Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on selling and exporting a car to UK

• 29-06-2015 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi All
    I am trying to sell my 2007 X5 for the last month without a sniff of a buyer even though it's priced cheaper than all the others. I think the road tax here just puts everyone off.
    I was advised by someone to sell it in the UK and get the VRT back. The VRT rebate is good and with sterling so strong at the moment it would probably be worth my while.
    Problem is I haven't a clue on how to go about selling it in the UK. Do garages take trade ins ? Is it hard to sell it privately seeing as people won't be able to really view it.
    I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me with this.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You might look into changing it to a crewcab to make it easier to sell here?
    Don't know if it's possible with an x5, but worth investigating

For a vrt rebate, you'd need to be certain that vrt was actually paid in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DecjKav

Thanks Colm. I had it from new so the VRT was paid..... and a hell of a lot of it too !!!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You might look into changing it to a crewcab to make it easier to sell here?
    Don't know if it's possible with an x5, but worth investigating

For a vrt rebate, you'd need to be certain that vrt was actually paid in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 southbound

just wondering how long it takes for a car reg to appear on car history sites such as cartell once exported to the UK and registered with DVLA? My car got a UK reg 10 days ago but any garages I contact can't quote me a price because it's not on their system. It does appear on the DVLA online vehicle enquiry.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would say a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 southbound

OK, thanks for that. All the dealers I've contacted use Glass or something similar. I find there's no point even describing the spec, they insist on looking up the reg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 goalposts

DecjKav wrote: »
    Thanks Colm. I had it from new so the VRT was paid..... and a hell of a lot of it too !!!

Hi @DecjKav, did you go about the part exchange in the UK in the end? I'm interested in doing similar myself and haven't found someone willing to take part exchange of an Irish car (albeit originally imported from UK) aside from going up North. There's better value in England it seems...

Thanks,

goalposts

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tedwardoconnor

Resurrecting this one: looking at selling my 03 CL55 AMG Kompressor back to the UK (original owner brought it in in 05), did anyone have success in the end? Haven’t a clue where to post it, haven’t listed it in Ireland yet (it kills me to sell it), so would appreciate any guidance you could offer, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Resurrecting this one: looking at selling my 03 CL55 AMG Kompressor back to the UK (original owner brought it in in 05), did anyone have success in the end? Haven’t a clue where to post it, haven’t listed it in Ireland yet (it kills me to sell it), so would appreciate any guidance you could offer, thanks!

First thing you need to know is if there is a rebate available from revenue. If the guy who brought it in here got it in get free of vrt, they won't pay any rebate. So I guess check calculator to see if worth while firstly then book a vrt export inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tedwardoconnor

mickdw wrote: »
    First thing you need to know is if there is a rebate available from revenue. If the guy who brought it in here got it in get free of vrt, they won't pay any rebate. So I guess check calculator to see if worth while firstly then book a vrt export inspection.

Thanks Mick, had checked a while back, looks like I’d get about €2k back (think the original owner paid about €15k when he brought it in).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

VRT calculator is down for me - can't get past 'transmission type' option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is now a Selling Buying forum.
    Old thread lock

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement