Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utility Provider charging for unpaid Direct Debit

Options
  • 30-06-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Got an e-mail from Airtricity yesterday to say that my latest Direct Debit was returned unpaid. It was because I hadn't updated them with my new bank account details.

Called them up today, made full payment of the balance, and updated Direct Debit details. All good ... except they're charging me €7 for the returned Direct Debit. I asked if it could be waived seeing as it was a first offence - operator was very apologetic, but said they can't, even thought she could see I had impeccable credit history with them since opening my account 15 months ago.

I'm going to write to them, see how I get on. But it was the first time I've ever come across a utility provider doing this, and being so rigid on first offences. So, just curious ... are other Energy Providers charging for unpaid Direct Debit's ? And how much do they generally charge ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Airtricity will have been charged by their own bank for the returned direct debit so you are being unreasonable in not expecting them to pass on the charge plus an administration fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're wasting 70c for the stamp + the cost of the paper, envelope and your time looking for the fee back. €7 is not hugely more if any than the cost of the bounced DD to them and the admin time.

Be glad it wasn't €20+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Only €7? My bank charges me €12.50 if a customer's dd has failed.

Its a bank charge that's levied by the bank onto airtricity and they are just recovering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I know Electric Ireland charge €10 for a missed DD and of course your own bank will charge you.

UPC charged me €50 when I recalled a DD which over lapped a manual payment I made.

If you are complaining, have a reason other than, first offence.

Is the charge detailed on their term and conditions?

Advertisement