Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room in my house to licencee - what's the minimum notice I can give?

Options
  • 29-06-2015 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm may rent out half the house and Im the house owner.
    I understand its not a Lease. Is there such a thing a licencee agreement ?

Or Just draft up something myself?

I was thinking of writing up a simple agreement:

Your Name:

Mths rent =
    Deposit received = (In writing x Euros if Cash)
    Notice to quit from licencee = x days
    Notice to quit from land lord = x days

If Im unfortunate enough to get someone unsuitable what the minimum notice? Can I stipulate 24 hours to them and request 30 days from them?

Ive a young family to look after and a lunatic sharer is something Ive to protect myself from.

House rules: Very few if any.

Is it possible / polite / practical to ask for a copy of someones ID in case they run away with all my possessions :-) They know where I live but a stranger is sharing my home. I realise there is identity theft risk to the person but I need something. I will settle for a work reference if necessary.
    Perhaps their banking details will suffice now that I think about it, Although I would request a cash or band draft deposit/first mths rent.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Putting things in writing gives a licensee more rights than they are entitled too. When you find the right person come to a verbal agreement. Be fussy about who you rent to and all should be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You are better off with no agreement as if you give them a week or month to leave then you might have to live with a lunatic for that long, if they don't work out you can give "reasonable" notice. Reasonable notice for troublemakers could be as little as 24hours then you pack their stuff and leave it outside your door after changing the locks.

You can take a deposit for any damages and just give a normal rent receipt dated and marked as the deposit.

You can request 30 days from them but in reality they can leave as quickly as you can throw them out but most people are reasonable and won't be any trouble.

It will take some getting used to but if you shared a house before you will be better able to adjust to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Thanks

I shared years ago but Ive a young daughter to look after now and want to thread carefully and know my rights just in case.

Its a lovely place and Im sure all will be fine.

To be honest the fact that you have a young child should put off a lot of potentially troublesome people, as well as a lot of others. Owner occupied accommodation is a negative for some potential tenants, the market will be further reduced by those willing to live with an owner and small child.

athtrasna wrote: »
    To be honest the fact that you have a young child should put off a lot of potentially troublesome people, as well as a lot of others. Owner occupied accommodation is a negative for some potential tenants, the market will be further reduced by those willing to live with an owner and small child.

Its a high quality house / furnishings and Im offering the entire top half of a house / en suite with own door at the bottom of a covered off stairs, effectively self contained and private.

I will choose well and the fact that Ive got 24 hours notice capability I will be relaxed choosing and that's when I made the right decisions years ago.
    When I was subletting scraping the rent together I was stressed and made some errors of judgements, usually every 3 years I picked a head banger :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Second put nothing in writing, particularly with a young child you may want to evict someone with immediate effect, the flip side of course is they can also leave with no notice whilst retaining their deposit.
    If possible go for someone with Garda vetting.

MouseTail wrote: »
    Second put nothing in writing, particularly with a young child you may want to evict someone with immediate effect, the flip side of course is they can also leave with no notice whilst retaining their deposit.

Garda vetting may be a difficult one.

If they leave with no notice I don't care.

Im going to choose carefully and choose a female or couple.

Thanks for the advice.

Im targeting people who want to stay for 3 mths / short lets.

Going to get half house sectioned off and share kitchen etc ...

Im a bit nervous to be honest but it means extra holidays and save easily for a car. It will be a worthwhile trade off

Be careful with short lets, you might be leaving yourself open to a tax liability. Revenue are distinguishing between rent a room and short term letting. Only the former lets you earn up to 12k tax free

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

MouseTail wrote: »

It's not possible for individuals to get Garda vetting. It is only available to registered organisations.

A proxy can by to only let to people working in jobs where they would have to have it (eg teachers, caregivers) - but it can be hard to know what jobs have it and what ones done. But doing this would rule out a huge number of perfectly suitable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Don't rule out a guy...especially a separated one...They work all the hours God sends to pay maintenance/mortgage/rent and often have dinner somewhere before they get home and don't use the kitchen a lot...It worked for me when I had a small child...Of course the less you share with them the better. Sounds like a good idea to rent them the top half of the house...Another type of renter that works well when you have children is someone who just wants a room Mon to Fri...If you're in Dublin that's a possibility. I did that too and it means you have the house to yourself most weekends.

• Advertisement
Advertisement