again for anything.

If you're still having the issue please let me know and I'll see if I can route out what I was sent somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CHEESE__IT

yes still waiting on my disc!
    I was given a number to ring regarding payment. Tried to ring it many times and nobody ever answered.
    Now I'm trying via the live chat to argue my case.
    Yes would be interested to know what that consumer legislation quote is! thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 CHEESE__IT

at last got it sorted. They will send it for free after some argument.
    Bunch of chancers.
    thanks for your input

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭travellingbid

Sorry Cheese It, just spotted your post - glad you got sorted. It does take an argument, it's so stressful!

Advertisement