Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water in an old house- Need help!!

Options
  • 30-06-2015 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm doing up the old family home with a view to letting it (as noone is currently living there) and have a few questions about what would be the best value for money to do re heating.

So the situation as it is now... There are two open fires and one of them runs a boiler which heats the hot water for the taps. Heating of the rooms is also via storage heaters downstairs (its a two and a half story townhouse). The boiler was old when my parents first moved in around 28 years ago, and as you can imagine is very inefficient- pretty much theres no hot water in the house at the moment. Since I am on a budget and have to prioritise, I was going to get the hot water for the taps sorted first and worry about heating the rooms later (unless there is an easy solution for both?).

I'm a complete novice at this kind of stuff, so dont even know where to start really. Any advice on where I should go from here would be great. I'm not looking to get any major building works done if at all possible, and my absolute maximum budget would be €1200 for this (I may be delusional but was hoping for it to be a good bit less as this leaves me a bit tight for completing the kitchen). So basically what are the prices of my options and what would you reccommend? Also, are there any grants available for this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

I'm not sure if you have a gas connection or there may be one running close by that you could connect to but a gas combi boiler would be a good solution to both heating and hot water. It heats water on demand (when senses an open hot tap) and runs as a usual boiler for heating. I think they range in prices from about €800.

Or you could look at installing an electric shower and the relatively new hot water taps which have a heating element built into them to give instant hot water - these could be fitted in the kitchen the bathroom sinks. For heating you can hang onto the storage heaters or upgrade them.

Advertisement