Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog behaviourist needed Newry area

• 29-06-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I am hoping someone can recommend a behaviourist in Northern Ireland who can help me. I bred a litter last year and sold a male pup to a family in Newry. Last week they called me and said that he was being very aggressive and trying to bite them. Long story short, the wee dog has stayed with us for 10 days and although he displayed fear agression for the first two days once he settled in he has been fine. I thought he had had a fright of some sort which had made him act agressively and that he had gotten over it so all was ok. However his owners called to collect him tonight and he was growling, snapping, and baring his teeth at them.
    Although we have owned, bred and trained our own dogs for over 30 years I can't figure out why he is ok with me and my husband and not with them. His owners have left him with us and gone home understandably very distressed. I am hoping a behaviourist or animal psychologist could help us.
    We have his brother and sister, his mother, and also his uncle and aunt and have no issues with their temperament.
    I am hoping someone on the forum can shed some light on this behaviour and/or recommend someone who could help.
    By the way, this wee dog is a miniature pinscher, not a Dobermann. He is just 14 months old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Have you been to there house? Do you suspect that it is an owner issue and he isn't being treated well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Have you been to there house? Do you suspect that it is an owner issue and he isn't being treated well?

I'd agree here, I'd be very much inclined to think someone in the household is abusing him. There's no other logical reason for it as I imagine a health or mental issue would involve most or all humans and not just the ones he primarily boards with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Doberwomann

I have questioned the owners about how he is being treated, even suggested that someone could have unwittingly hurt him but they are adamant that he has never been mistreated even accidently so I just don't know what to believe. The owners are in their mid forties and their youngest child is sixteen so it is hard to believe that one of them would hurt or tease him for fun. He has been so good with us this last week, he even let me clip his nails.
    I used to be involved with a rescue society so am used to dealing with nervous and/or aggressive dogs but he has me baffled.
    I am going to take him to training class tomorrow night to see how he behaves around other people.
    Thanks for your input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

This lady is in Louth, so would probably cover the Newry area - http://www.dogsbehavingbadly.ie/

Advertisement