Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Washing lines across the streets?

• 29-06-2015 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

I live pretty central in Galway. While looking out the window there I got thinking about the mad situation we have about drying washed clothes. We have no balcony or anything, so like loads of people I know are pretty reliant on a dryer or whatever crappy heating you've got to dry the clothes. And then you don't really have that during the Summer (couple of months anyway).

So why not have lines going across the streets for people to hang their washing from? I think it would be very beneficial to the environment by reducing power used on appliances. Could be pretty nice distinctive feature of Ireland - Something like this except nicer.

Climate change lads, it's either this or we build nuclear power plants

Washing lines across the streets? 37 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    21% 8 votes
    We should do this and build nuke plants
    64% 24 votes
    Other
    13% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

Here's an idea...........

NO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Hugh garden here with clothes line love th drying outside. Like to think i'm giving up enough water to make a little cloud;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I think it could help foster a greater sense of community in towns and cities nationwide too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Deub

That lovely smell of petrol on my T-shirts....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not sure the Irish would want their dirty linen aired in public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Look a bit silly if you were in a high-rise and there were bungalows across the street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Ahem, air tax pleash.

kneemos wrote: »
    Not sure the Irish would want their dirty linen aired in public.

I think most people in Ireland buy decent washing machines, well capable of dealing anything up to a 9 on the skidmark scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

c_man wrote: »

Climate change lads, it's either this or we build nuclear power plants

Water vapour is a greenhouse gas.

Stop killing the planet you monster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just buy a clothes horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm sure clothes falling off the line and into traffic is a great way to both lose valuable clothes and cause accidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

You know this is a thing, right? Like, not a stroke of genius. Something that was done until probably the 60s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Washing lines across the streets?

Ah yes, take me back to me yoot, wit visions of Ena Sharples & Alf Garnet, black on white television, women wearing hairnets (during the day), Ford Anglia's, the Rag & bone man, big knickers, the sound of hoof on cobble stones, and the smell of da'auld Liffey, as she stank like hell.

Ah, dem were da'days.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Ah yes, take me back to me yoot, wit visions of Ena Sharples & Alf Garnet, black on white television, women wearing hairnets (during the day), Ford Anglia's, the Rag & bone man, big knickers, the sound of hoof on cobble stones, and the smell of da'auld Liffey, as she stank like hell.

Ah, dem were da'days.

Well, this story begins in that unforgettable spring of 1983.
    Ms. Pac-Man struck a blow for women's rights.
    A young Joe Piscopo taught us how to laugh.

il gatto wrote: »
    You know this is a thing, right? Like, not a stroke of genius. Something that was done until probably the 60s.

Yes, I didn't think that needed pointing out tbh... I didn't think the linked pic was photoshopped anyway. But why good enough for our ancestors and not us, do we think we're better?
    Just buy a clothes horse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still not good enough. Clothes horse in the apartment, you'll be waiting days for the same level of drying you could get in an hour or two on the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I generally leave my servants to worry about such matters. After all thats what I'm paying them 1.50 an hour (meal costs deducted) for

Yes, I didn't think that needed pointing out tbh... I didn't think the linked pic was photoshopped anyway. But why good enough for our ancestors and not us, do we think we're better?

Still not good enough. Clothes horse in the apartment, you'll be waiting days for the same level of drying you could get in an hour or two on the line.

Clicking on links? Pah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You'd have too many drunken idiots trying to do the comedy thing where they jump out a window and end up unhurt wearing their neighbours clothes.

smash wrote: »
    You'd have too many drunken idiots trying to do the comedy thing where they jump out a window and end up unhurt wearing their neighbours clothes.

You've sold me on the idea. Where do I sign up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

clothes horse

I always find this to be quite a peculiar name considering what it is.

Edit: Couldn't help myself:
    The name clothes horse was in use by the early nineteenth century; from 1850 the term was also used figuratively for a male fop or female quaintrelle, a person whose main function is or appears to be to wear or show off clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Whatever about how it may looks, from the practical side of things you'll only have pigeons sitting on it and shitting on your nice white undies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 wobblinbrush

People probably won't be surprised to hear that in a part of Clara Co. Offaly they do hang their washing across the street. As in their washing lines are across the road in a field for some reason.

Advertisement