Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple motion camera?

Options
  • 30-06-2015 12:13pm

My brother is tormented with neighbours' kids damaging his garden when he's not at home. Is there any kind of simple, and hopefully cheap, way of recording what happens? They know he's not home when the car is not there. Also he doesn't have internet access.

I can't seem to find anything that doesn't require the web. I feel I'm ignoring the obvious here....

I would be grateful for any help although I have a feeling I'm not going to get a reply due to the possible silliness of my request! :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

My brother is tormented with neighbours' kids damaging his garden when he's not at home. Is there any kind of simple, and hopefully cheap, way of recording what happens? They know he's not home when the car is not there. Also he doesn't have internet access.

I can't seem to find anything that doesn't require the web. I feel I'm ignoring the obvious here....

I would be grateful for any help although I have a feeling I'm not going to get a reply due to the possible silliness of my request! :-)

Other than installing a CCTV system he could also use a Guard Cam.

If there is any damage done he would be able to check it on the sd card.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Does he have a computer or laptop? or could he borrow one?

I use software called iSpyConnect which can access the inbuilt webcam and network/ip cameras. The motion detection is set up on the software itself and it records locally on the PC for free.

You can subscribe for around 8 aussie dollars per month for remote access, but obviously need internet.

tedimc wrote: »
    Does he have a computer or laptop? or could he borrow one?

I use software called iSpyConnect which can access the inbuilt webcam and network/ip cameras. The motion detection is set up on the software itself and it records locally on the PC for free.

You can subscribe for around 8 aussie dollars per month for remote access, but obviously need internet.

If you just want to use one camera I would use this, free too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 truhlik_fredy

What are the legalities involved? I can make my own system, but I want to monitor public place around the house (i will not monitor somebody else private place, and even if i would i got permission from neighborhood, because vandalism is here annoying to everybody).

I read some uk related or EU related articles and I don't know what to think. If I will self install, what needs to be done to be grand on law side. Do I need get certified equipment and installer when I do it inside my house for myself? The data stored will not be public accessible. Do I need put sticker that there is cctv operating?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Just install a 'dummy' camera and position it in an obvious place, might do the trick.

• Advertisement

They damaged lot of stuff, and i would like to have proof so his parents couldn't not reject my claims. I didn't asked about dummy camera, i asked about legality of real ones. In the threads they monitor other private properties, people buying cams from aldi, putting them on public space poles and still i get 2 different answers every time, when somebody said it's grand then i found somebody who said you can't. Reading the law for me is tricky, because I understand the words, but lost what the whole sentence means. So in 2015 i have good standing with neighbors, i don't want to record their places, i want to record few meters in front of my house. and few meters around parking place, because they vandalize cars as well. And dummy camera will work maybe for few days but i'm here for many years and this has to stop properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Go to your local Garda station and speak to the crime prevention officer and see what they advise. Boards is not the place to seek legal advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

if it's pointing at your property, and only your property, I think it's okay, but if it can show footage outside your property it probably is not allowed.

Also, as per what degsie has said, we don't give "legal advice" here.

Thanks, i will do that.

What are the legalities involved?

The best place to ask that question would be here.
    They are very helpful if you have any questions.

• Advertisement

Thanks, i was browsing their website, wasn't thinking to email them. Good to know they are helpful, i will email them. Thanks

Thanks, i was browsing their website, wasn't thinking to email them. Good to know they are helpful, i will email them. Thanks

I find a phone call is the easiest option.

Advertisement