Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of renovating a period stone house?

Options
  • 30-06-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

hi all

I know this is a broad question but I need some kinda baseline to start from.

we would like to renovate a period property & make it as eco as possible.
    we actually viewed a house last week which fits the bill but need some ballpark kinda figures to work out a budget.

the house is a 1930s 2 storey farm house in need of total renovation. 3 bedrooms upstairs, 2 mian rooms downstairs 2 small rooms to one side & a rear toilet/shower room.
    it has a fairly recent fuseboard & mains water. the roof is concrete tiles prob from 70/80s so we may want to change them for slate. it will need a rewire & replumb also.

1. we would like to insulate it as air tight as possible & reckon interior insulation is the only option. plus loft insulation & of course.

2. fit double glazed sash windows.

3. use some kind of heat exchange system either ground source or air to water.

4. use a water reclaim system.

5. use solar or wind to supply electricity.

I have heard that there are grants for some of these items. if so do you have to be living in the house or can you apply for them as you renovate???

yee probably think we,re mad & should look at a new/build or self/build but that would be too easy!!!!

cheers all
    ivan

Advertisement