Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Game Collecting

Options
  • 30-06-2015 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I've been collecting for a few years now and have been gaming since like, forever. I'm going to be turning my stall that I run in Wexford Indoor Retail Market in to a gaming one soon (I hope) (from a bric-a-brak/antique) stall in to a gaming one.

I've came across a lot of cool stuff along my way but the biggest find, it turns out, that I came across was not a game at all, and indeed it was a book! "Half Life: Raising The Bar". These things go for well over 100e on ebay and it was just sitting on a book shelf in Enniscorthy!!!

This made me jump all over the place and act like an idiot for days! The fact it was gaming related and not antique was a crazy, random bonus. That got me thinking, really...

Anyway, maybe someone here can help me; After "trying out" a few games at my stall last week (mostly gameboy and 2600 games as they were small and I dont really collect for them unless boxed) I did eventually come across a few like minded customers who bought some games and some of which will be coming back to trade and buy next week.

I really wish there was a way to connect to more like minded people like this. I collect for PS1 primarily and this pair of customers that liked collecting for N64 so trading was like adult Christmas for us all as they had no affinity for PS1. I got Parasite Eve, VR Missions etc/they got Bomberan 64, Mario Cart... you get the idea.

They also bought stuff, which keeps me buying, which keeps people collecting and so on. I just wish there was more of a discussion on it really because I don't believe that the majority of gamers are just modern console gamers! I believe they are the loudest because they always are and God knows, when Metal Gear Solid 1 came out, so was I... but I feel like an alien sometimes, surrounded by my friends who don't show the same interest or even acknowledge the existence of video games here in Wexford, and I plan on making some sort of Haven where you can come play, buy or trade games in a friendly environment. Hell, the stall already even exists I just need to make the commitment and get enough stock to start.

BtW, I am a 27 y/o musician studying in Ballyfermot College during the week. I have not got lots of money, quiet the contrary. I hope to hear from some people out there that long for that itch to be scratched, like I have, because reading back over this now I actually think I might be crazy myself :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

We have regular meet ups here with regulars on the forum. Subscribe to the arcade and retro beers thread, there's usually a few of them every year. It's always open to new comers and you can come along and meet the other crazies and get in fights about NTSC 60 Hz and whether Sonic or Mario were better (although it mostly ends up talking about Red Dwarf). All that while playing the worst games known to man (for whatever reason it's never the good stuff).

You don't need a whole lot of money for collecting, I was a student and then on the dole for an extended period and picked up some niceties. Now that I have a job I've the same lack of money since I've moved on to more morish retro games like expensive japanese saturn stuff and MSX games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CuriousYellow

Haha ^^ That sounds amazing :D I'm straight on that.

Thanks for getting back to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know Retr0, I haven't heard what his position on Streets of Rage/Goldenaxe is yet, or how much he loves Fire Warrior......
    Otherwise a Beers is a great chance to meet, greet and play the great and terrible.

Actually, I have a plan for the next one to be held in mine, though I think O1s1n was talking about hosting the next one.

This literally sounds right :D

Comparing **** games, worst voice acting, getting pissed and not remembering why you are in a different county haha :D

I'll bring a few Midas Games as tribute and a surprise good one sher lol ^^

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This literally sounds right :D

Comparing **** games, worst voice acting, getting pissed and not remembering why you are in a different county haha :D

I'll bring a few Midas Games as tribute and a surprise good one sher lol ^^

We're already massive fans of Sniper 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    We're already massive fans of Sniper 2.

You are forgetting Escape from Bug Island.
    I wish I could forget Escape from Bug Island.... :(

Titenic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    ...and MSX games :)

good... gooooood
    palpatine.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There's an idea for your next speed painting...the Emperors Throne Room from RotJ, with some green & red saber illumination :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

Collect ps1, ps2, ps3, game cube and Wii.

Got about 100-150 ps1 games.

200-300 ps2 games, mainly going for the rare one. Hoping to get the dot.hack games soon.

Just to remind people, while it is wonderful to buy and sell retro games and keep the scene alive and welcome new people to said scene, this is not the forum to sell, buy or make enquiries about prices.
    We have a subforum within which people can engage in such things, though the prices thing should be facilitated by a little googling and searches on EBay, not on any thread where it descends into unsolicited messaging and other associated bull that'll get you reprimanded here.
    Please, use the Marketplace subforum, taking care to read the rules and, if you want to post something and you're not sure if its permissible, give the dedicated moderator there a PM and discuss it with them.
    Thanks

Advertisement