Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To be a caveman or modern man

Options
  • 30-06-2015 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

So hands up lads. Who shaves their legs pre race??
    From the few articles I've seen it can save up to nearly 79 secs over 40km. That's nearly 3 mins over a middle distance race (this was based on very hairy legs).
    People's thoughts? If true that's a lot of time saved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

So hands up lads. Who shaves their legs pre race??
    From the few articles I've seen it can save up to nearly 79 secs over 40km. That's nearly 3 mins over a middle distance race (this was based on very hairy legs).
    People's thoughts? If true that's a lot of time saved.

Its not just about the racing.

If you have ape like leg hair massages are hugely painful regardless of how much lube is used. That for me is the main reason to shave down.

Also clearing road rash is easier with no leg hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom__jnr2

Be honest lads...shaved legs look better. Strenge times but is is part of our sport to look good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

tunney wrote: »
    Its not just about the racing.

If you have ape like leg hair massages are hugely painful regardless of how much lube is used. That for me is the main reason to shave down.

Also clearing road rash is easier with no leg hair.

True Tunney. The articles did make reference to these points however i was just looking at it from a time saving perspective. Figure if i crash i'm going to be sore either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I wonder who has their A race this weekend?? :pac:

I have ape like hairy legs and have never shaved them. The thoughts of the maintenance turns me off.

Some lads do their torso also - must have plenty of time on their hands.

pgibbo wrote: »
    I wonder who has their A race this weekend?? :pac:

I have ape like hairy legs and have never shaved them. The thoughts of the maintenance turns me off.

Some lads do their torso also - must have plenty of time on their hands.

*cough* manscaping, *looks at AKW*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Rodney, with the amount of hair on your legs I reckon you'd save about 5min on a Sprint if you shaved them.

Only started shaving them this season. The first one takes the longest. Herself is trying to get me to wax :eek:

BTH wrote: »
    Rodney, with the amount of hair on your legs I reckon you'd save about 5min on a Sprint if you shaved them.

Only started shaving them this season. The first one takes the longest. Herself is trying to get me to wax :eek:

Can't argue with that..def at the top level of caveman.

"The first one takes the longest" - i better take some time off work so:P

Waxing....no thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

started shaving the legs this season. After having to have the wounds cleaned in hospital this weekend I'm glad I did. Legs got a wipe and bandaged. Arms had a way worse time trying to get cleaned up. Getting hairs and grit out of the wounds. Great fun having needles pushed in from side to force saline out of the wound from behind.

Does feel odd first time you shave them, but now it feels stranger when the hair grows back a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

The saved time doesn't concern me at all. What I find the greatest benefit is the heat as I don't sweat as much when I shave and feel more comfortable when training and racing. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

79 sec over 40k, is it really that much? at what average speed? Im average 33kph for a 20k sprint, will I really save 40sec? It is like free time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZnrE17Jg3I

That is the break down of it in the wind tunnel. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good lord, have I stepped into a hen party? :confused:;)

In my modest opinion, waxing lasts longer, but if the "feel" of your skin is important from a race perspective (physically and mentally), then shaving is superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Tis rare I post here in the ladies section but all I can say is wtf :eek:

BTH wrote: »

I'd advise getting waxed too. After that you can say "wtf are you talking about woman, it doesn't hurt at all." (it doesn't)

MojoMaker wrote:
    Tis rare I post here in the ladies section but all I can say is wtf

Embrace the change don't fight it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Good lord, have I stepped into a hen party? :confused:;)

In my modest opinion, waxing lasts longer, but if the "feel" of your skin is important from a race perspective (physically and mentally), then shaving is superior.

When you've knobbly knees like I have its very difficult to get it right with the razor.

When I started back running after injury I realised I wasn't shaving up far enough #shortshorts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Shave, for the simple reason when you walk upstairs you can look at the definition in your calves, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

BennyMul wrote: »
    Shave, for the simple reason when you walk upstairs you can look at the definition in your calves, :D

I would imagine that for some, that is a reason not to shave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Tom__jnr2 wrote: »
    Be honest lads...shaved legs look better. Strenge times but is is part of our sport to look good :)

that's such a fred comment ;-)

Advertisement