Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Westboro Baptist Church's new enemy.

• 29-06-2015 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭

Weird Al Yankovic!

Reading that the US Supreme Court had just legalised gay marriage, I was morbidly curious as to what the infamous Westboro Baptist Church had to say about it. Turns out, according to their picket schedule, they're more interested in the new object of their ire ... Weird Al Yankovic!!

Link (beware of the crazy (or "Trigger warning" as the modern Left demands))

The item will probably disappear tomorrow, because it refers to future schedules, and the Weird Al concert is scheduled for tomorrow (the 30th).

Now, I don't know if anyone here is familiar with Weird Al, he's one of those American cultural icons that does not cross the pond. Nutshell version, he writes and performs parody/comedy songs, and those focus on good old fashioned, clean fun. Since '79 or thereabouts, he's taken on the popular music of the day, some songs originally quite dark/profane/controversial sometimes, and made melodically similar parodies that are bright, cheery and above all, funny as hell. And weird. Hence the name Weird Al.

In terms of his musics' general inoffensiveness and family friendliness, he's like an American adult-pop version of Mister Rogers FFS.

So you can imagine my surprise when I read the unbelieveable venom directed at him from the WBCs page ...

I think this page serves as evidence, if any futher were required, the extreme levels of damage religion can do to the human mind. Though I can't help but suspect these inbred aholes would be warped in the head even if it weren't for the Abrahamic scriptures.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What is the point of spreading their message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Ignore the wastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

I would really like for the Westboro B C to disolve/disappear/go away. Unfortunately they keep getting media attention way in disproportion to their tiny size (circa 200 odd members?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Isn't there a rumor that they are not actually religious at all? They are just a bunch of lawyers that try to sue whoever they can?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

For once I agree with the westboro Baptist Church.

Weird Al is rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

For once I agree with the westboro Baptist Church.

Weird Al is rubbish.

yup, he is an untalented Frank Zappa wannabe...

(at least Zappa was a handy guitarist)

Can we make a rule that the Westboro Baptist Church cannot be discussed on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

The irony being that Weird Al is one of the best living advertisements for a clean Christian lifestyle. He looks at least 15 years younger than his age!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are they not about 20 years behind on this one? I didnt even realise he was still going.

Can we make a rule that the Westboro Baptist Church cannot be discussed on here?

Or at least that any such discussion be relegated to the Bowels of Boards, such as A&A?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭SeanW

catallus wrote: »
    What is the point of spreading their message?
    To warn sane people of the danger of Abrahamic scripture? - Take that stuff seriously and you could end up like these cretins.

SeanW wrote: »
    To warn sane people of the danger of Abrahamic scripture? - Take that stuff seriously and you could end up like these cretins.

So you trawl the web for stories about a group of about 80 people in Kansas, about 4000 miles away, to warn about Abrahamic scripture? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭SeanW

I wasn't trawling, I just went there out of morbid curiosity only to realise that they had plumbed even deeper depths of insanity than I could possibly have imagined. Not that I thought them all that well-adjusted before this, to say the least. I mean seriously. Weird Al Yankovic. The least hateful/offensive guy on the planet. How F@#%ed up in the head do you have to get that state? :confused:

(Disclaimer, I'm a Weird Al fan, which probably colours my view a little).

As to warning people about Abrahamic scripture, I could also point to Grenoble, Tunisia, Kuwait, etc.

I wasn't trawling, I just went there out of morbid curiosity only to realise that they had plumbed even deeper depths of insanity than I could possibly have imagined. Not that I thought them all that well-adjusted before this, to say the least. I mean seriously. Weird Al Yankovic. The least hateful/offensive guy on the planet. How F@#%ed up in the head do you have to get that state? :confused:

(Disclaimer, I'm a Weird Al fan, which probably colours my view a little).

As to warning people about Abrahamic scripture, I could also point to Grenoble, Tunisia, Kuwait, etc.

That's all very well, but do you really thinking linking to a bunch of people who call their website "godhatesfags" is going to encourage a reasonable or meaningful debate?

Or are you just stirring shíte on a Monday night?

FWIW, "Abrahamic Scripture" is the reason we have our civilisation; it may behoove one to remember the faith of our fathers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Religious fundamentalists trolling people as usual. If its not themselves they hate it. It would be easier for the WBC to just make a list of what they actually do like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Now, I don't know if anyone here is familiar with Weird Al, he's one of those American cultural icons that does not cross the pond.

Ahem! He has performed - or is due to perform - a concert here in Ireland, this year.
    He is quite intelligent and only plays the goof.
    My favourite song of his is "Eat it"; his parody of beat it by Mickeen Jackson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Are they not about 20 years behind on this one? I didnt even realise he was still going.

He's had a massive resurgence these last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Religious fundamentalists trolling people as usual

Ummmmm.... what? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

A trigger warning on AH. Has it come to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Ahem! He has performed - or is due to perform - a concert here in Ireland, this year.
    He is quite intelligent and only plays the goof.
    My favourite song of his is "Eat it"; his parody of beat it by Mickeen Jackson.

Mine is "Bob". I don't know how anyone could watch that and say he's talentless or an idiot. "Never odd or even, If I had a hifI!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

brevity wrote: »
    Isn't there a rumor that they are not actually religious at all? They are just a bunch of lawyers that try to sue whoever they can?

no idea whether they are actually religious or not (though if not they do a great job of faking it) but the lawyer bit is correct. the daddy of the family was a leading human rights lawyer in the 60's and friend of MLK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

JohnDee wrote: »
    I would really like for the Westboro B C to disolve/disappear/go away. Unfortunately they keep getting media attention way in disproportion to their tiny size (circa 200 odd members?).

If people ignore them then they will disappear. They are a group of less than 100 nowadays and the majority of their funding comes from their media stunts.
    brevity wrote: »

They are a family of lawyers but religion or there version of it, is at the core of everything they do.

Advertisement