Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review a potential build.

Options
  • 30-06-2015 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi everyone. So I have been wanting to build a PC for a while. It would be one for gaming, high settings on new games ideally, and I have put together a potential build. Since I've never done a build before I would love to hear some thoughts on it. Anywhere to shave a few Euros or improve without much extra cost would be great. Also whether or not all the bits are compatible.

I used geizhals and hardwareeversand to get these parts and prices with the PSU coming from Amazon that I found on Part picker.

CPU - Intel Core i5-4460 = €176.00
    GPU - MSI R9 280X GAMING = €226.74
    Memory - 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz = €51.91
    Storage
    1-WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's = €49.98
    2- Samsung SSD 850 EVO SATA 6Gb/s 250 GB = €107.89
    Motherboard - ASUS H97-PLUS = €89.72
    PSU -EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply = €56.61 (Amazon)
    Monitor - ASUS VX228H = €131.73
    Case - NZXT Source 340 - mid tower - ATX = €74.38
    OS - Windows 8.1 = €25.00
    + Some Shipping
    Total = Roughly €1020

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Looks like a pretty solid build. Only way I can really see cost coming down is with a cheaper case but it is the part you're going to see the most of and really is a personal preference. Everything else is bang on for what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 The Cheesepoo

Thanks. Was looking around for cases but there were quite a few and Im not sure exactly what I need in one so went with this one as I read good things about it. Forgot to also add in a cheap keyboard and mouse combo and when I went to edit it in I created a second thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Thanks. Was looking around for cases but there were quite a few and Im not sure exactly what I need in one so went with this one as I read good things about it. Forgot to also add in a cheap keyboard and mouse combo and when I went to edit it in I created a second thread.

There is alot to choose from. Main things to look at are space for your components. Adequate cooling options and obviously that you like the look of it.

For keyboard and mouse for gaming cheap is not the best way to go. You'll want decent quality at least for the keyboard. A fairly cheap mouse may do depending on the games you plan to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Personally I would get an R9 290 on that budget. Drop to a 120GB SSD if you have to sacrifice something.

Superflower 550w PSU is €50 on HWV also, don't bother buying separately from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Fairly solid build. Antec One case is €40 if you wanted to save a little, to make room for the 290 as Terror suggested.

Crucial BX100 250gb SSD is €85 to knock another €20 off

• Advertisement

Personally I would get an R9 290 on that budget. Drop to a 120GB SSD if you have to sacrifice something.

Superflower 550w PSU is €50 on HWV also, don't bother buying separately from Amazon.

Will look into the 290. Also will go for that PSU. Thank yo very much.

It's worth going for, its a lot faster than the 280x and will play pretty much every game at ultra.

Played around with it for a bit and got this. What do yous think?

CPU - Intel Core i5-4460 = €176.00
    GPU - MSI R9 290 Gaming 4GB (Twin Frozr) = €304.21
    Memory - 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz = €51.91
    Storage
    1-WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's = €49.98
    2- Samsung SSD 850 EVO SATA 6Gb/s 120 GB = €63.49
    Motherboard - ASUS H97-PLUS = €89.72
    PSU - Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W = €50.99
    Monitor - ASUS VX228H = €131.73
    Case - Antec One, ATX, = €51.89
    Gaming keyboard +Mouse Combo = €35.00
    OS - Windows 8.1 = €25.00
    + Some Shipping
    Total = Roughly €1070

Im ok with the basic mouse + keyboard for now. Coming from an xbox I'm happy enough to still play with the controller, and the mouse in the deal doesn't seem too bad. I'll upgrade that in the future if necessary.

Doing a quick search though, it seems that some people don't think this case can hold the graphics card. Would this be true? and if so any recommendations on similarly priced alternatives?

With regards the keyboard and mouse, I would advise that rather than get a medicore set, instead get a good mouse, and cheap out on the keyboard.

A cheap keyboard isn't going to hold you back in games but a cheap mouse will be a pain.

Card is 1cm too long. Typical.

• Advertisement

Have a look at BitFenix Neos or Comrade or Corsair 100D

Have a look at BitFenix Neos or Comrade or Corsair 100D

Two ones I looked at there , a comrade and neos, both would fit it. Would there be any major advantages to spending extra for the shinobi versions would you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Spare the 20-30 quid and get the NZXT case. You won't regret it for the looks and the super easy cable management

So you're Bunto :pac: That looks unreal Vlad!

They're fairly similar afaik Cheese

vlad2009 wrote: »
    Spare the 20-30 quid and get the NZXT case. You won't regret it for the looks and the super easy cable management

Gonna keep looking around but I think I will go with it. That picture looks fantastic!

Thanks everyone btw for the inputs. Has been very helpful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I am Bunto indeed. Thanks! It looks a lot better in person, I plan on getting some better pics of the whole setup soon once I get a lend of a semi decent camera. iPhone photos this size don't really cut it.

Advertisement