Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build - just wired for CCTV

Options
  • 30-06-2015 5:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

In the middle of a new build and the electrician has just installed wires for CCTV cameras. The wires are about half way up the wall (2 storey) - the installer said it provides a much better picture as at roof level it's really looking down on top of people, etc.

Although I may not install the cameras for some time, I'm just concerned about how the cameras will look on the corners, half way up the walls. Does anyone know if this is the best positioning and worth the eyesore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

To a point the lower the cameras the better the view, too high up and all you get is tops of heads.
    What cables did he run for the cameras, it should be cat5/6. These days ip cameras are very small, some will fit in the palm of your hand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

BarneyMc wrote: »
    In the middle of a new build and the electrician has just installed wires for CCTV cameras. The wires are about half way up the wall (2 storey) - the installer said it provides a much better picture as at roof level it's really looking down on top of people, etc.

Although I may not install the cameras for some time, I'm just concerned about how the cameras will look on the corners, half way up the walls. Does anyone know if this is the best positioning and worth the eyesore?

I would agree with Jnealon with regard the height of the camera. In most cases for a over view of an area it's fine at a soffit height but in reality all you will see is the top of someone's head. From what you have being told this is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Generally, lower is better but you have to take into account the accessibility of the cameras to burglars and vandals.

If you want a wider view then the higher the better, for example, if you wanted to monitor a large car park or garden then a high camera would be more benifical but you won't be getting facial recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Thanks guys. I was panicing because the holes were drilled and I hadn't really given the go ahead! Anyway, I also forgot that cameras, these days can be small indeed - I was thinking 1970's BBC cameras! I've used CAT6 throughout (electrician was going to use CAT5).

Advertisement