Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Releasing an EP

• 30-06-2015 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

So,

After many months in a recording studio, the time has now come to get the thing mastered and think about releasing it.........or do we?

You see, I have been watching many bands getting their debut EP into their hands and immediately heading off to the big smoke to hire a venue for a couple of hundred hoping that a crowd will come to hear their thang. This is without any promotion and zero national radio play?

Why do we do this? As much as I am tempted to rush away with my newly printed EP to the soapbox and declare to everybody how great our music is, Im inclined to sit on it a while. You see there are a couple of question which need answering;

1. Do we make a music video first for whatever song we deem suitable for the first single.

2. Do we set up our Website, Breaking Tunes account, Twitter and facebook pages first.

3. Do we employ one of the many, many, many money munching, artist-laden promoters out there to sweeten the Station Managers in order to get our song on the radio.

4. Do we just release digitally.

5. Should we skip Dublincentric Ireland and head straight to Poland and work back

I'm not sure, and I'd like your thoughts on this, but I think its very easy to get caught in the age old trap of releasing too soon, just for the hell of it, to an audience who wont come along to your release because A., they have never heard of you and, B. They have never heard of you.

So, The bottom lines are Music Video first, Then use the Vid to get the attention of program managers and even labels to get your stuff out there. Naturally, this is assuming that our songs are good, (gulp) But, I have spent days trawling through the mire of IMRO, PPI, TUNECORE, promoters, IRSC codes etc etc etc and I have come to the conclusion that there really is no definitive, step by step way of getting your sh1t on the radio.

Has anyone any thoughts?? :D:D:D:D

P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you gig? As support, or headlining? If not, why not? If you are, do an "album launch" at a location that you find yourselves received well.

Check your local radios. See if any of them play your sort of music at certain hours of the day/week, and check if any of the DJ's are partial to local music.

1. The music video; depends on funds, and if anyone can shoot a video well. Gig in a room, or mix of gig and randomness? Yes, both are metal, but it's hat I like. The video must suit your target audience, though.

Put feelers out, and check if any of the band member knows someone who makes half decent videos of bands. There's usually one. And offer cash, and none of this "we'll give you credit" crap.

2. Facebook page, and a domain name that redirects to your Facebook page. Have seens a few bands do this, and then set up a page at a later stage when they have merch to sell.

3. Meh. Some can be worth it, but what sort of music are you playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭greenpilot

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you gig? As support, or headlining? If not, why not? If you are, do an "album launch" at a location that you find yourselves received well.

Check your local radios. See if any of them play your sort of music at certain hours of the day/week, and check if any of the DJ's are partial to local music.

1. The music video; depends on funds, and if anyone can shoot a video well. Gig in a room, or mix of gig and randomness? Yes, both are metal, but it's hat I like. The video must suit your target audience, though.

Put feelers out, and check if any of the band member knows someone who makes half decent videos of bands. There's usually one. And offer cash, and none of this "we'll give you credit" crap.

2. Facebook page, and a domain name that redirects to your Facebook page. Have seens a few bands do this, and then set up a page at a later stage when they have merch to sell.

3. Meh. Some can be worth it, but what sort of music are you playing?

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. Yep, we gig a lot, but because we stay well away from the Dublin scene, we wouldn't be well known as yet. We have supported Deacon Blue, Crowded House, Imelda May to name a few, but it was mostly to cut our teeth at bigger gigs. We play pop, but its piano led stuff, funky drummer, really good bass player and moi on keys and vocals. Google The Paul K Band, or look up " An evening with the Paul K Band " on youtube. That be us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

greenpilot wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Yep, we gig a lot, but because we stay well away from the Dublin scene, we wouldn't be well known as yet.
    In the venues you'd usually play in, would you headline much?

Or is there a local promoter who'd know? In Dublin, some lad called "H" organises a good few of the metal gigs, and he'd get bands in the venues where they'd be appreciated; the pubs would usually have him source the talent. Look for such a promoter who organises said gigs, and see he'd have an idea that would suit your music. From the lineup, I'd say you've come in contact with at least one who does the gigs for a number of pubs.
    greenpilot wrote: »
    We play pop, but its piano led stuff, funky drummer, really good bass player and moi on keys and vocals. Google The Paul K Band, or look up " An evening with the Paul K Band " on youtube. That be us.
    Not my sort of music at all at all, but I'd say you'd be able to get some "easy listening" airtime if you found a radio DJ that played your genre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭greenpilot

the_syco wrote: »
    In the venues you'd usually play in, would you headline much?

Or is there a local promoter who'd know? In Dublin, some lad called "H" organises a good few of the metal gigs, and he'd get bands in the venues where they'd be appreciated; the pubs would usually have him source the talent. Look for such a promoter who organises said gigs, and see he'd have an idea that would suit your music. From the lineup, I'd say you've come in contact with at least one who does the gigs for a number of pubs.

Not my sort of music at all at all, but I'd say you'd be able to get some "easy listening" airtime if you found a radio DJ that played your genre.

Lol....I figured that. Thanks for the help. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wotwotwotwot

I'll answer what I can. Don't take my words as gospel but, 1 half of success is listening to others, the other half is deciding who's full of crap.

1. If you do make a music video make sure it's one of the last things you do to promote your EP because it's only news once. Find a good director, think of an interesting "twist." What makes your video unique? Anybody can shoot a video of just them preforming the song and being "anybody" isn't good enough today. Put it in your press kit to show the press you're serious about music, put it on Facebook, casually mention it at your gigs. But only if it's worthy for others to see.

2. You've said you've supported plenty of acts and you're yet to set those things up, I'm really surprised. Buy a domain, it legitimatises your band to a decree have it redirect to your website for now but eventually you'd want content and when that comes decide if you want to hire a web designer or use a wordpress style template. Pick 1 or two outlets and focus on them social media wise. Facebook and twitter are your best bets. But if you can only focus on one I'd recommend Facebook. I have plenty of research on effective social media posts that are beyond the scope of this post but the gist is post regularly but don't spam, disable all forms of auto-posting apps and the most important is show, don't tell i.e. post images and videos accompanied by text rather then just text.

3. You can try it if you want but don't go out of the way on unnecessary expenses. Try simply emailing radio DJs first, most are very kind, very passionate about music and will love to play your song if they think it's suitable for the show. Be professional, courteous and to-the-point.

4. In the first half of 2015 in the United States CDs accounted for 49% of music sales, digital accounted for 46% and vinyl accounted for 5%. Do with this information what you will. If you ask me for a independent band CDs are definitely not necessary for a successful album release but you might want to investigate the possibility of a handful of physical CDs in 1 or 2 independent stores in cities where you have a high volume of fans.

5. Every band is different and there's no one-size fits all answer for this however don't underestimate the benefits of having your home behind you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement