Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall cover with climber

Options
  • 30-06-2015 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I am trying unsuccessfully to cover this whole back wall. The plaster is brutal on it. I have 3 honey suckle climbers planted at the side wall I have patience but I'm fed up at this stage it is v slow.
    I was thinking of taking them up and planting a fast vigorous climber or two to try cover the back. Russian wine I was thinking .. I want something that will flower in summer that's pretty and in particular that will "stick" to the plaster like ivy and cause damage in a few years. I would be grateful for any advice I am very anxious to get back wall covered and plant something as soon as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Hydrangea petiolaris. Do I read you right when you say you want to damage the plaster?
    There are few plants that will take off rapidly, most will need time to settle in, as will the hydrangea. It needs moist but not wet soil, will grow on any aspect and has white flowers. Russian vine will also grow quickly but unless you have plenty of space it can become s nuisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Honeysuckle can take about 4 years to establish and start flowering. My own was pathetic for the first 3 but has been brilliant in the subsequent 3. Don't get rid of it yet. Mine is growing along a wire fence and is great to walk by at night.

You will curse the day you plant russian vine...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I agree re vine ///looking forward to next yr so!!love smell of honeysuckle thks

Advertisement