Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N72 - Mallow Northern Relief Road [refined route options published]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Tender Documents for this scheme have been issued for Phases 1 to 4 - N72/N73 Mallow Northern Relief Road

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender Documents for this scheme have been issued for Phases 1 to 4 - N72/N73 Mallow Northern Relief Road
    FFS Phase 1 and 2 were done in 2017. Back to scratch again.

Thanks for update though.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Limerick74

Only an expanded Phase 0 has been completed including the Project Appraisal Plan. Phases 1 - 4 out for tender now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Only an expanded Phase 0 has been completed including the Project Appraisal Plan. Phases 1 - 4 out for tender now.
    Ok thank you.

The reason for my confusion was that feasibility study and route selection work have been ongoing since 2016 (as documented in this thread).

The route options are in this link here: http://johnpauloshea.ie/mallow-traffic-congestion-end-northern-relief-road-moves-step-closer-fruition/

I believe the preferred route by the council is the old railway line but we'll have to wait and see what the results of the various appraisals are.

Given how little movement has happened on this scheme, I was surprised they bothered appointing consultants and didn't just merge it with the M20 scheme like what happened with the old M20 scheme where the Mallow northern link was part of the M20 scheme itself.

EDIT: apologies, the route options above look more like a summary of previously examined routes.

Council aim to have route selected by end 2020 and to go to An Bord Pleanála in April 2022. Aim is to have construction underway within five years of now

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Limerick74

marno21 wrote: »

Slight correction: JB Barry Transportation, not Jacobs.

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Slight correction: JB Barry Transportation, not Jacobs.

Whoops.. the speed reading not up to scratch. Thanks for that

https://corkrdo.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/NROWebsite_N72N73-Mallow-RR_Study-Area_260620.pdf

Study area published. Keeps east of the N20 but extends quite a bit further east than Oliver's Cross. Would be nice if they took the opportunity to realign even a small stretch of the cat roads east of Mallow.

• Advertisement

Latest from Minister Hildegarde Naughton:
    The proposed N72-N73 Mallow relief road project is included among a number of major national road schemes that were identified in the national development plan for planning, design and construction. This scheme consists of a single or dual carriageway bypass of the town of Mallow. The scheme length would be of the order of 4.5 km to 7 km. The pre-appraisal plan for the Mallow relief road was approved by the economic unit of the Department. Following this, the procurement process for the appointment of technical advisors to progress the first four stages of TII’s project management guidelines was completed. Early planning, design and appraisal work for the project has commenced. Cork County Council and its advisors are currently assessing all route options available given the constraints.

The relief road project would provide numerous benefits. It would bypass Mallow, reducing congestion and improving the environment of the town. It would cater for strategic traffic. It would improve access to and from Mallow. It would bring economic improvements for the Munster region. It would provide cycle and walking facilities for non-motorised users.

The scheme is at an early stage of development and, therefore, it is not possible at this time to indicate a likely timeframe for construction of the project. The timeframe for delivery of any major or minor works or projects that require statutory approval, whether for environmental impact assessment or compulsory purchase orders or both, is between eight and 13 years. As this project is in the early stages of planning it is not yet possible to provide an accurate estimate of the total cost. The estimated cost cannot be finalised until the project reaches the business case stage of the process.
    As I have outlined, the project is at an early stage in this process. The programme for Government commits to bringing forward the planned view of the national development plan from 2022 and to use the review to set out an updated national development plan for the period to 2031. The review of the NDP will be aligned with the national planning framework and Project Ireland 2040. Work is under way within the Department to contribute to this planned review and the programme for Government also states that the process of reviewing the NDP and updating the national planning framework will not frustrate or delay any existing projects.

TII remains committed to progressing the N72-N73 Mallow relief road and, as previously stated, this is subject to the public spending code guidelines and the necessary statutory approvals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭cjpm

Route options published for public comments. Maybe someone else could upload the map.

https://www.corkrdo.ie/news/n72-n73-mallow-relief-road/

Public Consultation No. 1 – July 2020

The purpose of this public consultation is to inform the public of the initial potential options which have been developed to address the problems identified and the constraints identified to date. Public consultation forms an important part of advancing the design process and allows the involvement of the public in developing the Preferred Option.
    A Brochure is available which gives an update on the project, its current status and the next steps. A Questionnaire and Online Feedback Form is also available to provide feedback and further information to the project team.
    Public Consultation No.1 Brochure
    Public Consultation No.1 Questionnaire – To be returned by the 18th of August 2020
    Public Consultation No.1 Online Feedback Form
    The project is currently at Phase 2 (Option Selection) of the TII Project Management Guidelines. One of the first stages of the options selection includes an examination of an area, within which all possible solutions could be identified. This area is referred to as the “Study Area”, which has now been established and is depicted in the drawing below.

This route options set is a bit odd. The ones south of Mallow need to be discounted immediately. They make absolutely no sense; through a mountain range, would require a Blackwater crossing and are miles from the N72 west of the town.

I'd like to see the dark blue routing but continued along the N72 from where it meets the N72 to where the cyan route ends. Would upgrade a lot of the crap N72 also. The orange link road back down to west of Olivers Cross would help alleviate some traffic in the town but would require a mainline junction.

IMO the red and turquoise terminus on the N20 are too far north of the town. Unnecessarily so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Here's the route options - I've zoomed in as much as possible on the route area, if you want to see the original open the second attachment.

520857.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

On the South:
    It feels like only the blue/green route seems viable. The roads through Lavally would seem to be quite difficult to me because the relief there is pretty extreme, to say the least.

Can anyone explain why they decided to not go the way of the Clyda river? Is it because the M20 uses that route?

On the North:
    The dark blue, orange and pink routes all look very close to existing dwellings.
    Is this supposed to be a bypass or a distributor? I thought it was supposed to be a bypass.

I doubt very much that there will be a Blackwater crossing. Any the topography to the south would be a costlier build.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Fine plate of spaghetti there again, seems to be the norm thesedays.

North of the town will be done, as south will be too expensive. The M20 is the only road that'll do anything around the south of Mallow.

Sorry, I thought there was both a North and South road being done.
    Well in that case, the routes on the South make no sense at all to me either. As I say the relief there is way too challenging.

Of the North, I don't see how they'd get away with the dark blue, orange and pink routes.

Of the North, I don't see how they'd get away with the dark blue, orange and pink routes.

These routes shadow the disused rail line, which was always the preferred option for the council. However, the same council allowed housing development back as far as the line which is an inconsistent position to have if you want to build a road along there

I’d like to see the western terminus as south as possible (obviously remaining to the north of the town). Dragging traffic halfway to Newtwopothouse doesn’t really make sense as traffic has to enter the town anyway to head north.

If you wanted to completely bypass the town you’d also need to continue the route west of the N20. This would be much shorter than the eastern section.

Overall, lots of questions to be asked here

I'd have also said they should continue west of the N20/M20. I'm not 100% clear what this "relief road" is for. I'd have thought it was for East-West traffic to bypass the town. Not a "distributor".

There's housing developments right up to the old railway now and I wouldn't have said there's a desire for these to have access onto both the existing road and the new road, or they'd potentially become rat-runs.

Just with my "crayons" out:
    If it's a new "distributor road" I'd suggest the disused railway would make a good "green corridor", allow development on the other side of it, and then the distributor road beyond that.
    If it's a new "bypass road" then home owners in those estates won't be pleased. Again I suggest it would make sense to allow non-residential development on the other side of a green corridor and a bypass beyond that.

• Advertisement

I'd have also said they should continue west of the N20/M20. I'm not 100% clear what this "relief road" is for. I'd have thought it was for East-West traffic to bypass the town. Not a "distributor".

There's housing developments right up to the old railway now and I wouldn't have said there's a desire for these to have access onto both the existing road and the new road, or they'd potentially become rat-runs.

Just with my "crayons" out:
    If it's a new "distributor road" I'd suggest the disused railway would make a good "green corridor", allow development on the other side of it, and then the distributor road beyond that.
    If it's a new "bypass road" then home owners in those estates won't be pleased. Again I suggest it would make sense to allow non-residential development on the other side of a green corridor and a bypass beyond that.

This is the issue. A truck going from west of Mallow to Mitchelstown has to enter the town at the Annabella roundabout, head up the Limerick road for upto 3km, then another few km to the east. The docking points of the red, cyan and pink routes are outside the town yet you have to navigate the western end of the town and the N20 bypass (50km/h zone) to get through. It's not much of a bypass if traffic has to enter the town (50km/h zone) to get to the bypass a few km north of the town.

Connecting the N20 to the N72 west of Mallow would require 2/3km of new road. There are constraints there but it's only 2/3km, it wouldn't break the bank.

Gold route is the way to go folks!! If you are going to build it, build it right......

Proximity to the River Blackwater SAC may be an issue

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40019324.html

Refined route options published:

N72-N73-Mallow-Relief-Road-Shortlist-Options-768x543.png

Preferred route due Summer/Autumn 2021, submission to ABP in Summer/Autumn 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭alias no.9

In an ideal world, the routes would continue west past the N20 to rejoin the N72 around the R621 junction to take the flood prone and crapiest part of navigation road out of the N72 route in addition to keeping N20 and N72 traffic full segregated.

Debate now going on between councillors between two options:

- Build close to the town, shortening the length of the route, but inconveniencing homeowners located near the route which has been in the plans for at least 15 years

- Build out from the town, making the route longer and more circuitous, and less useful, but splitting farms in two and inconveniencing farmers in the process

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40230527.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25 corinthion

is there any plans to bring the road out this far in the future, it would make sense to bypass where it gets flooded

• Registered Users Posts: 25 corinthion

alias no.9 wrote: »
    In an ideal world, the routes would continue west past the N20 to rejoin the N72 around the R621 junction to take the flood prone and crapiest part of navigation road out of the N72 route in addition to keeping N20 and N72 traffic full segregated.

is there any plans to bring the road out this far in the future, it would make sense to bypass where it gets flooded

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Refined route options published:

N72-N73-Mallow-Relief-Road-Shortlist-Options-768x543.png

Preferred route due Summer/Autumn 2021, submission to ABP in Summer/Autumn 2022.

According to a number of local politicians on FB - Option C (purple) has been chosen.

Advertisement