Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 day in New York

Options
  • 30-06-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm heading over to the states soon and I'll have one full Sunday to spend in New York city. Never been before and very excited. Would like to see quite a lot if possible, but I need to get back out to New Jersey that evening.

Couple of small questions that I'm hoping people will help me with:
    1. Do any of the big ticket items in New York close on Sundays or is that an Irish thing only?
    2. I'm staying in New Jersey on the Saturday and need to be back last thing on Sunday, what transport should I get?
    3. Any recommedations for someone who's fond of the video game/geek culture?
    4. Do i need to tip for everything or just service based transactions?
    5. Any other suggestions? :)

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You only tip for 'service based transactions' such as taxis, restaurants and bars but not in fast food places like McDonalds.

Remember that in all of the shops the sticker price is net of tax which will be added at the cash register and which in NYC is 8.875%.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

There's a one day transit pass you can buy thats really good value isnt there?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Where are you staying in Jersey? I use the Northeast Corridor train from Penn Station, and that runs pretty frequently. There are other train lines and also plenty of bus options running from Port Authority.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

Most tourist attractions close on Mondays here, but check websites for opening hours before you go. You may also want to buy tickets in advance for some things.

For city views, I prefer Top of the Rock to the Empire State building - there are three viewing levels at Rockefeller Center, and if you go all the way up to the third, there are no barriers between you and the view, which is great for taking pics. It also tends to be less crowded that the Empire State.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hi!

I'm staying in Short Hills in NJ. So it looks like it's about an hour's journey? I had a quick look at that page you linked to and I found a stop for short hills on it to penn station.

Cheers for the attraction advice! One other quick tipping question. I've been in touch with the hotel concierge (or equivalent) and asking some questions, do I need to tip them when I get to the hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

RedXIV wrote: »
    Cheers for the attraction advice! One other quick tipping question. I've been in touch with the hotel concierge (or equivalent) and asking some questions, do I need to tip them when I get to the hotel?

No - hotels have many concierge's. Tip as you receive services directly from one.
    and even then $5 is more than enough. Granted if he gets you into a hard to get into restaurant or goes above and beyond, then $10. But don't stress too much about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

1. I'm staying in New Jersey on the Saturday and need to be back last thing on Sunday, what transport should I get?
    PATH trains nearby?
    1. Do i need to tip for everything or just service based transactions?

In the States, there are minimum wages, however, some occupations are exceptions to the law. Waiters, waitresses, and bar-tenders, for example make less than minimum wage because tips are expected. Tip them.

Other people to tip - cab drivers, maybe the doorman if he helps you with a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ceidefields

Lived for 20 years in NYC & NJ, here's some info:

Do any of the big ticket items in New York close on Sundays or is that an Irish thing only?
    Only an Irish thing.

I'm staying in New Jersey on the Saturday and need to be back last thing on Sunday, what transport should I get?
    Depends on where you are in New Jersey, but most likely NJ Transit

Any recommedations for someone who's fond of the video game/geek culture?
    Try Two Bits Retro Arcade on the Lower East side: https://plus.google.com/104487915061843626561/about?gl=us&hl=en

Do i need to tip for everything or just service based transactions?
    There'll typically be a space on the credit card receipt where you can tip, if a tip is appropriate. Restaurants, taxis, bars ($1/drink), hairdressers etc. So yes, service based transactions.

Any other suggestions?
    Put on sunscreen, wear a hat and bring water when going around Manhattan - very hot n humid at this time of year. Times Square is good but very touristy - if you want to experience it nicely, go to the cafe/bar on the 8th floor of the Marriott hotel. You can have a nice drink and look at all the lights/craziness below.

HTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thanks for all the help guys, heading off now! Will take all your advice on-board!

Advertisement