Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back squat alternatives

• 30-06-2015 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Around 6 months ago I strained my hip flexor forcing me to give up squats for a while, I went back squatting too early twice and re-injured myself. When I squat in any other position other than the back squat my hip doesn't give me any issues. I wanted to move to front squats but I have trouble with my wrist flexibility due to a ganglion cyst http://i.imgur.com/BgT8ues.jpg :(

So my question is, are there any other squat variations or alternatives that will give me a close enough compound workout?

Ps I already do deadlifts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Waitr until the hip flexor injury has cleared up fully and back squat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Waitr until the hip flexor injury has cleared up fully and back squat?

It's taking too long :( My leg strength is melting away. Deadlifts are so taxing they just kill my entire workout.

You could always try using straps to front squat and work on stretching lats and triceps to see if you reduce the wrist issue to a point where it doesn't prevent you doing them.

But if the hip flexor issue keeps arising then consider a physio.

And there's a lot to be said for taking the short term hit for the long term benefit and letting the hip flexor heal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

My hip flexor was giving me troubles , I found that low bar squatting is much more comfortable and doesn't pressure my hip in the same way. Could give that a try and see how it feels. Zombie front squats or using straps for front squats either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

How about zercher squat:

zer-squat-a-male.jpg

I've done them before and found them to be quite stable

• Advertisement

You could always try using straps to front squat and work on stretching lats and triceps to see if you reduce the wrist issue to a point where it doesn't prevent you doing them.

But if the hip flexor issue keeps arising then consider a physio.

And there's a lot to be said for taking the short term hit for the long term benefit and letting the hip flexor heal

Thanks, I actually haven't considered using straps - will definitely look into it.

Yeah I've been to two physios, essentially the same advice, plenty of stretches, lots of rest - Basically when the pain went I returned squatting, but just because the pain subsided did not mean it healed, really sucks.

papu wrote: »
    My hip flexor was giving me troubles , I found that low bar squatting is much more comfortable and doesn't pressure my hip in the same way. Could give that a try and see how it feels. Zombie front squats or using straps for front squats either.

Low bar squat certainly had less stress on my hip, but was still enough to give me concern. I think I'll proceed to this before the high squat in a couple months. Cheers.

Sundy wrote: »
    How about zercher squat:

zer-squat-a-male.jpg

I've done them before and found them to be quite stable

Never seen this before :eek: I'll it check out online and give it a bash.

Cross-arm front squat either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Split squat with db is also an option. Takes a little longer but can be good. I use them isntead of back squats because my back falls to sh1t when I do.back squats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 LivingDaDream

+1 for DB split squats. I had been having problems with really tight painful hip flexors for months so bit the bullet dropped the back squats and doing 3 week cycles of split squats, lunges (front foot elevated) along with plenty of stretching and then after 6 weeks progressing to front squats. I'm five weeks in and have seen a huge improvement in hip flexors, virtually no pain whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Cross-arm front squat either.
    I've always thought that there's something inherently silly looking about this movement, like your hands have been possessed and are trying to strangle you, or you caught a barbell that was thrown at you midway through doing the Macarena.

But it requires zero flexibility and seems to work fine. In fact, I think the biggest front squat I've seen was done cross-armed.

I've always thought that there's something inherently silly looking about this movement, like your hands have been possessed and are trying to strangle you, or you caught a barbell that was thrown at you midway through doing the Macarena.

But it requires zero flexibility and seems to work fine. In fact, I think the biggest front squat I've seen was done cross-armed.

When I started doing front squats I never thought to address flexibility in lats or triceps as a limiting factor so it was how I did them.

Felt awkward when I went back to them.

And Dan Green does 'em cross armed so they work for people who can lift very heavy a'ight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Your arms in the front squat (and high bar back squat) should only be needed to keep the bar in place.

Low bar is a bit different.

Advertisement