Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house - low water pressure

Options
  • 29-06-2015 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Hi, my dad has lived in a council house for 25+ years. In the last few years the water pressure in the shower (bath with a shower hose attachment) has dwindled considerably, it's useless for showers. I'm just wondering if the council would send someone out to take a look if he asked? I know they are supposed to take care of certain things in the house, I looked at the list in the Fingal website but it doesn't mention this specific problem. He never has much in the way of spare cash to call out a plumber himself. He has never asked them for anything in the many years he has lived there. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Why not ask them? With councils it's often a case of who you talk to on the day. Worth a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ask. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And they cannot help if they don't know about it.

It may be due to a problem with the plumbing in the house (is there a pump). Or it may be due to a problem with the water supply itself - in which case you'd be complaining to a different part of the council / Irish Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Is there a lime build up in the tap /showerhead. Use vinegar on the showerhead see how it does

• Registered Users Posts: 82,734 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It has to be the shower head as the water would be coming from the attic tank and so pressure would be standard over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Is there a lime build up in the tap /showerhead. Use vinegar on the showerhead see how it does

Yep - remove showerhead, soak in white vinegar overnight or how long it takes to break down the lime. If the water pressure problem is only with the shower, this is the solution.

Works for electric kettles as well:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The limescale check is good, and definitely worth doing. But it's not necessarily the only factor.

In some areas, councils have been known to reduce pressure overall recently. When he was trying to work out why some electric showers weren't workign, Mr OBumble has had off-the-record conversations with council engineers who have confirmed this.

Advertisement