Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N72 - Mallow Northern Relief Road [refined route options published]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I have to ask. Is there any planned N72 Fermoy bypass on the table ?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭sonnyblack

marno21 wrote: »
    This seems to be back under discussion with the mothballing of the M20 scheme

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bypass-worth-euro90m-to-mallow-339581.html

I'd be surprised if Mallow gets the jump on Macroom in terms of funding allocation. In terms of bypasses Macroom has been out there for a long time whereas Mallow had the misfortune to be linked to the now dead M20 PPP project. My humble opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

sonnyblack wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Mallow gets the jump on Macroom in terms of funding allocation. In terms of bypasses Macroom has been out there for a long time whereas Mallow had the misfortune to be linked to the now dead M20 PPP project. My humble opinion

It's a different bypass though. M20 is north-south while this one is east-west.

Macroom is more important than this scheme for many reasons IMO.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Now back on the table following the re-re-re-mothballing of the M20

I presume it'll be something similar to the N72 link road that was planned when the preferred route for the M20 was published in 2009.

364187.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

When the M20 is finally built will this bypass be incorporated/connected to the motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the last we heard in 2008, it was cancelled due to ridiculous land costs, due DIRECTLY to the county council zoning land
    The land in question was originally valued at €14.6m in 2005 but after Cork County Council re-zoned the land, it shot up in price to more than €50m by the end of 2007 after An Bord Pleanala had given the green light for a compulsory purchase order to go ahead, he said.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55317780
    and
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/836450m-cost-of-land-halted-road-project-1307962.html

the half of me is happy to see it, the other half is thinking it should be not built to signal to voters and politicans down in Mallow that they have to get their act together, and that rising house/ land prices is NOT a great thing, this being an example of one stroke too at a local level many getting its rightful come-uppance at national level.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I presume it'll be something similar to the N72 link road that was planned when the preferred route for the M20 was published in 2009.
    You can't build it that way unless you also build the motorway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Possible routes are described in this article.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/end-in-sight-for-buttevant-roadworks-406042.html

Feasability studies are to start on this 'before the end of the year'.

It's nice to see some initiative being taken here and this project being rushed. One year from being announced and we're at the 'planned feasability study' stage. **** sake.

• Advertisement

Confirmed by TII's Dominic Mullaney that a feasability study is ongoing as to the viability of this scheme. If it's decided it will go ahead, there is provision for it in the Capital plan, and will move to planning & land acquisition in 2017.

On the topic of the Mallow Northern Relief Road, the meeting heard that it is on the current Capital Investment Programme and it is awaiting a further study before a ‘rigorous appraisal’ of its feasibility, said Cllr O’Flynn.

“The northern relief road could go ahead without the M20, it could be a standalone project and then it could fit in with the M20. There is a great need for that road, it would have major benefits for the future economic development of Mallow, Fermoy and Mitchelstown,” he said.

https://avondhupress.ie/cork-representatives-meet-transport-minister-roads-issues/

Expect little or no movement on this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So just talking about it then. wonderful

Discussion on this scheme on C103 today, from 16 minutes in: https://soundcloud.com/cork103/cork-today-fri-6th-oct-2017

http://johnpauloshea.ie/mallow-traffic-congestion-end-northern-relief-road-moves-step-closer-fruition/

To no surprise, the Mallow relief road passed both feasibility studies it underwent in the past 2 years and a number of routes have been published.

Hopefully the route along the old railway line is selected. The one up by the hospital is quite circuitous.

I'd imagine this will be bundled in with the M20 scheme and both will be done together as originally planned back in the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

http://johnpauloshea.ie/mallow-traffic-congestion-end-northern-relief-road-moves-step-closer-fruition/

To no surprise, the Mallow relief road passed both feasibility studies it underwent in the past 2 years and a number of routes have been published.

Hopefully the route along the old railway line is selected. The one up by the hospital is quite circuitous.

I'd imagine this will be bundled in with the M20 scheme and both will be done together as originally planned back in the day

The old railway line is on the West side of Mallow isn’t it?

Is having both done at the same time, while sensible, even possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭cjpm

The old railway line is on the West side of Mallow isn’t it?

Is having both done at the same time, while sensible, even possible?

It runs around the north side of the town. The NRA were going to build a relief road along it except the councillors voted to zone it as residential to increase the compo for their developer buddies. Once the land acquisition costs were worked out the NRA cancelled the job.

Tom Stritch confirmed in the Corkman that pending funding, this will proceed to design in 2018. Preferred route by the council is along the old railway with it diverging to meet the N72/N73 near Olivers Cross. It will require a slight deviation from the raiilway route as part of the railway route is built on east of Spa Glen.

Tom Stritch confirmed in the Corkman that pending funding, this will proceed to design in 2018. Preferred route by the council is along the old railway with it diverging to meet the N72/N73 near Olivers Cross. It will require a slight deviation from the raiilway route as part of the railway route is built on east of Spa Glen.
    Article in question

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/corkman/news/council-hopeful-of-approval-for-mallow-relief-road-in-new-year-36425546.html

Latest from the council:
    N72 Mallow Northern Relief Road (4.0kms): An allocation of €300,000 is available in 2018.
    JACOBS has completed a Feasibility Report and is now completing a Project Appraisal Plan.
    Draft Tender Documents for the appointment of Consultants is complete. The appointment
    will enable preparation of document for Scheme Design, Compulsory Purchase Order and
    Environmental Impact Statement and submission of same to An Bord Pleanála.

• Advertisement

Cork County Council aiming to have consultants appointed to this by year end. A project appraisal plan was submitted to TII but they weren't satisfied with this so it is being redone. Once approved by TII a tender for consultants will be advertised. The council indicate that once consultants are appointed the project should be ready for An Bord Pleanala within 9 months

Quite a lot of misinformation in this article but if the part about the route is correct then it means a route has been selected. Which will make 2019 easier for design & EIS

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/its-an-insult-to-us--cork-councillors-angry-as-bypass-put-on-hold-again-899110.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭cjpm

I'd imagine the route to be used will be same as the one selected when the M20 was designed. The disused rail line is zoned as residential. It should be used as a green way, as it's too expensive to CPO for a road.

cjpm wrote: »
    I'd imagine the route to be used will be same as the one selected when the M20 was designed. The disused rail line is zoned as residential. It should be used as a green way, as it's too expensive to CPO for a road.
    The preference by the council is to use the railway line. It makes the most sense and would remove the most traffic from the town as it's the most direct route and is useful.

If it's zoned residential then it should be rezoned for the road. The outer route by the hospital is foolish

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/corkman/news/council-seeking-confirmation-that-mallow-relief-road-will-not-be-part-of-m20-project-37836633.html

No surprise here. 3.5 years later and we've had route options published and still no consultants appointed. Very casual attitude to this project for a badly needed one.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/senior-engineer-doubts-there-will-be-change-to-cork-limerick-route-918069.html

Cork County Council are now preparing an economic assessment to push for this road, after 2 separate feasibility studies deemed it viable

I mean this really is headbanging stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Limerick74

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/senior-engineer-doubts-there-will-be-change-to-cork-limerick-route-918069.html

Cork County Council are now preparing an economic assessment to push for this road, after 2 separate feasibility studies deemed it viable

I mean this really is headbanging stuff.

Economic Assessment = Business Case which is required for every project to progress to the next phase. Nothing unusual.

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Economic Assessment = Business Case which is required for every project to progress to the next phase. Nothing unusual.
    The way it's phrased led me to believe it was an independent economic assessment to try and get this prioritised.

The reason I have concern is this project has been ongoing for several years now and so far we've had 2 feasibility studies and route options published.

I know this was only thrown into the 2015 Capital Plan to soften the blow of leaving out the M20 and maybe as a bone for Sean Sherlock to throw at voters but there has been nothing done since that couldn't have been done in 6-12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

The way it's phrased led me to believe it was an independent economic assessment to try and get this prioritised.

This. Council reacting to pressure from councilors etc, need to be seen to be doing something.

• Advertisement

According to documents published by DPER today, this has a start date of 2025 and completion date of 2027. This means its effectively been abandoned as a standalone project and will be completed as part of the M20 project like the old plan.

Advertisement