Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 8.4

• 30-06-2015 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Any fixes or changes - aside from Music, of course - anyone's noticed so far?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

Minor incident on my iPad Air 2 when I updated to iOS 8.4 last night - it stuck in portrait mode. A restart sorted it out, but an OS update doing that is a first for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Been a bit more sluggish on my iPhone 5 than 8.3. I've done a restore as well so looks like I'm stuck with it. Nothing major, but definitely a sign the phone is knocking on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Haven't noticed any difference in my iPhone 6 tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Haven't noticed it on the iPhone 6. but iOS 9 is around the corner that should give a good boost to your iPhone 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Not going to bother with it on my 5S

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No difference on my 5. All that was really updated was the Music app so performance shouldn't have been affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Why? just because the release notes say it's just apple music and some iBooks stuff, there's a ton of security fixes in place. Apple rarely mention these in release notes due to it giving attackers a clue to what they've fixed and not fixed.

there's no excuse to not updating your phone especially a 5S, unless you're going to make a switch to Android and want to get used to getting no updates :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

I found 8.4 excellent so far.
    iPhone 6+ safari much faster & no reloading page errors.
    iPhone 5c Safari finally working again & phone much faster overall
    iPad 3 running faster & smoother then before too

Battery life seems to be the same as before on all 3.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

8.4 (and OS X 10.10.4) drops the discoveryd system service which was responsible for much of the wifi and handoff issues people were having. It's reverted back to the trusty old open source mDNSresponder service.

I've found Airdrop between iOS an OS X more reliable so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Stuck it on mine, no issues at all. Music is alright, need to give it a serious play with though before deciding

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

5uspect wrote: »
    8.4 (and OS X 10.10.4) drops the discoveryd system service which was responsible for much of the wifi and handoff issues people were having. It's reverted back to the trusty old open source mDNSresponder service.

I've found Airdrop between iOS an OS X more reliable so far.

Afaik discoveryd is still in iOS 8.4. It’s the iOS 9 betas that it has been removed from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Wish they'd dropped it from iOS 8.4 because my iPad is terrible at wifi. Drops probably about 6 or 7 times a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ffocused wrote: »
    I found 8.4 excellent so far.
    iPhone 6+ safari much faster & no reloading page errors.

The guardian and a few heavy sites pretty much insta killed safari before it. Orientation switching was a bit glitchy as well, seems improved now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Afaik discoveryd is still in iOS 8.4. It’s the iOS 9 betas that it has been removed from.

Ah yes, you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Haven't noticed it on the iPhone 6. but iOS 9 is around the corner that should give a good boost to your iPhone 5.

Yeah, why's that then? They're surely not focussing too much on an old device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

They very much have a lot of focus on older devices, they try to support devices for around 4 generations as they need to

a) keep the customers happy and make them into return customers

b) they are now a devices and services company, even though they sell vast numbers of new devices every year, they need to ensure that when you buy a device (phone/pad what ever), that it's useful for a good duration so that you will buy music/storage etc.. from them.

iOS 8 runs on 6/5s/5/4s

There's nothing worse for trying to flog new devices than to have a rep of sh1tting on the previous generation every year.

Even when they switched from ppc to x86, they ensured that the bulk of the software would run via rosetta so that they didn't totally fcuk off their customer base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

brophs wrote: »
    Yeah, why's that then? They're surely not focussing too much on an old device?

Apple is still supporting the iPhone 4S (albeit i think this will be the last update), that came out in 2011. As a comparison, Samsung stopped supporting the S2...when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Zhane wrote: »
    Apple is still supporting the iPhone 4S (albeit i think this will be the last update), that came out in 2011. As a comparison, Samsung stopped supporting the S2...when?

The iPhone 4S will run iOS 9 when it comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

None of the issues I am experiencing with iOS 8 have fixed the wait continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Went to do this since yesterday and it says Update Requested. Have tried doing a hard reset but it didn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

kitten_k wrote: »
    Went to do this since yesterday and it says Update Requested. Have tried doing a hard reset but it didn't help.

Are you updating OTA or via iTunes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Just on the phone itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm not sure but it seems like battery life has been worse on my iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 since the update. I'll give it a few more days but it seems like it isn't lasting as long, I never normally notice anything like that after an update.

The iPad is definitely slower, waking up with the home button as well as Touch ID login is a lot slower, I noticed it instantly.

Haven't tested the music service much but hasn't had any crashes so far for me. Only thing I noticed is that iPad playlists were duplicated.

Hopefully iOS 9 fixes some of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Everything seems normal with my iPhone 5. Going to have to get used to how the music app looks again. Have turned off Apple Music. It's my work phone and I'm just not bothered with it. For now anyway.

Has anyone else noticed that the sound level of podcasts seems to have dropped? It's harder to tell if the music levels have changed, but definitely the podcast level has come down on my iPhone 6. It's almost impossible now to hear someone talking on a podcast when I'm outdoors, even at full volume. I'm not sure if it's iOS 8.4 or not, but it would be quite the coincidence if it was something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Have you checked the volume limit in settings? Or maybe tried another app? I use Pocket Casts and haven't had any trouble at all with podcasts being too quiet.

Zcott wrote: »
    Have you checked the volume limit in settings? Or maybe tried another app? I use Pocket Casts and haven't had any trouble at all with podcasts being too quiet.

Yeah I've checked the volume settings - although there isn't a specific one on the Podcasts app - and it's disabled. It wasn't an issue last month, so I have to assume it's 8.4. I'll try a reset and see if that helps.

Advertisement