Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Really sure if this goes here, but Im a mature student so....

Options
  • 30-06-2015 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hiya I’m currently involved in a research project with Waterford Institute of Technology looking at collective memory. The part of the project I’m working on is focusing on the formation of national identity and of the teaching of history in the Irish education system since the inception of the Free State in 1922. We are hoping to review how the Irish version of Irish history was delivered in various text books within education and look at changes to content and context over time.

At present I’m trying to find old history text books used in primary and post primary education from 1922 up to 1990.

I was educated in the UK and my kids left school in 2013 so I actually have no idea of even the titles of books used in schools during this time - let alone know where to get copies of these old out of date books!

If anyone out there in Waterford, East Cork or South Tipp has copies of their old history text books clogging up their cupboards/presses that they could either lend me so I could photocopy, even better take the books off your hands to be included in the archive at Waterford Institute of Technology that would be fantastic!!:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

Sounds like an interesting project! Suggest maybe getting in contact with local school principals, history teachers, etc. and maybe they might be of some benefit, hopefully pointing you in many right directions. Maybe they would even have some of the books you require squirreled away in an attic somewhere. I could probably ask the local schools here in South Sligo for you. In fact my alma mater, founded in 1901, was closed about 12 years ago to become a community school. It merged with another ancient edifice from the late 1800s so history abounds, even if ancient texts do not. Send me a pm if you'd like me to attempt contract.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In the late 70s we used:
    'Ireland 2' by P Holohan
    'Ireland 3' by ME Collins
    and 'Europe 1763-1970' by H Gough
    for Inter. Cert.

AFAIK the Christian Brothers used to publish their own books, so if you got one of them that would cover a large proportion of schools.

Advertisement