Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive Dribbling?

Options
  • 30-06-2015 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

So my lil man (15mnths) has always been a major dribbler but now im thinking its a bit excessive. I mean i know babies dribble but at 15 mnths im still changing bibs constantly. I use funky giraffe bibs so they dont soak through but they would actually soak of the edges. .
    When he is teething we can go through up to 12 bibs a day. Hes only up 10 waking hours if even .
    He cant be always teething. I can tell when he is teething he is sticking hands in his mouth and a bit grumpy . But on regular non teething days/weeks im still changing bibs all day. I would rarely get an hour out of one.
    We are in to the doctors tomorrow and i will mention again. Any other time ive mentioned it has been just passed off as teething. But looking at others his age some dont need bibs and some can get hours out of one.
    Luckily he doesnt seem to be getting any irritation. Any time i see something flaring up i pop moogoo on it. but his mouth is constantly wet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't think it's anything to do with teething myself, it's more mouth, tongue and lip control. Learning how to swallow saliva.

I remember my first child had all her teeth *before* she started dribbling. And it went on for yonks, she was still in bibs til she was 2.

Youngest stopped dribbling around 8 months old, and we haven't used a bib since. I remember someone gave us a loads of bibs for her at christmas, and I was thinking.. when the heck am I going to use these? They are still in the packet. But they have children slightly older, and they do still dribble.

So, I don't think there's anything that can be done or fixed. It's just a thing they all learn to do at different ages, like walking or talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My eldest was still in bibs yp to about 2 also but wouldnt have dribbled this much. Id prob change the bib maybe twice a day. I mean its very excessive.
    When he bends down to pick up a toy a pool of saliva pours out. If you pick him up he could dribble all over younin 2 seconds.
    His speach is fine has a nice few words. His understanding is great. Hes walking no prob its just the dribbling.
    Some mornings he wakes up and his little pillow is soaked and his face is drowned.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

My friends child had something similar.
    Her child's mouth tended to hang open as a result the saliva used to just pour
    out. Her Phn got her to do some exercises with the child . She would get her to put a lollypop stick in the child's mouth and get her to clench her teeth as a result the child would have to close her mouth. She would have to do this a few minutes everyday. Eventually she learned how to close her mouth. She was nearly three though don't know if a 15 month old would comply. Good luck though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My niece and nephew are the same - a stream of drool - my sister would be changing bibs constantly whereas mine only need bibs to keep their clothes clean!

Each child is so different

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

I saw something on one of the medical TV shows about a child (4 year old) that dribbled excessively and it turned out they were tongue tied. Once they got it seen too and the child learned how to use their tongue without the tie the dribbling stopped. Might be worth checking.

• Advertisement

So had him in the doc and she checked throat and said all was ok that some kids just dribble alot.
    I dunno though. Its hard to describe how bad he is. We were at gymborrr this morning and in an hour i had to change bib 3 times. Also used loads of tissues wiping the floor so no kids would slip. hoping it eases soon. Next time i bring him ill mention the tongue tie and see what they think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

My friends daughter had this. She was told to give her more crunchy finger food, carrot sticks, etc, as she tended to give her only soft bread, yoghurt, berries, and the muscles around her jaw weren't developed enough to control and hold her mouth closed and swallow the saliva.

Im getting worried. It cant be normal. He does eat crunchy foods . When i first started weaning though he did take longer to move to lunpier food. My daughter was quicker but i just took it easy with him as he would retch and gag and get distressed and not eat.

This evening he went to bed at 7.15 he didnt settle and was nooching about and making noise so checked on him at 8 and his pillow was soaked. Changed it and went quiet then 8.30 more noise . Again pillow soaked and needed changing again. This is not normal. He settled then thankfully. ok i know he is teething so its going to be worse but this is unbelievable. I ran out of bibs today so put on a bib wash. I had 18 bibs to try and wash and dry asap . He had 4 on stand by. And just like i though we wouldnt get through the rest of the day so he had to go bib less and tops were soaked in 2 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Suucee, I know you didn't breastfeed, so a tongue tie or lip tie might not have been picked up. Do you know how to check for that? There are youtube videos on it, or you can ask a dentist, GP or PHN. (Not all of them can spot it though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Succee it sounds like you're quite worried. It'll but your mind at ease of you go straight to your phn.

• Advertisement

Doctors keep saying its normal but ive never seen or heard of any kods that dribble this much. Ive a gp appoinyment next week so i will ask her (different gp) to have a look.
    Funnily someone mentioned tongue tie to me today.
    Will check some videos on how to check.
    And if no joy i will get on to PHN.
    Thanks for tips guys. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Hey Suucee,
    My now 20 month old started to drool loads about 6-8 weeks ago. Everyone said it was her teeth. It hasn't really lessened. The phn called a few days ago when we brought our second home from the hospital. I mentioned the drooling in passing to her. She said that she'd talk to a colleague in Speech and language and get back to me. She has a great vocabulary and decent understanding so I'm not hugely worried about that aspect of it. She rang this evening and said SLT would like to see her about it. She's been referred to them but the wait is 3-4 months. Hopefully it's just a phase which will have resolved itself by the time the appointment comes around.

Thanks rosey. Thing with L its always been this bad. I thought it would ease off. We noticed he never closes his mouth and doesnt seem to breath through his nose . We had him with again for tonsilitis and chest infection and i mentioned it again. It was our ususal doctor who i have mentioned it to a few times . She is refferibg him to ENT. Its a bit of a wait too but at least we wil be on the list. 3yr old patiently waiting ENT also. Half wondering if i got one appointment would i get away with bringing both kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The waiting lists in the public system are crazy. Even if you dont have health insurance its worth paying the 120 or so to see the consultant privately. He can then refer you back to his clinic in the public hospital

Advertisement