Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU roaming deal (again)

Options
  • 30-06-2015 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't hold my breath, the phone companies will think of a 1000 excuses in relation to this. .

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/0630/711640-roaming-charges/

A deal to abolish mobile phone roaming charges in the European Union in 2017 has been struck in Brussels, officials said today. The agreement will scrap roaming charges imposed on EU citizens who use their mobile phones in other member states from June 15, 2017.
    But providers would still be allowed to apply a "fair use policy" to prevent "abusive" use of roaming, a statement from the European Council said.
    A first move towards "net neutrality" is also being introduced under which operators will be obliged to treat all traffic equally when providing Internet access services.
    Roaming fees are already set to fall from April next year, when caps of five cent per minute for calls, two cent for SMS's and five cent per megabyte of data will be imposed.
    The deal was reached between the Latvian presidency of the EU and the European Parliament after overnight talks and was described as "provisional".
    The agreement needs formal approval by the bloc's parliament and 28 governments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Well for 14,99 I get 1GB in Europe with Meteor, I'm happy with it :)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

As I read it, this effectively means roaming rates for many of us will go way up next April, unless one is using inclusive minutes/texts, as the pricing system is changing from the existing fixed maximum roaming rate to your normal home rate plus maximum roaming surcharge.

So, for example, if you're Vodafone PAYG and if you've got an active offer/add-on of so many any-network minutes, you'll pay 6c/min making a roaming call next summer using your minutes.

But if you don't have said add-on or you run out of minutes, you'll pay 41c/min making a roaming call, almost twice the current rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It doesn't mean sh!t.

Unless you or I are going to complain properly, this thread is unfortunately, not worth *anything*

Advertisement