Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lump on my shihtzu's paw

• 30-06-2015 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi All,

My poor baby has a lump kind of in between her toes, I noticed it on Sunday night and brought her straight to the vet yesterday. I was sure it was a bite or maybe a splinter or something, but the vet doesnt think so and she took a biopsy yesterday :(

I am in BITS here in work today, like a fool I decided to look at what it could be on Dr Google and now I am totally freaked that it is god forbid a tumour. It doesnt seem to be causing her any pain, and her leg isnt swollen or anything but I literally keep breaking into silent sobs at my desk thinking the worst. Bloody cannot wait to get home today to see her. I wont have the results until Thursday or Friday, so I was really hoping that someone here might have had a similar issue that turned out to be something simple.

She is almost 4 yrs old, apart from the lump she is in perfect health and she is the light of my life. Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping it will help to vent, the fcuks that I work with are giving me the whole 'it's just a dog' vibe, so they are no use at all. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

So sorry you're upset, poor chanelfreak and your wee doggie! Don't panic, all could be fine. I'm sure all the lovely posters on this forum are rooting for you and your pet, I know I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Hiya, Sorry, I haven't had the same experience, but just wanted to wish you well. I'm sorry your colleagues are so unsympathetic. Fingers and paws crossed here that its nothing major.

Please let us know what the results are when they come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Bless your heart, the best thing that happened is that you found it! Keep us up to date on how your little munchkin is doing.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

Thank you all so much, I really hope and pray it is nothing :( The vet should have the results either Thursday afternoon or Friday morning so I will let you guys know what came back. I am just worried cos it doesnt seem to be paining her, and I really dont know whether that is a good sign or not - I'm a mess today! Thanks again guys xxx

Not a bother, I have no pet currently so I get my pet fix from this forum, it's lovely hearing how everyone is getting on with their cat/dog/whatever. I hope all will be well for your dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

It could be anything! I wouldn't stress too much about it until you hear back from your vet.

Hugo, our 4 year old had a lump between two toes (interdigital cyst) a few years back. Freaked me right out, at the time. Almost like a little tiny head of cauliflower in appearance. Angry looking.

Some home treatment, regular cleaning and vitamin E applied daily and it was gone in a fortnight.

I hope, like his, it's nothing sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

So sorry to read about your dog not being well.

Before anything else however, don't forget that you rarely enter symptoms in google without coming out with the belief that you might have a terminal disease ;) . What is more, even if it was a cancerous tumour, this doesn't mean in anyway a death sentence for your dog.

That said, I remember how worried I was few weeks ago when my dog was in pain (which luckily turned out to be nothing) and can only empathize. It is awful to feel unable to help a being that is so important to us and so dependent on us.

I really hope that you will have some good news on Thursday. Please keep us informed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

The important thing is that you got your dog to the vet, and a biopsy was done, so you will know that you did the most important thing - find out if its an issue.

My dog had a lump on his toe on his front leg. Horrible to find - squashy and didnt seem to cause any pain/issue with him. Turned out to be a fatty cyst, and as long as it didnt cause him any problem the vet wasnt worried about it. He'd check it every time we went to the vet for meds/checkup etc. It eventually dissapeared.

Its hard when you love your pet so much, and other people dont understand. Dont apologise for being a dog lover - the ones who cant empathise dont have a clue what they're missing out on.

Let us know the results - keeping everything crossed for you

Hi guys, so I rang the vet this morning for the results and the vet said that they were inconclusive, as there was too much inflammation at the site.
    She said that she will wait until Phoebe is finished her Metacam (which will be Friday) and then she will see what way the lump is next week, and if it has not gone down she will assess whether to take another biopsy then.

I am sick over all of this, I am so afraid it is going to be bad news :( She seems to be in good enough form, but a bit more lethargic than usual. Im hoping that is just due to the heat though (its 35+ here today!) but I really do not know how I am going to wait another week to hear what is wrong :'(

Thanks for listening to me guys xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

god love you, its torture having to wait for test results 8-( Console yourself with the fact that dogs OFTEN have lumps and bumps that appear/dissapear/turn out to be fatty cysts/not sinister. Hopefully your little dog will be absolutely fine; Ive had a few scares with one of ours & my daughters horse, with lumps that had us terrified, but always turned out to be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

My dog had a lump on her paw as well.Like you,I googled lumps on dogs paw pads and I was worried sick in case it was a tumour.
    When I brought her to the Vet,he took one look and said it would have to be removed.
    She had surgery,and thankfully it was a corn on her paw pad and not a tumour.
    So hopefully Its nothing serious on your dogs paw ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

So sorry about the fur baby. Shih Tzu are notorious for sebaceous cysts. It might very well be that.

My boy had a HUGE one on his back. It burst once, then filled up again and burst last week :eek:. It wasn't good, but I got all the rubbish out, bathed it and put a little Sudocrem on it until it went away.

My friend at home also has a Shih Tzu. He just had some lumps checked out which turned out to be sebaceous cysts. I hope the same thing happens for you.

Chin up, and try not to worry. Phoebe will be fineQ

AbajaninCork, I was hoping you would come to this thread because I remembered you have a shihtzu too :)

The good news is that Phoebs seems much better today - the lump has gone down and she is back to her usual self. The heat over here is killing the poor little chicken though (lads, it was 38 degrees yesterday!) so I have all the animals inside where its cool and I gave Phoebe my chillo, which she is defending from the others haha.

My friend is a vet over here and she took a look at the results and said she thinks it is nothing to worry about, she said generally sinister things show up quite obviously so please God, its just a cyst. I'll come back and let ye know what happens though.

Thanks a million to you all for commenting and helping calm me down, you are all fabulous xx

I know that I had nothing to contribute but good wishes to you both, but I was certain that more knowledgeable boardsies than myself would be able to post about their experiences and be of help. Fingers crossed anyhow for you in my house! ♡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Any news on your little doggy op?

Hey anna080, thanks for asking for her :) I havent updated because nothing has changed really - the lump is still there, but it has definitely gotten smaller and its not as red/angry looking as it was. The Flump is in great form and my hubs brought the two of them to the groomers on Sat, where the groomer told him that she had seen a lot of funny skin things lately because of this effing heatwave.

My friend is a vet and she said it was nothing at all to worry about. Phoebs finishes her antibiotics today, so please God it will go away by itself and she'll be grand. Thanks again for asking.

Advertisement