Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

port forwarding is buggy on eircom F1000 modem

Options
  • 30-06-2015 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to get port forwarding and port translation working on the eircom f1000 modem for quite some time.

Some port forwarders work OK, such as the built in applications like rdp. however custom port forwarding doesn't work at all. 

Now please don't get me wrong, I do know how to setup port forwarding, I am an IT professional and I have been setting up port forwarding on numerous routers for years.

I don't need help on how to setup port forwarding, however I have come to the conclusion that port forwarding does not actually work correctly on this router. 

The fault is not in the configuration but in the router itself. 

I have seen posts on these very forums on how to unlock the router and update the firmware to the latest [font=Arial, sans-serif, tinymce-small]ZyXel firmware [/font]

In order to fix the bugs with the current firmware on the router.

However I find this really unacceptable. Why are eircom providing a router that prohibits some basic functionality as port forwarding and why have they not updated the firmware to provide fixes for this?

How can I get this router fixed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Terrlock wrote: »
    I have been trying to get port forwarding and port translation working on the eircom f1000 modem for quite some time.

Some port forwarders work OK, such as the built in applications like rdp. however custom port forwarding doesn't work at all. 

Now please don't get me wrong, I do know how to setup port forwarding, I am an IT professional and I have been setting up port forwarding on numerous routers for years.

I don't need help on how to setup port forwarding, however I have come to the conclusion that port forwarding does not actually work correctly on this router. 

I have seen posts on these very forums on how to unlock the router and update the firmware to the latest [font=Arial, sans-serif, tinymce-small]ZyXel firmware [/font]

However I find this really unacceptable. Why are eircom providing a router that prohibits some basic functionality as port forwarding and why have they not updated the firmware to provide fixes for this?

Hi Terrlock

Sorry to hear of the difficulties you're facing with this,

Unfortunately eircom do not support port forwarding as the modem is not provided in the consideration of port forwarding. I understand your feelings on this however there is no active campaign to block port forwarding - it's just something eircom do not provide but there is nothing stopping you from exploring this at your own discretion.

Here's a link to the F1000 user guide: https://business.eircom.net/media/modem_user_guide.pdf

There are a number of threads on boards.ie that could help you explore a t your own discretion - for example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057302483

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Hi Terrlock

Unfortunately eircom do not support port forwarding as the modem is not provided in the consideration of port forwarding. I understand your feelings on this however there is no active campaign to block port forwarding - it's just something eircom do not provide but there is nothing stopping you from exploring this at your own discretion.

Here's a link to the F1000 user guide: https://business.eircom.net/media/modem_user_guide.pdf

There are a number of threads on boards.ie that could help you explore a t your own discretion - for example: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057302483

Thanks
    Al
    why provide a modem with port forwarding as a feature if it doesn't actually work?

The manufacturer of the modem have documented fixes for this.

Why have eircom not implemented the manufacturers fixes to this modem?

Why are customer forced to resort to hacking the modem in order to get it fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Terrlock

Thanks
    Al
    why provide a modem with port forwarding as a feature if it doesn't actually work?

The manufacturer of the modem have documented fixes for this.

Why have eircom not implemented the manufacturers fixes to this modem?

Why are customer forced to resort to hacking the modem in order to get it fixed.
    HI Terrlock

I advised that port forwarding is not supported by eircom and the modem is not provided in consideration of port forwarding - not may Internet service providers do to be honest. The most clarification I can offer you in relation to your question on 'why this is the case' is that port forwarding conflicts with eircoms recommended settings - beyond this I will be unable to offer you the reasoning for eircoms internal operational decisions.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement