Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Postgraduate Veterinary

• 30-06-2015 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi All,

So I've been back and forth about applying for the 5 year Postgraduate Veterinary course at UCD for years now. I do, however, have some reservations. If I sit, and am lucky enough to succeed at, the Gamsat next year, then get into the course starting September 2016, then I will be 34 by the time I finish. Is this too old to start over? Is there anyone on here who started the course in their late 20's or older? This is my main qualm that puts me off the course...but I do really want this, so much.

I'm also wondering about funding options. I was lucky enough to make it out of college last time with a masters and no debt.

Any and all advice is welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Antarctica

At 34 you'll still have 26 years of work before you reach 60 or over 30 years if you work a bit longer.

You might get good advice over on the Animals and Pet Issues area as probably a lot of Vets on that forum or even on the work and jobs forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240

• Registered Users Posts: 26 QCS123

Don't let that put you off! I'm currently doing veterinary and there are many others who went the postgrad route who are about the same age as you or even older. If it's what you really want to do it's worth it and you'll still have plenty of years work once you qualify. It's worth it to be happy in those years rather than doing something you're not too keen on.

With regards to funding I'm afraid I don't have any information as I'm undergrad but I'm sure there are options and it's worth contacting UCD or the vet college as I'm sure they must have some information about it.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Antarctica wrote: »

You might get good advice over on the Animals and Pet Issues area as probably a lot of Vets on that forum or even on the work and jobs forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240

I'm not sure many vets post in animal and pets actually, or maybe I just can't think of any. Greysides the mod in the farming forum is a vet though and could probably advise you.

Advertisement