Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

House refurb/result estimate prior to house purchase

• 29-06-2015 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Could someone advise what would be a cost effective method in employing a professional (e.g. QS / architect) to price up a 1970's standard house for modernisation.

The price estimate along with house purchase price can then be used to determine affordability.

Things that would require costing would be suspended floors, plumbing, wiring, insulation, interna layout, sanitary fittings etc.

So the balance here is not overspending on the survey/estimation in case the house purchase doesn't work out, however sufficiently detailed so as to be within 10/20% of actual costs.

Advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You need to be clear on what you mean by modernisation:
    • Part L minimum
    • Part L +
    • Passiv Haus
    • Certified Passiv Haus
    • Beyond Passiv
    • Low carbon

Then you have different standards of finish:
    cheap laminate vs 1,250 euro sq metre marble tiles.

fool around with this
    https://www.scsi.ie/advice/house_rebuilding_calculator

No need to complicate it, just ask the guys what are they seeing for rebuild costs, I would guess euro 450-500/sq m wouldn't be a bad figure to start with for a complete "gut" job.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

You need to be clear on what you mean by modernisation:
    • Part L minimum
    • Part L +
    • Passiv Haus
    • Certified Passiv Haus
    • Beyond Passiv
    • Low carbon

No need to complicate it, just ask the guys what are they seeing for rebuild costs, I would guess euro 450-500/sq m wouldn't be a bad figure to start with for a complete "gut" job.

Thanks for your reply Calahonda52. At early stages, so good to get a high level breakdown on what are current standards.

When you say, "ask the guys", presumably you mean a chartered QS to complete a site survey?

Would appreciate any feedback on what typical fees would be for such a survey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Tefral

Where is the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

house is in Meath, near Dunshaughlin.

Advertisement