Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volume!

Options
  • 29-06-2015 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭

I can't understand how producers are getting so much volume from their tracks without it affecting the underlying sound quality by distorting it. Even looking at the waveforms of the tracks, it doesn't look like they're that loud. Yet when I play them next to mine, I'm down by at least 30%!

I master my tracks and get extra volume, but unless I go at it with something like Wave Hammer, which basically just amplifies stuff, I can't get anywhere near that sort of volume.

I know it's a fine art and probably not something you could describe in a post, but can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to maximise volume without destroying the sound? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I'm no expert but it must be through well selected and EQed sounds and great use of side chaining. After two years I am still just beginning but of course we all compare our productions to release quality stuff and there is a lot to learn.

I want to get a nice eq which will layer a few channels one on top of the other in different colors so I can relate what I'm hearing to the mix of channels. Fab filter do one I'm sure. I know I could just open all the EQs side by side but layered on one graph seems a more accurate view to see what frequencies are being shared.

Sounds sharing the same space definitely is something I want to get smarter about. Fighting with these with drastic eq often sucks the sound away.

Another thing I've come across is instead of always boosting a transient, cut a notch for it instead.

Anyway I'm going to go off on a tangent but yeah, some of the best produced stuff I hear is very clean with sounds in their own space. Brick walling a cluttered mix will never sounds as good.

Jeez, it's an up hill battle isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Haha true, it's where to start! The last track I finished sounded great until I listened to another from a reputable producer, and the width, volume and clarity he gets in his tracks just make mine sound slightly amateur. I don't know if it's to do with the mastering or if it happens before then but either way, it makes his stuff sound great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Anyway I'm going to go off on a tangent but yeah, some of the best produced stuff I hear is very clean with sounds in their own space. Brick walling a cluttered mix will never sounds as good.

Jeez, it's an up hill battle isn't it?

As above, the very well produced stuff allows each sounds it's on room while still combining to produce a coherent and well mixed track.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

mordeith wrote: »
    As above, the very well produced stuff allows each sounds it's on room while still combining to produce a coherent and well mixed track.

So, and I know it's a big ask, how do you go about doing that? As I said I know these guys either are very skilled or have someone who is very skilled doing it, but is it all about the EQ, or is there an element of compression, reverb, etc. that needs to be included?

I'm definitely getting better at it and my tracks are sounding more professional but still a way off the really good guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

SuprSi wrote: »
    So, and I know it's a big ask, how do you go about doing that? As I said I know these guys either are very skilled or have someone who is very skilled doing it, but is it all about the EQ, or is there an element of compression, reverb, etc. that needs to be included?

I'm definitely getting better at it and my tracks are sounding more professional but still a way off the really good guys.

Ah well, that's the rub. I don't think volume is the holy grail tbh. Well that's probably dependent on style I guess. Take big room house (or EDM if you must). Those tracks are always peak volume yet sound clean and well produced. However I'm of the opinion that lots of producers of this style heavily use sample packs from Vengeance and the likes. These samples will have been professionally engineered to sound loud out of the box. A little bit of eq and comp afterwards will only increase that. If you are starting from a kick sample that's not had that level of pre treatment then I'd say it's a hard slog to get to a similar volume level without shredding the integrity of the sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

It's pretty much entirely down to sound selection I think. If you pick the right sounds that naturally occupy different band regions and fit well, then you don't have to EQ much. Same if your sounds have good attack, you don't need to compress so much to give it more "pop". It's of course a lot easier said then done.

However I think the less is more approach is the right answer. Most tracks these days have very few elements but the sounds themselves carry a lot of weight. Volume itself is not what makes a track loud, it's the perceptive loudness of the sounds used. The frequencies involved (generally bright), the transient shape of the sound etc.

A lot of the perception of quality comes from the percussive elements as well I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

A lot of the big wide sounds you hear are down to mid/side added to the mastering. Here's a video explaining the very basics. Its in reason but the principle is the same. Skip to 1.24 for explanation

Advertisement