Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regarding UK short stay holiday visa?

• 29-06-2015 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Does a South african on holiday who is married to a Irish partner need a visa to enter the UK via ferry for a weeks holiday?
    online research suggests various opinions -
    Do not need a visa because of the Irish/UK visa waiver.
    Marriage to EU spouse with return ticket etc.
    British embassy in dublin is all automated answers.
    Irish foreign affairs "is not certain"
    Don't want to fly in or catch the ferry only to be sent back.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

UK and Ireland are in 'Common Travel Area'.

I am British and white and never get asked for documents when I arrive on the ferry from Ireland.

I did notice though that foreign looking people were being asked for documents at Holyhead even though I wasn't.

Nomis21 wrote: »
    UK and Ireland are in 'Common Travel Area'.

I am British and white and never get asked for documents when I arrive on the ferry from Ireland.

I did notice though that foreign looking people were being asked for documents at Holyhead even though I wasn't.

You still need the relevant Visa for both countries, Common Travel Area doesn't apply to people from SA

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/British%20Irish%20Visa%20Scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lancefoster

Thanks for that Keith and Nomis.
    I think il have to wait for my stamp 4 visa to be granted before going over on holiday or just hop on the ferry and hope for the best at the other side :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Stamp 4 won't help you. You need a UK Visa, even to pop up to Belfast.

While you won't be checked leaving Ireland, there is a small chance you'll be checked when docking, and since April, 100% chance of being checked when leaving.

Just apply for the visa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,836 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Not strictly true re exit checks and the CTA - the Home Office say that "special arrangements will apply" and don't give any more information.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Not strictly true re exit checks and the CTA - the Home Office say that "special arrangements will apply" and don't give any more information.

Yes, if the OPs partner was from the UK and not Ireland then it might be a problem. They have special conditions for UK Citizens coming from an EU Country with a partner on Stamp 4.

Thanks everyone for your comments and help. Much appreciated.
    I was issued with a Stamp 4 visa on the spot yesterday upon a visit to the INIS office.
    They could not advise me on whether i would need a visa to enter the UK but did say "some countries won't have a problem with it."
    Im going to hop on the ferry in the next few days and just give it a try. il let you all know how I got on.
    Stamp 4, passport & marriage certificate. Oh and il try not to forget my wife :) hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

Well everyone... I succeeded to visit London flying from Dublin to Gatwick without any hassles whatsoever. Back in Dublin after a great time in London.

Stamp 4 visa IS ENOUGH to get you into UK as long as your EU spouse is present! For a holiday that is!

So many different opinions online and such a lack of information from the relevant sources make for a very confusing situation but , I can finally say that YOU ARE LEGALLY ALLOWED TO ENTER THE UK on a STAMP 4 visa if your wife is present!

On the subject -

We leave for Belgium 2moro to visit some friends and once again I will be travelling with only my STAMP 4 VISA, MY WIFE and OUR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE... Will let you know how it all works out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rizdub

Hello lancefoster, how was ur travel experience to Belgium on Stamp 4 visa?

Please let me know as I am in a similar situation and planning to visit uk
    on stamp 4 with Irish spouse.

Advertisement