Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'I just ran 5km, is anything (eek!) possible now?' log

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

mel.b wrote: »
    Thanks Annapr and Firedance :) I had a look at the clearlier plan and it's way too advanced for me at the moment. I also think the HH Intermediate plan is also too advanced for where I'm at currently. I did some googling and managed to find this plan from Women's Health

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/sites/womenshealthmag.com/files/pdfs/intermediate-10K-plan.pdf

What do you think of that? I think it's much more realistic of where I'm at at the moment. It's only 7 weeks long but I could double up on some of the weeks. I'll have to try and play around with the days a little as I'd like to keep supporting my local park run on a Saturday and there is a running group that go out on a Tues evening so if I could start to join them that would be great and it would also help me meet new people.

Now to just find another event to target :D

A little late to the party here but hope you don't mind a little input.

In terms of the intervals I think that you would get better bang for your buck by reducing the length and increasing the number of reps. It will allow you to hold form better at pace than trying hard to hold effort over an extended period for a mile.

Something along the lines of this sort of progression over 8 weeks would be beneficial fitting into the plan attached replacing the intervals

10*1 minute @ 5k pace, 90 sec easy jog
    6*2 min @ 10k pace, 90 sec jog
    8*75 sec @ 5k pace, 90 sec easy jog
    5*3 min @ 10k pace, 2 min jog
    12*1 min @ 5k pace, 75 sec jog
    4*4 min @ 10k pace, 2.30 jog
    8*1 min hills hard, 2-3 min jog
    3*5 min @ 10k pace, 3 min jog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Thanks Myles, I'll give the first one a go tomorrow night. I'm just back in from the group run and it was really enjoyable. There were three of us at the same pace which was great. We did 7km in 52:48 so 7:32min/km so I'm happy with that :)

So I had a go at week 1 of the intervals posted above by Myles Splitz and it was fun - a nice break from just 'running'. What wasn't so fun was trying to do them with the dog, especially when he either decided to cut in front of me at a slower pace than I was going or when he decided it was now time to try and jump on me. We'll get there eventually :rolleyes:

I actually ended up doing 11 reps as rep 4 and 10 didn't record properly on my phone. So i probably should have done another one, just to have 10 to list below, but what I'd done was enough! They were meant to be done at my 5km pace - my best 5km time is just over 35min so around 7min/km. I ended up doing them a bit faster than this, not sure if that is ok or not - I just did what I felt I could manage. No way i could actually run 5km at that pace though!

1. 6:26 min/km
    2. 6:11 min/km
    3. 6:03 min/km
    5. 6:37 min/km
    6. 6:05 min/km
    7: 6:17 min/km
    8. 5:51 min/km..not sure how that happened - must have been a down hill section :pac::D
    9. 5:58 min/km
    11. 6:23 min/km

Back into the Parkrun today and a PB: 33:59:D:D Absolutely delighted with that! I have no idea of splits as I'm using an old phone at the moment and I couldn't get it started so I didn't know how I was going. I felt like I was doing well and got the furtherst ever around the course before being overtaken by the winners so had an idea I was doing ok, so so happy to sneak in under 34min! Myself and my neighbour then joined the parkrun organisers afterwards and got to learn about uploading the results, so will give that a go and help out in the future too. Also brilliant to see the numbers in Ennis increase to 58 today I think. Over the summer there was only 20-30 people so the increase was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Congratulations!!! Delighted for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Brilliant :) well done! and good on you getting involved in helping out too :)

A good with last week with a PB and 2 back to back runs as well as going out with the running group for the first time. Not 100% sure on times etc as I'm using an old phone while mine is in for repairs.

Mon: 5 km walk with Cooper
    Tues: 7km run in 52:48 with the running group
    Wed: Intervals 10 x 1min @ 5km pace with 90sec jog + 1km warm up & cool down
    Thurs: 6km walk with Cooper in the am, strength and conditioning class in the evening
    Fri: 7km walk with Cooper
    Sat: 5km park run in 33:59
    Sun: 8km run. Not sure of the time but it was sloooow.

This week the plan has
    - 5km run, 6.5km run, intervals and 10km run.

I'll be doing 7km with the group on Tues night, and the intervals the following day. Just need to work out the 10km as on Sunday I'm taking Cooper to our first Canicross event which is a 5km run with him. Saturday I will do the parkrun again. As I'm travelling with a neighbour I won't be able to stay to do another 5. If I take the parkrun nice and easy would it be ok to then do another easy 5km later in the afternoon to make up the 10? Or would it be better instead to tag a few extra km onto the group run tomorrow and then just do the intervals and two 5k's one each on Sat & Sun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hey Mel, just catching up here and I see you got great advice from Myles, who is a famous coach around these parts! You can see the effects already of the interval training on your 5k time. Those shorter intervals are really great for building up speed... they were my favourite part of the Clearlier plan.

Regarding your 10k dilemma... I think the point is to try to have a continuous longer distance... At the same time, if you miss one it's not a big deal. Running again after the parkrun should be ok, so long as you're not tempted to overdo the parkrun! Could you do a couple of warmup km instead?

Thanks annapr :) I've decided i'll head out for a couple of km before meeting the running group and will be able to get the 10km in that way. I share lifts into the parkrun with my neighbour, so not ideal for getting the extra km in. I plan on taking the parkrun easy anyway as i have the canicross event on Sunday so want to see how Cooper & i get on at that.

• Advertisement

Yay, got my 10K in tonight :) Did the first 3km by myself and then timed it perfectly to meet up with the group just as they were about to head out and do the 7km route. Unfortunately don't have a tme but I think it was a little slower than last week - it didn't feel as hard as last week anyway. The hardest thing was probably the weather - after 2 months of near perfect weather for running it was a bit of a shock to the system to be confronted with darkness and misty rain :eek:

Interval session done for the week. I realy shouldn't complain about the weather because it's going to get a while lot worse before it gets better again :eek:

The plan for tonight was 6x2min @ 10k pace. I did:
    1. 6:47min/km
    2. 6.45 min/km
    3. 6:45 min/km
    4. 6:06 min/km
    5. 6:23 min/km
    6. 6.25 min/km

Some of those are similiar to what i did last week for the 10x1min @5k pace. So i don't know if that means i should try & run the 5km ones faster, these slower or what? It's all learning at the moment - until a few weeks ago i thought i only had one speed in me!

I'm also finding i'm enoying these sessions which i wasn't expecting. Partly because they are finished so quickly that makes a nice change, but also tonight when i started my warm up the legs felt tired & a bit sluggish but by the last one i was actually noticing that my legs felt really good - if only the lungs felt the same!

Another week done :)

Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 6km am walk with Cooper, 10km evening run with running group
    Wednesday: Intervals 6 x 2min @ 10km pace
    1. 6:47min/km
    ` 2. 6.45 min/km
    3. 6:45 min/km
    4. 6:06 min/km
    5. 6:23 min/km
    6. 6.25 min/km
    Thursday: 6km am walk with Cooper, evening strength & conditioning class
    Friday: 4km walk with Cooper
    Saturday: 7km trail run with Cooper
    Sunday: Today we headed up to Finnamore Lakes near Lough Boora in Offaly for a Canicross Ireland rally. Canicross is running with your dogs. There was a 5km (approx, I think it was a bit shorter but didn't have the gps to measure properly) run that we did. Cooper already has a running harness but to do the canicross you have to wear a special belt so you can run hands free. I've been very hesitant about trying the belt as I was afraid that if he would pull me I wouldn't be able to brace myself or stop him :eek:. They had belts there to use if you didn't have your own which was great. Right from the start wearing the belt and walking Cooper around it was very comfortable. Cooper and I started at the back of the pack ( because he isn't always great around other dogs so we gave them space) and when they set off, Cooper was off as well! I could really feel the strength of him pulling me along and initially I had my hand on the lead, but I got brave soon enough and took them off :o . I'd say we went out quickly enough due to the excitement but he soon settled down. We got the first lap finished with just a little pit stop and also trying to jump & play with the photographer and then it was onto the second lap. The belt was really comfortable and it made such a difference - not once did he try to jump up on me or even weave or cut in front of me. I was so proud of him, he ran the best he ever has :D. During the second lap he stopped a couple of times for a quick drink so that gave me a breather, and we ended up crossing the finishing line (last) in 32.04. If it really was 5km it would be a PB, but I'd say it was closer to 4.5km. We thoughly enjoyed ourselves and then got to try bikejoring which is where the dog pulls a bike which was great fun as well.

Plan for this week:
    Tues 7km
    Wed intervals - 8 x 75sec @5km pace
    Sat 5km
    Sun: 10.5-11km

Brilliant! love the sound of that Mel :) well done Cooper!!

Here's a pic of Cooper & I from yesterday :)

65d419f9-44af-46e8-bf12-b61edb445b28_zpscemad3wf.jpg

Back in from my Tues night run. I must say, reading all the DCM race reports was great inspiration for getting out there. It was a perfect night for it though with thhe moonligh, stillness in the air and mist in the fields. I also felt like i ran really well (finished the 7km in about 50min, no splits or exact time unfortunatley) and it was a run where i was just so greatful that i started and stuck to this :)

• Advertisement

I had a brain wave last night (it does happen occasionally :P) There is a running track directly opposite my work where I can do my intervals :D That means I don't have to worry about Cooper while doing them and especially now that it is dark in the evening it will be a lot easier than worrying about where i am going.

So I packed my running gear this morning and at 5pm on the dot I went and got changed and a few minutes later was out. The plan for tonight was 8 x 75 sec @ 5km pace, 90sec jog. I did a 1km warm up and then:
    1. 5:16min/km
    2. 5:16min/km
    3. 5:30min/km
    4. 5:41min/km
    5. 6:18min/km
    6. 5:36min/km
    7. 6:20min/km
    8. 5:40min/km

Obviously I went out waaaaaaaaay too fast for those first two and to be honest I couldn't hold the pace I started at for the entire time so I think I need to slow down (I've been trying to post a pic or two showing my paces and how it increases but photobucket is being a right pain in the a$$e:mad:). Also reading Fifa's log, The Muppet posted a link to calculate training paces. So with my best 5km time of 33:58, for a 200m interval I should be aiming for 6:30min/km? How much more beneficial is it for me to do what I did above compared to aiming for 6:30ish? If I did do 6:30ish pace, how much would you expect to see the 5k time come down (or is that a 'how long is a piece of strink question?) Just wondering, because I was sort of :o able to go faster, should I continue like that or slow down?

After getting home just after 6 I was able to take Cooper out for his walk, so I think this brainwave of mine is a keeper :p

I've also signed up for Run Clare 2016 series which is 4 runs, starting with a 5k run at the end of Jan and cumulates in the Sonny Murphy 10mile run on the 10th April. This run goes straight past my house so that is extra motivation :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm really, really far from an expert, so hopefully someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong - but my understanding is that you probably don't want to be running as fast as you can in these kinds of sessions for a number of reasons like: you'll increase your risk of injury; you'll wear yourself out and that will lead to increased recovery time before your next workout. If you're trying to improve your 5k speed, you should probably be running your intervals at about 10% faster than your race pace. You should also fully recover between intervals by walking or jogging slowly until you feel fresh again.

I think.

Hi Mel, I'm very far from an expert too but here's my understanding of speed & paces

1) I couldn't hold the pace I started at for the entire time so I think I need to slow down. Yes, if you couldn't hold the speed then you are going to fast, your splits need to be consistent, also its better to record the time it took you to do the 200m than the pace (to do with GPS over shorter distances).

2) So with my best 5km time of 33:58, for a 200m interval I should be aiming for 6:30min/km? How much more beneficial is it for me to do what I did above compared to aiming for 6:30ish?

To run 5K in 33:58 means your avg pace was 7:47per KM, you'll notice your prescribed speed pace is faster than that (6:30), if you practice running short distances at 6:30 that is what will help bring your 5K time down, does that make sense? If you practice running faster than 6:30 you run the risk of getting injured, pushing yourself too far & burning out etc.
    FYI this is another well known calculator https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/#modRep Jack Daniels gives different results based on your 5K time but he also gives you some good explanations behind each of them and talks about the recoveries etc too.

your main goal is to improve in small increments and without injury so at this point do everything on the conservative side, including your speed.

Thanks, i'll try & slow down (never thought i'd have to say that!)

Parkrun this morning, was a great morning for it. Finished in 34:08 so just 9 seconds slower than last weeks PB. I actually got really hot on the run today - I was wearing a t-shirt and my full length running pants and the heat in my legs really got to me. I don't have splits as my phone was playing up and has my recorded as doing 6km, however I know I kept people in sight for a lot lot longer than I normally would. The first finisher today was just 10sec off the course record and had run the Dublin marathon on Monday in under 3hrs :eek: He and the second & third guys passed me out pretty early (they also ran the DCM) - I knew that they were flying it, but the 4th finisher only passed me as I was vering off for the last lap - one of my goals is to not get lapped so I'm getting closer to that :P Volunteer duties next weekend :)

• Advertisement

Long slow run today. Plan called for 6.5 miles. I work in km so had planned 10.5 - 11km. Just as I was coming out onto the main road, about 60 horses went past - turns out they were coming back from the opening hunt of the session. So in trying to manage Cooper, making sure he didn't upset any of the horses or get kicked in the head as we went past them, I forgot to start runkeeper. I'd easily done a km and was thinking 'this is the longest km ever' before I checked it :o So, finally got it started and on we continued, up our usually hilly route. Cooper acted up a little bit between km 2&3 but really was much better than he has been and didn't try to jump up on me at all. Since the canicross last week I've also been practising 'line out' with him, trying to get him out infront and praising him when he is and it seems to be working and he's learning what it means. At km 3 I runkeeper told me that my average pace was 2min faster than it was 2km. There was no way this was possible so I knew the gps was off. A couple of the next few km's also seemed to come around sooner than I expected. However we were further down this road than I'd ever been (even when just walking Cooper), so I thought when I added the extra km on that I missed, maybe it was right. Reached our turn-around point at what I thought was 5km and headed back. Cooper ran really well all the way back, out in front pretty much the whole time, no doubt wanting to get home! Get home and runkeeper says 9.3km and I think, well add in the extra km and I'm pretty much spot on, but then I measure the route on google maps only to discover that it was only 9km :mad: I had it in me to do the extra Km's as well, so dissapointed that I didn't get them in. Not sure what the time was as the phone battery is now dead (I can't wait until I get my new phone this week...or even better - a garmin (one day :P)

Week Summary:
    Monday: 6km walk with Cooper
    Tuesday: 6km walk with Cooper, 7km run in 50min
    Wednesday: Intervals 8 x 75sec @ 5k pace with 90sec jog + 1km warm up & 4km walk with Cooper
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: strength & conditioning class
    Saturday: 5km in 34:08, 7km walk with Cooper
    Sunday 9km (approx)

Plan for this week:
    7km, intervals 5 x 3min @10k pace, 2min jog, 5km, 11km, & one strength/conditioning class

Edit: Just worked out i have lost 11.7kg since starting this log :D

Last week was a very bad week :( I walked Cooper Monday night and then did nothing until Thurs night with my gym class. Saturday and Sunday Cooper got good long walks. I'm fortunate that my neighbour walked Cooper a couple of times during the week so while I was sitting on the couch being completely lazy at least he had been exercised. Not sure why last week was so bad. There was no motivation there at all, and I wasn't feeling 100%, so probably a combination of the two. However I'm back into it now and hopefully no more hiccups like that.

I didn't go out with the running group last night, but went instead with Cooper when I got home from work. We did 6.76km with an average pace of 7:54 in the rain and wind.

Tonight was intervals night. 5 x 3min @10k pace with 2min between. I was much more conscious of trying to slow these down and run at a more even sustainable pace and I think I was a lot closer to acheiving that tonight.
    1. 3min, 0.50km, avg pace 6:05
    2. 3 min, 0.46km, avg pace 6:38
    3. 3min, 0.46km, avg pace 6:41
    4. 3min, 0.44km, avg pace 6:54
    5. 3min, 0.46km, avg pace 6:46

I really enjoyed this workout and the pace was comfortable to keep, although I could feel I was having to put more effort in with the last one. Actually just looking at the Jack Daniels VDOT running calculator I probably ran them a touch slow (should have been around 6:35) but at least I'm a lot closer to the mark than last time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

I've been reading through your log this morning so thought it was only fair to post.

Firstly, massive congratulations on the progress so far. You've come a long way both in running and weight loss. I suggest you take a look back and consider all you've achieved in 5 months. Think in terms not only of running but all the benefits that go with it. Energy levels, sleep patterns, motivation, mental state, general well being. And give yourself a pat on the back.

As the weather gets worse and the days shorter it's always that bit harder to push ourselves out the door, so remind yourself why we do this in the first place.

For motivation purposes I suggest you plan a target race over the winter. The Fields of Athenry 10k on Stephens Day may suit. It's a great event, I usually make it. Also, running with friends is a great help so keep up the running group and the parkruns, every week doesn't have to be a pb attempt.

Training wise, I think you need to have two main goals. One is to increase the milage. The other is don't get injured. You achieve number two by being sensible about number one. Increase milage in small increments, and keep the pace conservative. People new to running can obsess a bit about timing and paces, I know I did. I guarantee you that if you can consistently run 30-40 km per week, at any pace, your race times will come down a lot. The interval sessions are OK, and fun, but be careful not to overdo the speed. It is during recovery from our runs we get stronger. If we go too hard the recovery is slower and we risk incomplete recovery which leads to injury, and tears.

Sorry for the rambling and completely uninvited interjection. I'll be keeping an eye on the log.

snailsong wrote: »
    I've been reading through your log this morning so thought it was only fair to post.

Firstly, massive congratulations on the progress so far. You've come a long way both in running and weight loss. I suggest you take a look back and consider all you've achieved in 5 months. Think in terms not only of running but all the benefits that go with it. Energy levels, sleep patterns, motivation, mental state, general well being. And give yourself a pat on the back.

Thanks :) I've had a few people ask me if I feel different as a result of the changed eating and weight loss. The honest answer is I don't actually notice any difference in energy, sleep etc. Generaly health wise, I had bad reflux and that is gone and I'd say I had borderline IBS which also seems to have gone so they are changes that I am very thankful for. And obviously, shopping is a lot more enjoyable now :p
    As the weather gets worse and the days shorter it's always that bit harder to push ourselves out the door, so remind yourself why we do this in the first place.
    Part of the session I had with the psychologist was about imagining my life taking two paths - one where I continued what I was doing, making no changes and the other was making the changes and committing to them. As you said, it's something that i need to remind myself of when I might need to HTFU & get out there.
    For motivation purposes I suggest you plan a target race over the winter. The Fields of Athenry 10k on Stephens Day may suit. It's a great event, I usually make it. Also, running with friends is a great help so keep up the running group and the parkruns, every week doesn't have to be a pb attempt.
    Yes, I need to find something to keep my focused. I've signed up for the Run Clare series, but it's a bit far away and the first in that is only a 5k. I'll have a look at the Fields of Athenry. I'm not 100% sure of my Xmas plans yet (have flights booked to Amsterdam for Xmas but not sure if I will go), so if I decide to stay in Ireland it could be a goer. I will try and keep running with the group as I enjoy it, but it's some juggling to fit in as I still need to walk Cooper and that then means getting up early to do so. I think that's partly why I had the week off - I was just feeling burnt out from trying to get up early to walk him a couple of times during the week so I could fit in the evening commitments. At least if I run bymyself I can take him with me, so I'll see. Unfortunately I can't do the parkruns again until after Christmas as I have picked up some overtime in work so I'm hoping when I do one in Jan that I'll have taken a bit more off my time :D
    Training wise, I think you need to have two main goals. One is to increase the milage. The other is don't get injured. You achieve number two by being sensible about number one. Increase milage in small increments, and keep the pace conservative. People new to running can obsess a bit about timing and paces, I know I did. I guarantee you that if you can consistently run 30-40 km per week, at any pace, your race times will come down a lot. The interval sessions are OK, and fun, but be careful not to overdo the speed. It is during recovery from our runs we get stronger. If we go too hard the recovery is slower and we risk incomplete recovery which leads to injury, and tears.

Sorry for the rambling and completely uninvited interjection. I'll be keeping an eye on the log.
    No, thankyou for your ramblings, they are very much appreciated and taken on board.

This week I managed the Tues 6km run and Wed intervals as described in an earlier post. Thurs was strength & conditioning and it's nice to see that starting to pay off. I'm starting to get some muscles and when I started I couldn't even hold a plank. I can now...not for long, but I can do it :o

This morning I took Cooper out for our first bikejoring training session which ended too soon due to a puncture so I then took him for a 4km walk. With the horrible weather I didn't plan on doing anything else, however my neighbour asked me if I'd go for a run in the afternoon. I said as long as it wasn't raining I would. Of course, it starts to rain moments after we headed off! We stuck it out and got in 6.30km in 46:15, avg pace 7:19. My splits aren't great...they got seriously worse as the run went on (6:27, 6:43, 7:01, 7:45, 7:50, 8:03). Partly going out too fast and partly battling the wind & rain. However I felt great afterwards and it really wasn't that bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done on getting out the door at all. That's a success! I ran in a 5 mile race yesterday in conditions I've never before seen. Torrential rain and gale force wind. Still enjoyed it and had a bit of crack with my friends. There's a moral in there somewhere.

Don't worry too much about the splits. As you correctly pointed out if you finish slower than you started then you probably went off too fast. On your easy runs try to start off at a very comfortable pace tjat you can hold. If it feels too easy towards the end you can always speed up for the last bit. That's a better experience all round. In fact the same goes for racing, if you finish faster than you start you're doing it right.

If you can't make Athenry there are other options. Resolution run 5k in Galway is on New Years day I think. The Athenry Ac website has good listing of races thereabouts, Mayo Ac website for Mayo, I don't know about further south. There's a very nice 10k in Ballina on December 6 I think, I'll check that, if it's not too far or too soon.

Have been getting my mojo back towards the end of the week. The first half was a wash out given the weather here in the west.

Thurs continued with my strength / conditioning class.
    Friday: 7.30km in 59:44, 8:11min/km. Splits: 7:38, 8:35, 8:46, 8:35, 7:45, 7:43, 8:20, 8:02. It was a beautiful evening for a run, cold, but so still. It just felt great to be out there.
    Saturday: I had to work Saturday, but got home in time to take Cooper out for about 50min doing some bikejoring. This is very much a learning curve for both of us but it's lots of fun.
    Sunday: Sunday morning started with a short 30min bikejoring session with Cooper and then a lunch time 8km run near Mullaghmor in the burren. It was an absolutely spectacular day and it just feels so good to be be out and part of it. Ran this with Cooper and my neighbour and my splits were very even (Cooper was a great pacer today, although that's not always the case as can be seen from Friday nights splits!) 7:35, 7:22, 7:48, 7:42, 7:47, 6:56, 7:41, 7:43. Total time 1:00:41, pace 7:34.

Wow, I knew I hadn't updated this in a while, but didn't realise it was November when I last did :o

I've continued to keep running although not as much as I had been doing. I ended up trying to go for a run once or twice a week at lunchtime during work. I found this worked much better than trying to get a run in in the evenings when it was dark. Living in the country doesn't give me a lot of safe options for night time running. On the weekends I've been building up a long run.

I'm still working overtime on Saturdays so haven't been able to get back to a Parkrun since the first one of the year. I'm happy to see that another one has started in Clare (Kilrush) and also that the Limerick one has started so I'll definitely be engaging in some parkrun tourism when the Saturday work finishes.

Late last yr I signed up for the Run Clare 2016 series which starts with a 5km, then a 5mile, 10k and finally a 10mile in April. The first 5km event was last weekend. I'm delighted to say that I did a 5km PB :D I still don't know what my chip time was :mad: but my clock time was 33:35 and the time on my phone was 33:04, so I'm hoping i snuck in officially at 32:59 :P as it was a few seconds afer crossing the line that I stopped the phone.

Then this morning I just did a 10km run. This time last yr, the local 10km run was on in the village. I was doing the 7km walk with Cooper but watching everyone set off for the run I remember thinking 'next year I want to be doing that' and this morning I did. Well I didn't do it with everyone else - my running partner is volunteering for the run, so we did it ourselves early this morning. My time was 1:15:38 and I was delighted with that. It's about a minute slower than the 10km I did for the Galway Bay run, but that was in a group with the 'race' element and this I essentially did the whole thing by myself as my running partner is a bit faster than me. So I'm confident that when the 10Km comes up for the Clare Run series that I'll be a good few minutes faster. I was really happy with my splits too as they were pretty even
    6:46, 7:22, 7:31, 8:20 (massive big long hill), 7:31, 7:19, 7:29, 7:36, 7:52, 7:39.

The nights are already getting longer, which is making it easier to get out for a run in the evenings again so I'll most likely drop the lunchtime runs. The plan is to continue to slowly increase both the weekday mileage and the long run on Sundays to get ready for the 10mile in April. Then I've got my eye on the Kerry Half marathon in July if the 10mile goes well :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Yay! Glad you're back posting :)

Arghh, so didn't get around to posting last weeks run.

Tues 9th Feb did a slow 7.32km with Cooper, avg pace 8:11
    Splits:7:32, 9:12, 8:33, 7:41, 8:43, 8:03, 7:46, 7:40

Not sure what happened the rest of the week. Got out on Sunday then for a 10km in Fanore which included some trail running on the green rd in the Burren. Had to take it easy in places due to the surface, but it was a great, challenging run, made all the better that the last 5km were all down hill (after the first 5 where all uphill!).
    Splits: 6:59, 7:12, 7:27, 9:27, 8:27, 7:51, 6:59, 7:12, 7:38, 6:53 (don't know where that burst of speed came from at the end as the last km was flat!)

This week I was in Copenhagen for a few days so I took my running stuff with me. Copenhagen is lovely and flat!!

Wed 17th: 8.12km avg pace 6:50
    Splits: 6:50, 6:17, 6:22, 6;51, 6:58, 7:19, 7:09, 7:02

Thurs 18th: Woke up and it had snowed! Made for an interesting run around 'the lakes' in Copenhagen. 7.02km avg pace 7:32
    Splits: 7:12, 7:38, 7:51, 7:41, 7:28, 7:37, 7:17

Sun 21st:10.30km, avg pace 8:41. This was an interesting long run with Cooper. My runs with Cooper are always slower, but parts of the trail were still flooded which meant balancing on logs trying to get across, scrambling over rocks and even a bit of bush bashing when the flooded section was just too big. Ontop of that I had Cooper on a bungee lead, so while I was trying to balance on logs, he was trying to pull me into the water as he wanted to play. To top it all off, we saw a couple of squirrels so Cooper tried to throw some sprints into the mix for me!
    Splits: 7:26, 9:03, 7:19, 8:17, 9:01, 12:03, 10:02, 8:13, 8:12, 7:24, 8:08

I've posted a question in the random running thread asking what long slow runs I should be doing between now & the 10th April for a 10mile race on that day. Inbetween I've got a 5mile on Sunday next week, and a 10km on the 26th March.

3 runs in this week, including the Michael Egan 5Mile memorial race in Quilty. This week has all been about the fantastic weather we have had and how good it is to get out in it. Amazing the difference it makes

Tues 23rd: 8.08km with Cooper, in 1:3:02, avg pace 7:47
    Splits 7:06, 8:21, 8:26, 7:58, 7:21, 8:02, 7:25, 7:42

Wed 24th: 5.82km in 45:16, avg pace 7:46
    Splits 6:59, 7:56, 8:11, 8:01, 7:44, 7:46

Sun 28th: 8.22km in 54:55, avg pace 6:42
    Splits:5:49, 6:15, 6:30, 6:46, 7:15, 7:17, 7:00, 6:59, 5:35 (for last 200m)
    This was the Michael Egan 5mile memorial, held in Quilty, Co.Clare. We had just fab weather for it - apparently last year it was snowing! I was debating before hand which top to wear and decided to go with the short sleeves, even though it still felt chilly. It was the right decision as it didn't take long for the sun to break through fully and to warm up. I saw others still wearing beanies, etc and I don't know how they were doing it. I could have gone for 3/4length pants as well I think.
    I'm going to have to get better at trying to remember the race. I know when I heard the first km marker on my phone that I was amazed with my pace as I didn't feel like i was going that fast. That's the fastest km I have run. What's a bit demoralising is that so many people were still passing me, but I just remind myself that this is my journey and to be proud of what I have accomplished. Second and third kms I push on, still happy with my pace, not much going through my mind other than how many kms to go. Around 4.5km a long drag starts - my pace slowed a bit here, but I didn't really notice the drag. By now, a lot of people around me are doing run/walk, but I push on - I'm not going to walk. Km 7 and there is a nice downhill section but I'd been warned about a nasty uphill section just when you think you're finished. Sure enough, turn the corner and there it is. My pace drops again (to around 7:30) and I'm pretty much the only one around running (if you call it that) but I wasn't going to walk up the hill. Up at the top of the hill and it's all downhill to the finish so I start to get moving again. At the entrance to the GAA pitch there are a couple of women I know calling my name so that was great motivation and as I turn the final corner and look at the time I can see it's approaching 55min so I put on the final sprint to try and get under it. I don't quite make it and my clock time was 55:04, however my offical chip time came in at 54:55 so I am delighted with that :)

This weeks plan is a couple of runs in the 7-8km region a 12km run on Sunday, taking in a lot of the Sonny Murphy 10mile route.

• Advertisement

Feeling such a buzz, just back from my longest run to date and it felt great :)

Went to see the physio earlier this week as my hips have been getting achy, so had some work done on them, given some stretches and strengthening exercises and also told to invest in a foam roller.

Wed8km. 1:08:55, avg pace 8:36.
    Splits: 7:22, 9:19, 10:15, 10:01, 8:15, 7:52, 7:38, 8:09
    I knew from the first steps that this was going to be hard work. I don't know if it was the session with the physio the day before, or a hang over from Sundays race or even that I'd left it an extra day (would normally run on a Tues), but every step felt like I was going through concrete. This route includes a long steep uphill section which doesn't help the pace.

Fri: 7.28km 58:34, avg pace 8:02.
    Splits: 7:03, 8:35, 9:20, 8:37, 7:39, 7:34, 7:38
    This run was a complete contrast to Wed evening. Everything just felt good and easy. The only thing was Cooper deciding to really act up for a couple of km, which ended with me giving him a time out(!) so he could calm down. The last 3km particulary were nice and even.

Sun: 12.34km, 1:29:39, avg pace 7:15
    Splits: 7:04, 7:26, 7:24, 7:10, 7:24, 7:33, 7:25, 7:00, 7:00, 7:12, 7:18, 7:20
    I went out this morning with a group of local girls who are all training for the Sonny Murphy 10mile in April. They had 14km planned, but having not done more than 10km, I didn't want to jump straight to 14km, so I met them 2km into the run. I can't believe how good I felt both during and now after the run - I really don't feel like I have just run 12km. I'm delighted with my pace too and the relative eveness of the pace - makes such a difference not having Cooper with me. I ran with one other girl for the entire distance so it was great to have the company. I remember thinking when I heard the 8km come up on my phone that I only had 4 to go and that I was feeling comfortable and confident that I'd be able to continue at that pace to finish the 12km. The weather was also pretty good for running - cool and crisp with a little bit of drizzle. I left some water at about the 5km mark and carried it with me for the rest of the run, but I only had a couple of sips from it.

Total for the week: 27.5km

Plan for next week: 1 - 2 shorter runs (5ish km) during the week, 8km Sat, long run (maybe 14km Sunday). Not ideal to have the two longer runs back to back but my running partner has been out ill and wants to do the 5mile route from last weekend and can't do it until Sat so I'll be doing it with her to keep her company.

I love this weather - why can't we have it like this all the time? (Although a few degress warmer would be even better!). Makes it so enjoyable to get out and go.

Had planned to run Tuesday night, but wasn't well at work, felt very lightheaded, eyes weren't keeping up with my brain (or vice versa!), the girls were very worried at one point I was about to faint. While I was was feeling somewhat better by the end of the day, I thought it wasn't a good idea to run that evening.

So Wed evening, took myself off the doctors for some blood tests (have been feeling tired, lightheaded etc on & off for a while so after yesterday thought it was best to get things checked), waiting for the results now. Got home & took Cooper out. Had an easy 5km planned, but Cooper had other ideas and was not the slight bit interested in running. He had been for an 8km walk earlier in the day so that's all I can put it down to, although he's a malamute and is meant to want to work all day long :rolleyes: So we had a short 4km walk instead.

So Thurs was my 'better late than never' run. 6km with Cooper, avg pace 8:25, 51:03 in total. Splits 8:04, 8:33, 9:10, 8:27, 8:05, 8:17,

Saturday evening headed back to Quilty to run the 5mile route again, it was such a beautiful evening to be running by the sea and we had a lovely sunset to greet us on the nice downhill section home. Total distance 8.12km, avg pace 7:10, 58:21 in total. Splits 7:05, 7:22, 6:59, 7:17, 7:14, 7:32, 7:15, 6:42. This is just such a great run and it felt great.

This morning headed out for my long run with two women from the local running group. Most of the group had done their long run yesterday so it was just the three of us today. Unlike last week, I ended up running this all alone. One of them had done the 8km last night as well. By 2km they were already ahead of me and those first two km today were faster than the first two from yesterday and this was meant to be a 'slow' run :eek: I just knew I a) wouldn't be able to keep up with them at that pace and b) wouldn't make it all the way around if I kept going, so I really just slowed down (helped by a big, long steep hill that is between km 2 & 3 :p) and ran it at my own pace. It really made me appreciate the person who stayed with me for the entire run last week even though I was running significantly slower than what she would do (even for a slow run). I found it a lot harder to pace myself more evenly today so there is quite a bit of variation in my splits and the hill towards the start makes it a tougher run than last weekend (that and the extra couple of km :D). The last few km were tough, but I kept going and was delighted to have made it all the way around without having to stop. I also carried water with me all the way around for the first time and was very grateful towards the end to have it.
    Total distance: 14.82km, 1:53:44, avg pace 7:40
    Splits: 6:57, 7:03, 8:13, 7:42, 7:17, 7:17, 7:42, 7:36, 8:17, 7:26, 7:52, 7:58, 8:03, 7:55, 7:52
    Feeling confident that I'll at least be able to make it around the Sonny Murphy 10mile in April now.

Now I just have to get Cooper out for a walk later :eek: He wasn't very impressed at me for leaving him behind this morning.

Total for the week: 29km (close enough anyway;) )

Another week i'm really happy with.

Tues: 6.46km, avg pace 8:52. Total time: 57:24 Trail run with Cooper after work.
    Splits:9:05, 9:01, 8:10, 9:27, 9:24, 8:15, 8:36
    Nothing remarkable about this run except it was a beautiful run through the woods with Cooper after work. For such a great evening we didn't see a single other person out and about. Splits are very slow because Cooper wanted to do lots of stopping and sniffing.

Thurs: 10.23km, avg pace 7:12, total duration 1:13:48
    Splits: 6:37, 7:03, 7:10, 7:55, 7:59, 6:52, 7:01, 6:58, 7:11, 7:17
    This was a great run, early in the morning in beautiful weather again. Headed out with my neighbour. Really happy with my pace. There are a couple of big hills on this route that slowed me down but otherwise I really enjoyed this run. This was ran without Cooper and there is a big difference in my splits!

Sat: 5.30km, avg page 7:58, total duration 42:16
    Splits: 7:59, 7:51, 7:51, 8:04, 8:09, 7:53
    Anther slow trail run with Cooper, took it nice and handy

Sun: 15km, avg pace 7:28, total duration 1:52:08
    Splits: 6:54, 6:57, 6:51, 7:54, 7:23, 7:52, 7:32, 7:52, 7:53, 7:50, 6:58, 7:14, 7:31, 7:40, 7:34
    This was a brilliant run this morning. Headed out with my neighbour again and a couple of other girls. We split off after about 3km onto two different routes. The first 3km were ran a bit faster, but we managed to slow down, especially with the hills that started to come once we turned off. Psychologically, this was the best long run I've had. I don't know if it's that I'm starting to get used to the distance now, or the route but for the past few long runs I've been thinking 'oh that's 4km done, I can get through another 10km', etc but I didn't have that thought once today. I know we were about half way around and it felt like we were almost finished because from about km 8 onwards is part of a route that I'd walk with Cooper regularly so I felt like I was already on the home stretch. Plus, after all the lumps and bumps and long drags, km 11 was a nice long downhill section which was a lot of fun. I was feeling good at around km 13, so I tacked a little bit extra on that included an out and back of a short sharp hill. I figure it will help with the last few km of the Sonny Murphy in a few weeks which has a bit of a lumpy final few kms.

Total for the week: 37km - woah didn't realise it was that many until just now. Thought it was closer to 34-35.

Saturday next week is run 3 of the RunClare 2016 series, the Eamon Moloney 10k in Ennis. I want to give this a really good bash so I'm going to take it easy during the week, probably Tues & Wed just 5k each and then the 10k on Saturday. That leaves me with the dilemma of what do for a long run on Sunday. Last week I did 8km & 14km on Sat/Sun, this weekend was 5km/15km so I don't know if I should do 10/10 or a few more on Sunday, taking it nice and easy (easier than today). Any suggestions would be great. The Sonny Murphy 10mile is the 10th April.

So this arrived today :D

1d512ff6-3bd7-46e2-a9ad-ca6e20abfbf3_zpso5sc3eku.jpg

Took it out for an easy 5km this evening. First impressions are that I like it, but that it will take some time getting used to not having audio cues at every km, telling me my split pace etc and having to focus on the watch face while running to read it! I also wish it autopaused a bit faster. It seemed to take a whie to autopause, but then restarted with the tiny bit of movement. I think with an old garmin I had, you could set how long before it would autopause, but I can't see that setting anywhere. Finally it didn't seem to come with a tiny little protective cover for the usb connector on the back of the watch. I thought it was a bit odd when I opened it up and there wasn't one but just assumed that is how they were meant to be. But then watching a video on the polar website, it has on one it, so I presume there is meant to be one. I ordered it online so I might shoot the company off an email to see what they say.

I'm used to hearing avg pace & split pace from my phone app. I was a bit confused when trying to customise the training views in the polar software. At the moment for the main screen I have 'last lap speed/pace', 'lap speed/pace' and 'distance'. Are the first two correct to give me avg pace and split pace equivelents?

Tonights run 5.10 km with Cooper, time 45:02, 8:47 avg pace
    Splits:7:44, 10:07, 09:46, 8:12, 8:07
    Just a simple out and back, nothing remarkable at all.

I also got my blood tests back. I'm borderline B12 deficient (level was 231, deficient is below 200, but my levels have dropped from well over 2000 since last tested) and I'm also low in Iron (level was 6, but don't know if this was Iron, haemoglobin etc). So I have to have a B12 injection and iron tablets for 3mths and then we are going to retest. Rather irrationally I'm dissapointed that my B12 levels have dropped so far. I thought with the improvements I have made in my diet that they would have stabilised, but I guess it turns out that I'm one of these people who can't absorb B12 (or absorb it well enough), rather than it being purely diet related.

Thanks :) I actually barely looked at it tonight, helped by the fact I had a long sleeved top on that covered it. When I did try to look at it, I found it hard to focus as I was bobbing around but I guess I'll get used to it. Just so used to having the audio feedback every km instead.

In the configuration it has:
    -speed/pace,
    -avg speed/pace,
    -max speed/pace,
    -lap speed / pace,
    -automatic lap speed/avg pace,
    -automatic lap max speed/pace,
    - last lap speed/pace

so you can probably see why I was confused about which ones to have! I don't care about what my 'current, at this very moment' pace is as mine varies so much, so overall avg pace and split pace for the last km is what I want to know. So would it be avg speed/pace & last lap speed / pace?

my post seems to have vanished! it does that on my phone sometimes :)

definitely avg speed/pace because that's the average for your whole run.

Firedance wrote: »
    my post seems to have vanished! it does that on my phone sometimes :)

definitely avg speed/pace because that's the average for your whole run.

I wondered where your post went!!

Race Report - Eamon Moloney 10k Ennis

I'm buzzing - massive PB this morning :D

This was the third race in the RunClare201 series and my second offical 10k race after the Galway Bay 10K last October. I was determine to give this one a good bash - I didn't want to feel like I could have done better when I finished.

I collected my race pack last night (t-shirt as I was one of the first 400 to enter, bottle of lucozade and a big mug thing for hot drinks, all in the small red bag) so it meant a relaxed morning this morning. Up at about 8, had breakfast of a cinnamon & raisin bagle and did some housework before having a shower and then some stretching and rolling. I live about 15min drive from Ennis so headed off at 10.20 and got a car park close to the start/finish line no bother. I had purchsed a new pair of 3/4length pants yesterday and was tossing up what to wear on top. After standing outside the car for a few minutes I decided to throw on my very light running jacket and I'm glad I did. Found my neighbour and the others from the local running group and had a chat before moving up the start line. Some of the faster girl headed up closer to the start but I hung back a bit as I didn't want to get too carried away at the start. Before we knew it, the race had started and we were on our way. Just after we crossed over the timing mat, someone pointed out a drone above us, filming the start I presume. I gave the drone a bit wave and hope someone posts the footage online as I'd love to see it.

Reach the first km marker and I check my watch: 6:05. Ok, that's fast, not as crazy as the 5mile in Quilty a few weeks ago, just keep going and see how you go. Somewhere between km 1 & 2 we get a (thankfully shortlived) torential rain shower with sideways rain and I was greatful for having decided to put the jacket on. Thankfully it stopped as quickly as it started and I got the rest of the way around without it raining again. Km 2, feeling good, 6:17 min/km, happy with that, feeling like I have settled into a rhythm . Kms 3 - 5 pass with some small ups and downs, a few people have started to walk, but I'm continuing to feel good and power on. Water was at about 4.5km and I take a bottle and hang onto it. I find I have trouble swallowing (does this happen to anyone else:confused:) and I start to panic a little bit if I can't swallow. Having the water with me means I can take a tiny sip if I can't swallow. I notice at the 5km point my time is 31:54 which would be a 5km PB. Turn the corner at about 5.5km and there's a garda there giving out encourgament which was nice. It's a nice long straight run back into Ennis from here, however we had also turned directly into the wind which made it harder. My splits had crept up, but avg pace was ok. I was running by myself at this point and there was a group ahead of me. I tried to close the gap to them to try & get some shelter from the headwind but just wasn't able to. However I am picking off people here and there as we get closer to the finish so I'm happy with that. I conscious that I'm well on track for a PB so I keep pushing. In the last km, I see ahead of me a girl I think is another neighbour and she's started to walk the occasional few steps. I catch up to her and tell her there's not much more to go, to keep going. We run together briefly and I then I move ahead - I'm picking up the pace as we get closer. The finish line is getting closer, around one last bend and then a sprint to the finish. I put on a final last spring and hopefully a smile for the camera and make it across the line :D

Watch time 1:05:23, waiting for offical chip time.
    Splits: 6:05, 6:17, 6:17, 6:38, 6:35, 6:46, 6:47, 6:38, 6:49, 6:22

I've taken 7mins :eek::D:D off the my PB from the Galway Bay 10k which was 1:12:25.

I'd been secretly hoping for 1:05 but really didn't think it was realistic and that something about 1:07 would be more like it, especially give my 5mile on the 28th Feb time was 54:55.

I am completely delighted as I think I did give it everything I could. Next up is the Sonny Murphy 10mile on the 10th April for the final run of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Great race :) congratulations on the pb!!!

• Advertisement

Brilliant :) well done Mel - on the water thing I think its probably just practice to drink while racing, I used to gulp (too much) water now I take a few sips and dump the rest, sometimes all we need is to wet the mouth & throat (not the case during a hot summers race obviously!) It won't be long before the 5K & 10K are sub 30 and sub 60 respectively :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done on your PB! :)

Firedance wrote: »
    Brilliant :) well done Mel - on the water thing I think its probably just practice to drink while racing, I used to gulp (too much) water now I take a few sips and dump the rest, sometimes all we need is to wet the mouth & throat (not the case during a hot summers race obviously!) It won't be long before the 5K & 10K are sub 30 and sub 60 respectively :)

Thanks Firedance. I have started to take water with me on my long runs now and just have little sips. I think the problem is more that my mouth seems to get dry and then i can't swallow so i start to almost panic because i need to swallow and can't. Having a tiny sip of water seems to be helping though.

Here's hoping for those sub 30 & 60 pbs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Congratulations on the PB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

just read the whole thread and so delighted for you. I was at the first three of the Clare Run series as a supporter and thought to myself I'd love to be a part of it. I only started running myself end of Jan after many years of no real exercise. So today I ran my first 5k without stops. Hope to be doing the Clare Series next year as a runner not a supporter. great log. thanks

just read the whole thread and so delighted for you. I was at the first three of the Clare Run series as a supporter and thought to myself I'd love to be a part of it. I only started running myself end of Jan after many years of no real exercise. So today I ran my first 5k without stops. Hope to be doing the Clare Series next year as a runner not a supporter. great log. thanks

Well done on the 5k :). I have loved the series, the runs have been fun and its great motivation. You should head down to the parkrun in Lees Rd on a Sat morning as well.

• Advertisement

I didn't get a chance to do an update over the weekend and time slips away quickly!

Sat was the Eamon Moloney 10k in Ennis

Sun 27th March: Slow 9km total time 1:09, avg pace 7:37. This is a lovely route, although it has some good hills in it. The legs weren't feeling too bad after Saturday's effort.
    Splits: 7:23, 7:33, 7:24, 8:02, 8:10, 7:46, 7:12, 7:33, 7:37

Tues 29th March: Slow 8km with Cooper, total time 1:07:52, avg pace 8:27
    Splits: 8:16, 8:13, 10:00, 8:57, 7:49, 8:46, 7:38, 8:02
    Not much to say about this one, other than it can be frustrating running with a dog!

Fri 1st April: Probably about 1.5km :(
    Tried to head out for a run iwth Cooper but he just wasn't interested in running and was stopping every 20m to sniff and investigate and I got annoyed with all the stopping and starting and gave up and walked instead.

Sat 2nd April: 5.56km total time 43:05, avg pace 7:44
    Splits: 7:00, 7:49, 7:45, 8:11, 8:05
    Made up for yesterday by heading for a run after work in Lee's Rd in Ennis by myself. This meant I then had to go home and then give Cooper his walk as well but it was a better option than constantly stopping and starting. I remember that I found the first km tough and I was significantly slower than the 10k i had done the weekend before. It made me wonder how I managed the 10k at that pace!

Sunday 3rd April: Long run 13km, duration 1:35, avg pace 7:14
    Splits:6:54, 7:09, 7:02, 7:37, 7:43, 7:24, 6:57, 7:16, 7:28, 7:10, 6:58, 7:20, 7:15
    Headed out with my neighbour for a long run, an extended loop from the weekend before. I was really happy with how I felt and the pacing and if I can get around the Sonny Murphy 10mile at a similiar avg pace then I'll be really happy. I was really happy to see that my pace on the hills stayed under 8:00.

Tues 5th: 5.6km, duration: 41:48, avg pace 7:22
    Splits: 7:16, 7:57, 7:28, 6:56, 7:22
    The legs were still feeling a bit sore from Sunday, but surprisingly felt really good when I ran, not heavy at all. I was also delighted as this run was with Cooper and probably the best he has ever done with very little mucking around. I was probably also a bit stricter with him, pulling him along, rather than letting him stop and sniff. Maybe because I was also going a bit faster than I normally would it kept him engaged and moving. Whatever the reason, I was on a bit of a runners high when I got home :p

Thurs 4th: 5.69km (ran 4.25), duration 46:32, avg pace 8:10
    Splits: 7:12, 7:03, 7:36, 7:05, 10:21
    Very important lesson learnt on this run - do not eat a load of chocolate brownies immediately before you run. My tummy was cramping badly and it was closest I have come to having a toilet disaster since I started back running. I actually had to stop running at the 4.25km mark due to the cramps and we just made it back home in time - sorry TMI :eek::o Anyway, lesson learnt! Other than that, it was another good run with Cooper.

So Sunday now is the big day with the Sonny Murphy 10mile in Kilnaboy. Feeling relatively confident about it. I have no idea what time to aim for or expect, so I'm just going to go out and do what I can.

I also today signed up for two half marathons :) My theory was if I waited until after the Sonny Murphy and it went badly then I might never want to run again but by having another race committed to, I have no choice now :P
    So I'm going to do the Run Killarney half marathon in July and then for a treat and a week away I'm also going to the Rock n Roll half Marathon in Lisbon in October. Wish me luck :eek: :cool:

wondering how you got on today in the 10 miles ? I've really enjoyed reading your log - going to save it and follow it for myself.

Thanks thesimpons - just back in from a little celebration :D

Sonny Murphy 10mile Race Report
    Probably like much of the country the weather was pretty horrible here in Clare and I was NOT looking forward to heading out in it. I was up in my room, doing some rolling beforehand and the cat was on the bed. It made one of those noises cats do when they stretch out and then make themselves comfy and all I was thinking was 'that's what I want to do too!'

The race today was at 1pm so I took it easy in the morning - had my normal pre-run breakfast of a cinnamon & raisin bagel. At 12 just before leaving I also had two peanut butter rice cakes & an immodium just in case :eek::o

I decided to go for my 3/4 length pants simply because they are proper running ones. My longer ones aren't and if it rained they would not be very nice to be wearing. I also wore my shortsleeve top, windproof running jacket and took a beanie and gloves with me.

It was bloody freezing and the wind was blowing a gale so I decided to wear the beanie and gloves and I'm glad I did. I honestly don't know how people can wear just a t-shirt and shorts in this weather - obviously they run a lot faster than me!

My neighbour said she wanted to stick with me and not get too carried away. She suggested a pace around 7:30min/km. Considering we'd done a long run last weekend at 7:15min/km I said we could aim for more around that pace, but that'd we'd probably end up a bit faster. Secretly I was hoping for around 7:00min/km, considering I had done the 10km a few weeks ago at 6:30min/km but I wasn't really sure what to do / aim for so I didn't have a specific target in mind and was just going to go with how I felt.

The first three miles were tough - undulating and directly into the wind - at times it was like hitting a brick wall, especially if you were trying to run uphill at the same time a gust came along. Pace at around this time was in the mid 6:30s (min/km) and I mentioned to my neighbour that we were flying. She asked if I wanted to slow down but I said that I was feeling ok and to keep going. I picked up a bottle of water at mile 3 and held onto it until just before the finish, having little sips when i needed.

The highlight of miles 4 - 7ish was the wind at our backs. Ahhhhh:D Really gave you a push at times which was nice. By this stage my neighbour was probably 20-30m or so infront of me, not getting any further ahead but just enough that I couldn't really catch her. From about the 6mile mark I started to overtake a few people as well which was good encouragement to keep going.

The mile 8 marker was just at the entrance to the housing estate where I live. I had thought that it might be a bit hard to run past there, as my runs always finish there and knowing I still had 2mile to go could be a bit depressing. However I sailed past without a bother, helped no doubt by the fact that the rain had stayed away. If it was pouring with rain it may have been a different story. A neighbour was out cheering us on so I ditched the hat & gloves at this point as well as I really didn't need them.

Miles 8 - 10 are probably the hardest of the Sonny Murphy - it's more undulating again but your legs are now tired. I had a home town advantage in that I'd ran this section a few times so I knew what to expect and I'm glad i did. However I'd always ran it at the start, never on tired legs. My neighbour was still that bit in front of me but I just kept going as best I could. Past the 9 mile marker and shortly after that my watch beeped for the km marker and I knew there was just 1km to go. It's not an easy last km though, with an uphill and then a drag to the finish line. However I put everything I had into it and reeled in the girl in front of me and then caught up to my neighbour with a couple of hundred metres to go. I said to her to push on to the finish and then I was able to pass her to finish 8 seconds ahead :D I did feel a bit guilty about passing her though when she'd been that bit ahead of me since about mile 4 :o

Absolutely delighted to finish my first ever 10mile in what were pretty tough conditions. Just so glad the rain stayed away. Gun time was 1:50:21, no chip times given, however my watch time (which I started as we went over the start line) was 1:50:01 so I'm going with that :D. Would have loved to have found an extra 2seconds somewhere though :p

Splits: 6:32, 6:35, 6:45, 6:29, 6:44, 6:46, 6:31, 6:40, 6:38, 6:53, 6:40, 7:09, 6:37, 7:00, 7:07, 6:55
    Avg pace: 6:44min/km

Overall, I really really enjoyed today's run. When I signed up for the series this was the only one i was really worried about and now I'm just so proud of myself for having accomplished it and at that pace. As a series finisher we also got this which I am pretty proud of...
    run%20clare_zpstubabsps.jpg

Next up now is the Wings for Life in Melbourne on the 8th May :D

well done you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Brilliant, well done mel, great running in those conditions :) That's a nice round number to smash the next time you head out for a 10 mile.

• Advertisement
Advertisement