Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potatoes

Options
  • 29-06-2015 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

has anyone ever tried sowing potatoes after an early crop in the same place or tried a second crop of anything in the same place in one year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

johnd123 wrote: »
    has anyone ever tried sowing potatoes after an early crop in the same place or tried a second crop of anything in the same place in one year

Plant cabbage, swedes,turnip,broccoli,or chard! or lettuce and salad leaves.
    Nor is it too late for beetroot,courgette or marrow, you should be able to source plants (or seed)in any garden centre,
    Definitely,after early spuds plant away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

can I throw in my own question here too?

when would be the latest date to plant potatoes?

Can I still plant some?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

celica00 wrote: »

Can I still plant some?

Absolutely - I planted my early potato varieties in late February and commenced harvesting early May - approximately 12 weeks from sowing to harvest. Therefore, you should have plenty of time to sow maincrop potato varieties now for harvesting late September / October.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

celica00 wrote: »

Can I still plant some?

I am about to plant some in July in the Polly.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

iainBB wrote: »
    I am about to plant some in July in the Polly.

Can be done, but watch for frost from mid Sept!
    Planted a winter variety of potato last Oct in tunnel and had new spuds at Xmas!
    Probably way to late to plant main crop potato as they need a lot more time to mature compared to early varieties, and would be very succeptable to blight from a very young stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

invicta wrote: »
    Can be done, but watch for frost from mid Sept!
    Planted a winter variety of potato last Oct in tunnel and had new spuds at Xmas!

The Polly is under ground and is heated with 4 wheel bin of hot compost. Starting end of September. No real issues with frost until late Nov early Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

excellent, thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 johnd123

thanks will try a 2nd crop

Advertisement